“Very elegant Hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans

You added The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   921 Canal Street, New Orleans, LA 70112 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #29 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Very elegant Hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2009

The rooms were in tip top shape. The staff was awesome and went above and beyond of my expectations. Highly recommend the hotel with easy access to the French Quarter and wonderful restaurants!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
New Orleans
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2009

My wife and I stayed here during Mardi Gras this year. This was our first stay at the RC in New Orleans, but we both regularly stay at RC's around the world. Upon entry, the hotel is beautiful, except for one of the elevator's which had some graffitti in it (you can tell that they tried to clean it up, but it was still visible). The check in was fantastic, as we were even able to get into our room at 10am. The room was wonderful and very nicely appointed. The club room was always very clean and cocktails were made available to us throughout our stay. The breakfast was good, but the same each day. Snacks were served each day during lunch and dinner hours and were of a nice variety. My wife had to ask for Jack Daniels during the bar service (they did not have any until she asked and some was retrieved from another bar in the hotel). All in all the club service was very good, especially since it was a very busy weekend. We really only had three chief complaints... First, we had come back to the room and wanted to take a short nap. I had called for two wake up calls to make sure that we got up. The first came, but the one that was supposed to come 10 minutes later did not. We ended up oversleeping and arrived very late to our dinner reservation at Emeril's. The second complaint was that our room was very noisy. We overlooked the courtyard, but could hear hallway noise and specifically in our bathroom, we could hear the conversations in the room below us. It made for an interesting stay, but I am sure that the couple staying below us would not have wanted some of their sexually explicit, private conversations overheard by others. The third, and largest, problem came when the shoe shine service lost our shoes. We send them to be shined (two pair of mine and two of my wife's) on our first night and they were lost. We finally were able to get them on the day of our arrival. We ended up having to go out to buy new shoes to wear with different outfits. When I called to complain, the manager did offer to remove the charges for one of our room nights. Both my wife and I found this to be reasonable. All in all it was a very nice experience, except for losing our shoes.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2009

My husband & I went with another couple. We had an absolutely delightful time! We are all seasoned travelers, and have enjoyed many fine hotels experiences worldwide. This hotel blends one part warmth of the south,one part fun atmosphere of New Orleans with two parts Ritz Carlton elegance and service, the result is a winning formula! We thoroughly enjoyed the club level food.... a good selection of healthy and gourmet nibbles & pastries baked on property. Service was excellent, great amenities, great location. Loved the spa & gym, and the selection of items to purchase there. Everything you would expect from a Ritz. It was a GREAT backdrop to a fun weekend!

• Liked — Style & elegance
  • Disliked — I wish they had more lite food venue(s)
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2009

We stayed here the day after Christmas on our way to North Carolina for a family reunion. The main reason we went out of our way to go to New Orleans and stay here was to see the Houston Rockets play the New Orleans Hornets. Of course, the Rockets were staying here as expected. Having stayed at many 5 star hotels in my lifetime (including many Ritz Carlton’s), the Ritz Carlton New Orleans is probably not up to Ritz Carlton standards in some ways but is a quality hotel nevertheless.

CHECK IN: Check In is on the third floor which was a bit odd. However, the lobby area was beautiful. While it seems like there should be more areas to sit down, it is enhanced by a large outdoor courtyard, highlighted with a giant Christmas tree. It included a novelty ginger bread house for the kids which was nice but it did not interfere with the luxurious atmosphere. The Christmas decorations around the hotel were lovely.

LOCATION: Located on Canal Street only two blocks away from Bourbon Street and in walking distance of all attractions, it appears to be the ideal location. While none of what I am about to say is the Ritz Carlton’s fault it is important to note. With our room overlooking Canal Street, it seemed like every ten minutes after midnight we would hear some music passing by. While it was loud not enough to prevent me from sleeping, you could clearly hear it and it might bother some people. So just note that with any prime location close to all the attractions, there can be drawbacks.

ROOMS: The rooms are appointed in a traditional yet attractive “French Heritage” decor with typical Ritz Carlton classical furniture with dark wood. While the bathroom was nicely appointed with carrera marble and Bulgari bath amenities, it lacked a separate walk in shower, which most Ritz’s have. On the plus side, the beds were lavishly done in Ritz Carlton style with Frette linens, feather duvets, ext. The room also had a larger than normal Flat screen TV which was very nice. However, the room had an incomplete feel: there was a large open space in the right corner next to the TV (see pictures). After the two doubles beds, TV, and desk there was no other furniture. However, it should be noted that we requested a rollaway bed so they could have been making room for that. But they could have easily accommodated a lounge chair, which most hotels have, in addition to the rollaway bed.

SERVICE: The service at the Ritz Carlton in New Orleans certainly met my expectations. Every single person I encountered, without exception, made every effort to get to know us. The concierge was very informed on every attraction around the city and the service at the On Trois lounge was unusually quick, especially considering the crowd on a Friday night before dinner. While one comes to expect this at Ritz Carlton properties, the efficiency of the restaurant service seemed to exceed expectations. However, there were was one huge caveat. No turn down service whatsoever! That indicates that the service here is probably inconsistent. So unfortunately the highest I can give the service is 4 dots.

DINING: We had hors d'oeuvres and drinks in the On Trois lounge which was a great experience. Filled with turn of the century antiques, it is probably the best place to go before dinner. However, it’s odd how they only serve afternoon tea on the Saturday and Sunday. While we didn’t eat breakfast or lunch at the hotel, I would recommend eating off-site. I have heard the hotel restaurant, Mélange, is not that good and there are so many great restaurants in the city. We opted to eat breakfast at the famous Café de Monde which was awesome. While it is more of a tourist attraction, it is still a can’t miss.

SPA/OTHER AMENITIES: While I didn’t use the spa, it looked like a superb facility. Certainly on par with the other city spas I’ve seen. I talked to someone who said it is one of the companies most award winning spas.

No pool? I stayed at two Hampton Inns in the last two weeks, both of which had pools. I don’t understand that.

VALUE: Honestly, I shouldn’t be complaining about anything. $149 per night. Yes, $149. The rates are usually lower during the holidays due to decreased business activity but this was the lowest rate I’ve ever seen for any Ritz Carlton. The recession must really be affecting them.

OVERALL: Based on my one night stay, I have concluded that this is a very nice hotel with a few drawbacks. While it is hard to make conclusions based on such a short stay, I would say this would probably your best bet in New Orleans considering its proximity to the French Quarter and the quality of the accommodations.

• Liked — location, nice courtyard area
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
fabfinds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2009

I have stayed in many many hotels all over the world and for the most part, they are all 5 star. This one is fabulous, very luxurious and formal.....very grand. Unfortunately the feeling does not carry outside onto the sidewalks, as you still see and feel the distruction and ramifications of the hurricane but upon exploring the city, you get the real feel of the city and small glimpes of what was and what it will be again. Very grand and special old city.
The rooms here, all the public spaces, the bathrooms are stunningly decorated, the bathrooms are all marble and luxurious and overall its very opulent. Wondeful scented candles burn all over the hotel and the feeling is one of understated elegance everywhere.
I would definitely go back again and in fact am going back with a group in May to attend a seminar by a few renowed chefs, so looking forward! This is a special place.

• Liked — BEAUTIFUL AND OPULENT PUBLIC SPACES AND ROOMS...VERY ELEGANT
  • Disliked — MIXED LOCATION, STILL TRYING TO GET BACK TO WHAT IT ONCE WAS AND WILL BE AGAIN.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2009

My stay here was perfect. I stay at hotels for 150 nights of the year. A summary below of things that matter to me and how the Ritz New Orleans stacked up...

- I had 2 double beds as requested. Room was large. Widescreen 40-inch tv. Nice desk to do work on. Wireless or wired internet connections ($13). Good lighting in the room. Nice chair to sit in to watch tv.
- Very minor thing, but the pens that they leave in the room are really great!
- In room coffee and tea, tucked away in a wooden box. Nice touch.
- Good air conditioning (I like it cold at night). Blankets on the bed are perfect.
- Rooms are picture perfect clean. Exactly what you would expect from a Ritz property.
- Great bathroom with lotions, shampoos. Picture perfect clean.
- Beds are outstanding. Pillows are nice and solid, and there are a lot of them.
- In room safe.
- 2 newspapers dropped off at the door in the mornings.
- Good gym. Lots of treadmills.
- Spa is nice for massages. A bit expensive, but nothing outrageous.
- Within walking distance of the Harrah's casino.
- Across the street there are plenty of drugstores, in case you need snacks or forgot toilettries.
- Umbrellas in the room in case you need them.
- Staff is very attentive, very polite and very eager to please.

Not much more to say than that. Perfect.

• Liked — Room cleanliness, all of the traditional Ritz touches
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2009

The physical hotel is quite beautiful with the entrance on the ground level and the lobby/reception on the third floor.
The staff were friendly and what they lacked in finesse they made up for in personality. The room was spacious, clean, nice amenities and the beds were very comfortable. The water pressure however in the shower was not great and the temperature did not get very hot.
I did have an interior view (rooftop) however did not mind as I certainly did not want to hear the noise from Bourbon Street. The hotel is in a great location and is very close to the action on Bourbon for those who want to party. The hotel is great to come back to as it is a quiet sanctuary away from the craziness.
I had room service on a couple of occasions and the food was excellent.

I liked that the managers were very visible throughout the hotel and always welcoming guests and asking if there is anything they could do to assist.
Expected complimentary coffee in the lobby and not $4.00 for half a cup (had to ask to fill the cup, this was not a case of room for milk).

Overall, I liked the hotel, giving it 4 stars, getting close to 5 stars just not there yet.

• Liked — Clean and comfortable
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans? Share your experiences!