“Lovely Jewel on the Cusp of the French Quarter!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans

Save Saved
You added The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   921 Canal Street, New Orleans, LA 70112 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #27 of 153 Hotels in New Orleans
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Lovely Jewel on the Cusp of the French Quarter!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

My partner and I decided to take a quick weekend getaway for my birthday. I selected the Ritz-Carlton because I wanted to see if it stands to its wonder reputation. In most regards, it's an amazing hotel. It's definitely one of the top 5 hotels in NOLA.

The Ritz-Carlton is in a very conveniently location (Canal street) right on the edge of the French Quarter and the CBD. As a native of Baton Rouge, I frequently visit NOLA for both business and pleasure. However, I have never previously stayed at the Ritz. It's easy to get to arriving from either end of canal or by driving through the CBD. Valet car service at check in is a plus and extremely convenient. Even though you're several blocks from Harrah's and the Shops at Canal place, you're still close enough to walk to all of the action. A cab ride or drive to Frenchman street isn't bad either.

The Service:
The front desk attendants were very pleasant and helpful. Check in was smooth and swift. The concierge was very attentive and accommodating. While we did not dine in the restaurant or bar area we did order room service twice. The food was delicious.

The Room:
We had a basic king room. It was very nice. Of course, Ritz-Carlton properties have plush bedding that makes for a great night's sleep. The bathroom seem a little outdated, as the regular shower/tub combo was odd. Maybe Ritz-Carlton should update its king rooms with jetted tubs or remove them completely and install large walk in showers. I also thought it was strange that there isn't complimentary in room coffee or tea.

Other Cons:
There is no outdoor pool at the Ritz. Guests do have access to the Marriott's pool. The Marriott is about 3 city blocks away and makes for a terribly inconvenient walk if you just want to to take a quick dip in the pool during the hot Louisiana summer. Parking is a little pricey at $45 per night. After taxes and fees it's right at $50 per night. If you're going to stay longer than 4 nights don't drive to the hotel. It may make more sense to use a transfer service. If you must drive seek economic garage parking else where.

The overall decor is soft and elegant. Fragrant fresh flowers and aromatic candles are always nice to have in the lobby and common areas. The courtyard was also beautiful and makes for great scenery when one wants to have their morning coffee or tea outdoors. We did listen to Jeremy Davenport one night. His band was very nice. Live music is always great.

I've been loyal to the Marriott family for quite some time. I just may return to the Ritz-Carlton soon so that I may experience more of what the hotel offers.

Room Tip: Request a room on a high floor away from the elevators.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

We stayed 3 nights at the Ritz and found it to be everything we wanted...close to the streetcar lines and close to the hustle and bustle of the French Quarter (but not too close). The staff was top notch from the valets and doormen to the front desk, concierge and waitstaff. Everyone was quick with the friendly greeting and willing, if asked, to dole out their suggestions. The concierge was quick to hand us a detailed walking tour of the Garden District which made for a great afternoon. We also enjoyed the resident musician with his band Jeremy Davenport in the bar.

Room Tip: We had a high floor overlooking Canal street and found it to be quiet and a decent view.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
south florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Old world charm with all of the amenities! One of the best lounges with Jazz master, Jeremy Davenport. The rooms are clean and comfortable with all of the Ritz amenities. Common areas are wonderful but what stands out here is the staff. They will go the extra mile to make sure your stay is a comfortable one. Located 1 block from Bourbon St. this location is hard to beat. Rates are affordable and we just love staying at this property!

Room Tip: Try to get the club level....it's worth the extra money!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
New Orleans, Louisiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We booked a suite for one night on 7/19/14 by calling the hotel directly. The cost was $599 plus all the parking fees. When we booked I was very specific that I wanted a 2 queen bed room with a sleeper couch. I let the hotel know this was a joint bachelor/bachelorette event for us in NOLA and this set up accomadated the people we had coming. When we checked in the hotel didn't have a room for us but said they would "comp" us a second king room. I let him know that's not what we wanted but he told me that was all they could do.

Our trip ended up having to accomadate the hotel instead of having a fun weekend. I probably won't be back and will go stay at another of the many nice hotels in the quarter when we return to NOLA

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
JOliver-GM, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear Mr. JohnHarr318,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with the Trip Advisor Community regarding your recent experience at The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans. I have reviewed your comments posted and I am personally following up with the departments responsible. Please forgive us for any inconvenience this may have caused.

I do hope the Bachelor/Bachelorette Party weekend was still a memorable one and we can welcome you back to The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans soon!

Best Regards,
Jim Oliver
Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Staff: Every staff person was friendly and genuine. No way to improve the staff here.

Pros:
- staff, clean, bright, courtyard, cocktails, service, quiet
Cons:
- live band from 5:30 on in the bar some nights (loud), broken up layout, weight room a bit small

Go back? Yes, I would.

Right on Canal St. which is sort of like the Vegas strip of NOLA as far as I can tell.

Room Tip: Rooms that face Canal are probably noisy, but I am only guessing.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

This is one go the top hotels I have stayed in. I had a room on the club level and they really take care of you! Free everything! This was my first time staying on a club level of a hotel. I was in town on business with several others. The location is fantastic. It was pretty safe outside at night around the hotel. This was my second time to stay in the city. I really don't care to much for New Orleans, but I had a great time staying in a nice place. When I come back I will try to stay here again.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

I am a native New Orleanian and recently stayed at the Ritz-Carlton for a bachelorette party I hosted for a college friend. We had a block of three rooms. I have stayed at the Ritz about 4-5 other times since it opened, and it is always a delight. This time, however, required a special review on Trip Advisor because it was so wonderful.

As always, the service is truly impeccable. They ALWAYS go the extra mile, including small, but meaningful, touches such as the bar staff brining us beers as we were gathered getting ready to head out for dinner or the spa staff bringing over chocolate covered strawberries for our spa bachelorette gathering.

Aside from all of the obvious things - plush bedding, the smell of perfect flowers in the lobby, and beautiful bathrooms - the constant replenishing of complimentary bottles of water in the rooms and the frequent "hellos" and "how is your stay going" from ALL staff that you may pass is what sets this hotel above pretty much all the rest in New Orleans.

I personally don't love the location - it is on the very seedy/quieter end of Canal Street - but believe that it is worth the trade off for a calm, high end respite from the howling masses of Bourbon Street and the heat of summer in New Orleans. In addition to the Windsor Court and the Roosevelt, the Ritz is the best option - hands down - in downtown New Orleans.

Random Con - There is no outdoor pool at the Ritz, and guests only have access to the Marriott's pool, which is very so-so.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans? Share your experiences!