“Overall good stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans

Save Saved
You added The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   921 Canal Street, New Orleans, LA 70112 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #22 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Overall good stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed at this Ritz over for a long weekend for 4 nights. I would say overall it was a good experience. I'll list the pros and cons to make things easy.

PROS
-Location is great as it is close enough to the action, but far enough away that you aren't consumed by it.
-Staff is great. Seriously, everyone was incredibly nice and the customer service level was very high.
-Spa was great. My wife and I each had a massage and the experience was excellent.

CONS
-The rooms are due for a rehab. They're not awful, but for a Ritz, you'd expect a little better. We had a broken shower curtain, some chipping paint, screwed up drapes, etc.
-House-keeping was average at best. I literally don't think they vacuumed our room or hallway once over the course of 4 days.
-When you're staying at a "luxury" hotel, I'm one of those people that thinks coffee in the lobby should be complimentary (not $5 a cup).

All in all this is a good hotel, but probably needs to be upgraded in the next couple years to maintain Ritz qualuty. We got a fantastic deal online which made it worthwhile. However, if I had to pay the rack-rate, I'd be disappointed. Will I come back? Probably, if we can get a good deal on the room again.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

1,245 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
Westchester County, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Just got back from a quick trip to NOLA with my kids. Booked a standard room with 2 double beds through AMEX and was upgraded to a room with 2 kings. I've been in the public areas of the RC Nola before and that was why I chose it over other properties. The library lounge and bar lounge are elegant, old-school, and traditional, yet comfortable. The interior courtyard is beautiful and lush. All of the service we received was prompt, efficient and warm. Our room had an awful view, but it was spacious and elegantly furnished, if a touch staid. At an average price of $250 per night for two nights, the stay was good value, but if I had paid the $600 weekend rate for that room (we left before the rates went up), I would have been pissed. It could use a little refreshing, but overall a nice room. My kids enjoyed the brunch and lunch in the M Bistro. We had "drinks" in the lounge Friday night to hear the lovely traditional, classic jazz play live for a half hour or so. We even danced a bit. The music started at 9 and we left well before 10pm. I like to expose my kids to more formal environments so they can learn how to conduct themselves in settings that are not necessarily kid-centric. At no time were my kids made to feel unwelcome, which is important to me, as they are and were well-mannered and well-behaved. I would n't travel with them solo as much as I do (this was our trip city trip this year (after Boston and Toronto) if they weren't.

Room Tip: Room 578 is an interior room on a low floor over looks at other rooms.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Meridian, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Stayed here with our 2 daughters and my inlaws. Upgraded to club level with our american express. The club level was absolutely, positively FABULOUS... I can not say enough good things about the staff, the food (AMAZING.... we felt we got some of the best authentic New Orleans food there in the Club!), and the drink selection was great too.
They treated our daughters like royalty.. even gave them some stuffed animals and beads.
Within easy walking distance to most New Orleans attractions.

We can not more highly recommend this property!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We are regular travelers to New Orleans, but this was our first stay at the Ritz. The staff was friendly and helpful. They were always asking how we were doing, how they could be of help, etc. The room was very comfortable. It felt more like a small apartment (minus the kitchen) then the typical hotel room.

Our only complaint would have been the elevators - two elevators to get up to the rooms and the quickness of hitting the button after the inserting a key seemed to cause people to take a longer elevator ride at least one time during the stay. It might have been our first visit to this hotel, but it definitely will not be our last.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Rucker, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Our stay exceeded everything we could have hoped for. The hotel was gorgeous and well kept. Our room was very traditional. The staff could not have been any nicer -- valet, front desk, bellman, bartenders. We had several drinks at the bar and the guys were very friendly, gave us history on local cocktails. The chips were a nice touch! Patio was a nice escape from city. The gym was fantastic. The flavored water and cucumber towels blew me away! Only complaint is that there was no coffee in the room.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Stayed here three nights. The location was great, the staff were fantastic and the rooms were lovely. However, you had to take two separate elevators and walk across the lobby to get to your room. Since I was traveling with an elderly relative who walks with a cane, this was more than just an annoyance for us.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Waco, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I stayed at the Ritz in NOLA for a business conference. The hotel is beautiful, the location superb, and the service was great! The food and drinks in the hotel lounge were amazing. I realize that this is a high tourist area, but the drinks were crazy expensive. You definitely got what you paid for....some fo the best mixed drinks, ever!
With so many places to eat and drink nearby, there are lots of choices for great local food and entertainment.
I would definitely stay here again. It's a beautiful property and I felt totally safe in a wild city. :)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans? Share your experiences!