“Beautiful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans

Save Saved
You added The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   921 Canal Street, New Orleans, LA 70112 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #22 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Clearwater, Florida
“Beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed at this location for the first time and it was our first time in New Orleans. The hotel is right on Canal St. two blocks away from Bourbon St. The room was always cleaned, with plenty of fresh towels. Our view was not great (wall of another building) but that didn't matter since we spent most of the time outside anyway. The bed was so comfortable and the room service was great. We ordered in movies and checked out via TV which was super easy. The lobby was beautifully decorated with Christmas lights above and Christmas trees everywhere. We found that when we used valet parking it took way too long for them to retrieve our vehicle. We waited for at least 25 minutes and my husband had to go and check with the guys again if they were still getting our car. For $44 per day to park there, I feel the service should have been a little faster. Other than that, the hotel was comfortable, clean and centrally located.

1,245 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Staffs at the lobby and conceige are very nice and helpful. We got the breakfast package but I will recommend you get your breakfast somewhere else. The first night on Dec 21st, there is a very drunk couple throwing a party next door from 8:30 on and then they went out - came back with more noises. I think other than his being crazy, the thin wall played a big part. I waited till next day to ask for possiblity to switch to another room to get some sleep and after I came back, a few minutes later, the power went out. I called downstairs and the girl who answered the phone got really annoyed for some reason and said " we are working on it and hung up on me. I had breakfast and told conciege the power was out. They were polite and nice and said they would see to the matter but refused to tell us the status of this power outage. I thought I'd give Ritz some credit and left for touring around town. At 11:30 pm, we went back, the power was still out! and they told me I can check out if I want or I will be send to another property which would be far from the quarter - I chose Ritz for the location so I don't have to rent a car, which made the second choice not optional. So I opted to pack my luggage and moved to a hotel . They did help me with the booking and offered the previous night for free.

So overall, the service and the staff were all good. I just wish they can tell me the power outage in more details in the morning when I made inquiries twice, instead of going back to a dark room with no power with one letter stating that I can either check out or be transfered. Luckily, the rest of the trip went more smoothly.

Nice, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Amazing property with absolutely stunning staff and mind blowing food. Words do not do my stay justice. Everyone was so accommodating and helpful!

Close to lots of the character that I wanted to see in New Orleans while not feeling like I was in the thick of it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

My second stay at this great hotel and it came through again with outstanding service from their excellent staff. Valet, bell staff and front desk were all attentive and friendly. Valet Parking stings at $40/night, but $35-$40 seems to be the going rate in area. I was very pleased with my room location: high floor; corner room, best view of the river. My room was clean, but a bit worn and dated. No coffee pot in the room, yet all else seemed in order and available. I've slept on better beds at Hilton and Hyatt. I like the linens.

Location on Canal is convenient for our needs and quiet when you want quiet. Great statue of Ignatius J Reilly a couple of blocks down Canal. Ongoing renovations on the bottom floor, I think they are remodeling some shops...not sure. I like the layout even though you have to change elevators on the 3rd floor. Christmas decorations were beautiful and detailed. The bar with Jeremy Davenport is outstanding. I did not eat at the hotel. Friendly service from the guy at the coffee bar...I'm terrible with names, but he did me a solid one morning. Continuing with the excellent service...the business center was unattended early and the printers were not working for me, so the front desk helped me print, sign and email back a document early on check out morning. Finally, the door man on the way out was a cool dude. I really like this hotel and their people.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor facing the river.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Arrived on Dec 22, 2012 No electricity .. checked in with a flash light and glow stick..Hotel with no electricity..Have to move later in the evening to another property. Had to pay for taxi to move to another hotel and to come back the next day with emergency power. Checked in on club floor was told only area in the hotel with power .. Room was dirty and dark.

Room Tip: Only club rooms
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We booked this hotel the afternoon of our stay after being very disappointed in our first hotel. They were able to get us a room at the last minute for the five nights of our amazing stay in New Orleans.
The hotel was comfortable and very very nice. It combined luxury with a certain friendly and easy going hospitality that you don't always see.
The staff were friendly, polite. We never had any complicated requirements, so we didn't have the opportunity to see if they would go the extra mile for us, but the doorman was a great help when we had questions about where to go, what to see.

The beds were extremely comfortable and the room itself was always cleaned when we wanted it to be.
The location was absolutely perfect. We have absolutely no completes and would absolutely go back!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Hillsborough, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Great location....about two blocks from the top of Burbon Street.....and about 6+ blocks from Harrahs. The place was very nicely kept. Decorated nicely for the holidays. Well lighted or well lit if you prefer so you won't feel "at risk" if you are coming or going late at night. Quite, and staff was very nice. Taxi's are abundant as well. If I had to try to find things that were wrong....I'd say my daughters room didn't have a coffee pot (but we didn't ask for one), and there was only one robe in our room (again, we didn't ask for a second one, so no big deal). Really, there wasn't anything wrong. I would stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans? Share your experiences!