“Great room, great location, great service.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans

Save Saved
You added The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   921 Canal Street, New Orleans, LA 70112 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #25 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Hudson, Ohio
“Great room, great location, great service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

I recently travelled to New Orleans for business. It was my first trip there. The Ritz is a great place to stay, within walking distance of the French Quarter and downtown. My (standard) room was beautiful. The lobby was decorated for the holidays and was exquisite. The restaurant and lounge were also terrific for both meals I had. Best yet, when I asked for a 4pm checkout, instead of getting the runaround, I was told "no problem." This hotel offered a great experience, and as a result I recommend it.

• Stayed November 2012

1,257 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
Livermore, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Recently visited for a business conference, I don't usually stay at luxury hotels so I had pretty hight expectations - but not unreasonable, while this is a very nice property I expected more from the experience than we received.

You pull up to the hotel, and while it is a nice early century building the front is not particularly impressive. Warmly greeted by the bell staff who took our luggage we proceeded to the front desk. Problem is know one explained how to get there. The front desk/lobby is not on the first floor, a big sign or at least a staff person directing you to the small bank of elevators would be nice.

Check in is at 4pm and we arrived after 6pm only to be told that our room was not ready. The desk staff was very apologetic and comp'ed us at the bar for a couple of drinks which was actually really pleasant. The bar wait staff was excellent, so our wait was just a minor annoyance. I also appreciated that the front desk staff came looking for us when the room was ready, rather than calling.

The room is nicely appointed, because we were getting a pretty substantial discount I did not expect their best room. I did expect that the bed linen would not have holes and tears which it did, and the toilet to be clean, which it was not. Asked our bell hop to have someone come up and address the issue, he apologized and said this was not up to their standards. Unfortunately, no one came to fix the problem.

The next evening was a little cool so we went to take the extra blanket out of the closet - kudos for even having an extra blanket, however, one without dirt and hair all over it would have been nice. This was fixed promptly after brining it to the staffs attention.

The next morning before we checked out walking to the elevator the hallway was full of the housekeeping staff, many of them just sitting there on the floor. Ok, they have a tough job and I don't begrudge them taking a rest or talking with their fellow employees, just a little unprofessional doing it on the floor in the hallways.

The common areas of the hotel are beautiful, very nicely decorated for the holiday. Loved the inside court yard. I go to three or four conferences every year with meals usually catered by the hotel - by far, seriously the best conference food I have ever had. Simply outstanding. The location on the edge of the French Quarter is also perfect, though the traffic (people walking by) can be a bit sketchy.

Also, regarding the elevators - they suck - I like the idea of added security to get to your floor, but they need to be programmed better. The doors close too fast for you to get your room key in and push the button so you end up taking rides to the top before you can re-enter your key and floor.

So the bottom line is, I would love to give them another chance, but I would probably think twice about paying full price. I really wanted to give them 5 but the experience just didn't rate it. Honestly, just a little disappointed.

Room Tip: I think higher floor courtyard view rooms would be best to assist in mitigating the outside noise. A...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Our first time staying at the Ritz and it's won't be our last. Just lovely. As were each and everyone on the staff. It was a bonus to find it all decked out for Christmas! Made it even more special. Our room was great. Incredibly comfortable bed, and pillows. And our room was very quiet as well. Made for restful sleeps. Much needed in NOLA :)
Also in a perfect location just outside the quarter and walking distance to most everything you'll want to go see.
We will definitly stay there again on our next trip and recommend it to friends.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Auburn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We love styling at the Ritz-Carlton in New Orleans. The staff is exceedingly friendly and the hotel,is lovely. This is our second stay here, but the first one during the Christmas holidays. The hotel,is beautifully and tastefully decorated. We recommend it highly for the location and the service.

Room Tip: We have a corner room and the view is really wonderful!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I spent a couple of nights at the Ritz for a meeting in November. As usual, everything was outstanding. The rooms are very nice the staff is warm and helpful I just wish it didn't cost so much. However, I will say you do get what you pay for.
Keep in mind that if you are there for meeting, you will use the elevator...A LOT! The reservation desk is actually on the second floor.
It is right on Canal and just a couple blocks from Bourbon St. So, everything is within walking distance.

Room Tip: Canal can be pretty noisy. you might not want a room right on the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I stay here often when I am in NOLA for business. Excellent older vintage Ritz. The club level is one of the best - several separate rooms with nice seating areas and working fireplaces. The club level service is excellent - very attentive and helpful.

Room Tip: A club level upgrade is a great value. My room was quite comfortable with an excellent layout.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Columbia, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

Came here in late evening to get a break from burbon street, good solid jazz band, friendly staff, reasonable drink prices and almost not a bad seat in the house, nice n intimate. We weren't staying here but didn't have any problem getting in

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans? Share your experiences!