“The Maison was ruined by becoming the Ritz club level” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans

You added The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   921 Canal Street, New Orleans, LA 70112 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #29 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Chicago, Illinois
“The Maison was ruined by becoming the Ritz club level”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

The Maison Orleans was formerly my favorite hotel in New Orleans, despite its lack of a pool. The hard wood floors and fireplaces in the rooms were exquisite and the lounge areas lovely and peaceful. That all changed when the Ritz acquired the property and designated it their club level. No more peace and excellent service. The staff are scattered and no longer as helpful and there are WAY to many children running around the lounge areas. What was once a luxurious oasis is now more like Disneyland. I will never stay there again as long as it remains the Ritz Club Level. My advice is to book a room at the Windsor Court and enjoy their newly updated rooms and the pool. (Though the pool service is atrocious) WC has the best bellmen in the city too.

Room Tip: If one is not in use, ask for a handicap room.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
Spring, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

My husband and I have stayed here many times over the past 10 years and it used to be one of our favorite hotels anywhere. Our stay last month (5 days) was the first one since Katrina and their renovation. I had grandiose dreams of the stellar service, cozy bar and amazing spa I remembered so fondly. Boy were we let down. I can explain further....
The hotel says they are pet friendly. So, I pay the deposit and am thrilled that I can bring my shih-tzu with us. We get in very late on a Friday evening after many airport delays. We are tired and worn out. The dog needs to go. I politely ask the doorman where I should take her to go to the bathroom and he says, "Down the block." Huh?? So, despite the hotel saying they are pet friendly, the property has NO WHERE for your animal to go to the bathroom. So, anytime she needed to go out, you had to cross 3 lanes of Canal St. and the cable car traffic to make the two block trek to find grass. This is not fun at 11pm at night. I would rather them say they don't accept pets than to have a guest show up like we did and get upset because we have to find somewhere for our pet to relieve herself (think out of your room, to an elevator, through the lobby, out to Canal St and up two blocks - ridiculous!!!).
Food was subpar and room service was lacking on many levels - usually late, forgot major components every time like salad dressing, utensils, drinks, etc. Even high tea for myself and my daughter wasn't as nice as I had remembered it being. No dress code was enforced, so we sat next to a man and his wife in flip flops and shorts while we were dressed like we were attending a proper tea. Very odd.
The gardenia candle they insist on burning throughout the hotel is just AWFUL! I love candles and usually do not have a problem with them. You cannot get away from the smell no matter where you go. It became a quest for our family to blow the candles out every time we saw one for some type of relief from the smell only to return and find them all re-lit. Several guests on the elevator with us and even some of the staff complained about disliking the smell, but to no avail. If you cannot tolerate strong candle/perfumey smells, this is not the hotel for you.
After many incidents, the spa seemed like it would be the place to forget all our troubles and relax. I had a nice massage and enjoyed the spa overall. However, my husband paid for a 90 minute deep tissue massage. His therapist alerted him when she was finished and when he got back to the locker room to put on his watch, he noticed that she had only completed 68 minutes. He immediately went to the front desk and demanded a discount, which they did do, but it was yet another kink in the armor of what used to be a really fine hotel.
All along, the Ritz properties have been known for their amazing service and attention to detail. This used to be the case at this hotel as well. No longer. It is just an average hotel with average service, just like any other chain hotel you might stay at, only with a higher price tag. Not one time did they remember our names, even though our entire family had multiple interactions with the front desk staff, door man, spa and restaurant. Even that historic hallmark is gone. It is truly sad because this used to be the only place we would consider staying when we were anywhere near N.O. Now we must find a new place to stay where service is still considered important (and no stinky gardenia candles are burning....).
This property is an anomoly. We stay at other Ritz hotels throughout the US and Caribbean and haven't had these things happen at any other property. Don't let my review turn you off of the Ritz hotels in general, because almost all of them are amazing. This is only my experience at the New Orleans location and I am glad it is not reflective of the entire chain.

Room Tip: Spend the extra money and get a club level room - You'll save yourself tons in room dining charg...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
RitzManagement, Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans, responded to this review, April 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your stay at The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans. Please contact Matt Helms or Donna Brown directly to discuss the issues that you experienced. They can be reached at 504-524-1331 and would like to speak with you. Your review is incredibly important to us and we appreciate your feedback. We hope to earn back your business.
Chicago, IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

I've learned that the word for the day, the word for all days at The Ritz NOLA is a very polite no. Can upgrade to and executive room? No...Despite this executive spending hundreds of thousands o f dollars at this venue the answer is always, no . It plays like a broken record department to department, anything you need, 99.9% of the time the answer will be no.

I fully understand contracts can't be broken, but an upgraded room for the President and CEO, the same one that's footing the bill for the hundreds of thousands of dollars...the same answer goes to him as well…..no, we apologize we can't help you.

Meeting attendance was low and I was actually called by the Regional Manager and accused of not being proactive enough in generating meeting. She proceed to instruct me in how I should do my job, because attendance in the past was wonderful, so why not this time. She gave me unwanted pointers that were counterproductive and not the least bit helpful, actually they were less than helpful
Funny Story, we spent literally hundreds of thousands of dollars at recent event at the South Beach venue. I asked my Boss, the CEO be given a nice room with amenities. I was told a bottle of wine would be charged to his room. This after we literally spent thousands of dollars at a receptions, And he was given a room facing the wall. Several moves later someone actually got it and moved him to a nicer room.

Custom service here for large meeting is poor as best, flexibility in contracts even in small request is nonexistent, Save your stress and your money and check out one of the boutique hotels that value customer service and loyalty.

One more story, there were many. We had a member collapse at one of the meeting. I called our meeting planner to summons an ambulance, he texted me back that he did not do that I would have to go to concierge to get help....a man is dying. I ran to the concierge, summoned the security team with the Defibrillator. All was good due to the quick response of the concierge and the security team

As soon I get out of The Ritz and start focusing more on local boutique hotels with better service and value for your money I will be a happy planner. It’s nice to know there are some hotels that are so confident in this down economy that they can treat there loyal client with at best indifference.

Room Tip: I will be staying here April 23rd - April 26 an every step ofthe way so far has painful, I can only...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
RitzManagement, Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your stay at The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans. Please contact Matt Helms or Donna Brown directly to discuss the issues that you experienced. They can be reached at 504-524-1331. Your review is incredibly important to us and we appreciate your feedback. We hope to earn back your business.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

We've stayed at several Ritz Carltons around the country, but this one stands out. I've been to New Orleans countless times, and this hotel is always my favorite. It's around the corner from Bourbon Street and also right across the street from the Streetcar which in my opinion is a perfect location.

The rooms are spacious and nicely decorated, and the bed is extremely comfortable.

The gym made me actually want to work out which doesn't always happen on vacation!

I'd def recommend this hotel for anyone who wants a little bit of luxury while exploring New Orleans.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
RitzManagement, Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your stay at The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans. We sincerely appreciate your patronage and are glad to learn that you had a memorable stay. Your review is incredibly important to us as a hotel that prides itself on providing the finest service and facilitates in the city. Thank you for helping us, we appreciate your feedback and look forward to your return.
Dedham, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

We particularly liked returning late at night on Friday and Saturday nights to Jeremy Davenport and his band playing to a full house in the Lounge. And, the outdoor courtyard in the interior atrium is a nice place for an early evening drink before heading out to the clubs. (The only negative, according to my wife, was how quickly the spa booked up. Even midday on weekdays was completely booked several weeks in advance.)

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing either Canal Street (if you like to watch street activity) or the interior cou...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your stay at The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans. We sincerely appreciate your patronage and are glad to learn that you had a memorable stay. We apologize that the spa was fully committed during your stay. Your review is incredibly important to us as a hotel that prides itself on providing the finest service and facilitates in the city. Thank you for helping us, we appreciate your feedback and look forward to your return.
Houston, Tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

The location, staff, and facilities were up to par. We did stick with the club level, which was lovely for snacks, and the occasional cocktail. Staff was willing to go above and beyond. The hotel really was an ideal location with an easy stroll to the Canal St shops, Harrah's, etc, and then an equally stroll-able distance in another direction to Jackson Square. The craziness of Bourbon St is incredibly close for being such a quiet hotel. Literally a cross street away. Our new standby for NOLA visits.

Room Tip: We chose a high floor and had zero noise complaints.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Ritz for a conference in March. The wifi in our room did not work for our entire stay, and others with the conference had similar issues. It appears to be a hotel-wide problem. Fortunately I have a tether feature on my smartphone, so was able to access the internet using it.

AVOID STAYING AT THIS HOTEL IF YOU NEED RELIABLE WIFI and don't have a backup. They attempted to fix the problem twice, and after that we got tired of having engineers in our room, so just relied on my phone. At some point, at my request, the manager on duty did return a call about the wifi not working, but it was never fixed. It's entirely unacceptable that an upscale hotel doesn't have functioning wifi in its rooms. We were never offered another room, which I suspect is due to the problem not being an isolated one. At check-out, we reiterated our displeasure with the nonfunctioning wifi, which was met with shrugs.

The hotel itself is nice, rooms comfortable in a upscale Marriott type of way. Thick carpeting, plush duvets, comfortable bed, nice sheets, etc. We had a courtyard view, which was nice and quiet. Towels were replenished in the evening with turndown service, and everyone was kind and polite. The maids were especially friendly and considerate.

The location was great, public areas a little tired. The courtyard is nice, but there was never enough staff on hand to remove dirty plates, so we ended up standing up for a drink rather than sitting at a table with dirty dishes. Smoking is allowed in the courtyard, which combined with tables of dirty plates was less than appetizing.

They had this incredibly strong smelling candle in the lobby that apparently was used to cover up a worse smell. We blew it out every chance we got it smelled so bad. Low quality, high petroleum content candle. This can't be something that HQ would approve of.

Adding insult to injury for an already unpleasant experience, I received an invoice 2 weeks after my stay for a minibar charge that we didn't make, and when I called to have it credited (and ask why I was being charged for something 2 weeks after I left) was told that only accounting could help me, and to call back during normal business hours.

Would not stay here again on my own and requested that our conference not be held again here.

Room Tip: Courtyard view rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans? Share your experiences!