“Nice, but hard to get to.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans

Save Saved
You added The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   921 Canal Street, New Orleans, LA 70112 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #27 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Richmond, Va
“Nice, but hard to get to.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

We stayed at Maison Orleans the week between Christmas and New Year's. It's the Club level of the Ritz Carlton. The rooms are lovely and spacious, especially the bathrooms. The lounge areas, both Club level and on the lobby level, are beautifully decorated. The issue I had, and it's not a big one (although these are very pricey rooms) is the location of the Club Level. Clearly this was not the original, intended design for the hotel because Maison Orleans is very hard to get to ("go up to level 4, turn this way, then that way, go through the door, round the corner and take the next elevator" etc, etc). Each time we came and went, we nearly got lost. In fact, there are several hotels within this building and the lobbies are on varying floors with varying elevators. Overall, lovely hotel - just a very confusing layout.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

1,283 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Washington, DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

Club level- The club level at the Ritz in New Orleans meets the Ritz standards. Particularly helpful and great were Kimberly, Janice, and Foster. Great staff, really worked hard to accommodate us. They really tried hard in the club level lounge to accommodate food and drink requests. But wow, the the rest of the hotel... a disaster. In fact, they should never call that a ritz-carlton.The one thing they did that was positive was an upgrade to club level for the night i had a regular room. But from there it became a disaster, and considering two nights I was paying the high rate of $619 a night, it was inexcusable.
Rooms- club level had nice furnishings, but dark and sleeping area small for the price. Also inner courtyard ones are really dark, and a large commode blocks one of the two windows making it even darker and smaller. They need to just have a tV stand like in the regular rooms. Also they say courtyard room is quieter, but the push-bar on the door out into the hallway was very loud every time anyone came in our out.

M Bistro- made reservations for 7:30. Most people were already seated (you can listen to jazz in davenport Lounge which is a plus). waited for a hostess for 10 minutes. Another 15 for the menu (so glad jazz was playing). The waitress eventually took our order that included one appetizer. An hour and ten minutes, I had to waive her down to ask the whereabouts of the appetizer... she apologized, went to the kitchen, then went about her business without coming up to us. Another 10 minutes we got up and left. The entire time the hostess was at her desk once. i came up there one time, nobody ever appeared. when we left, nobody was at the host stand to inform that we were leaving...

Management - that's the worst part. I told the front desk that we walked out on the restaurant. he told me the manager will call, not a word.
The next day our room was not cleaned until I had to find a supervisor, at 5:30 pm... I told one of the club level supervisors about my troubles and they again said they talekd to a manager, Jonathan Hall, and he'd call me back. never did. Then the room key got cut off, so we had to walk to another part of the hotel to reception to get to club level. i demanded to see the manager this time. He walked out from the direction of the bar. Listened, didn't apologize, nothing. Just walked me to the room to make sure the keys worked. (they did, but got cut off again the next day). some lady at the bar was motioning to him as we walked past (I was in front, so she didn't realize we were walking together), but he signed to her not to interrupt. And yet i couldn't get him to call me back after 2 requests. Neither did he bother to apologize for the service at the restaurant. i never saw or heard from another manager or him again.
Cell/Internet - There is virtually no cell phone reception in the rooms on club level 4, yet they charge internet fees. front desk said even the lounge had a fee, which turned out to be wrong.
at check out i had a question about the charge, nobody could help. In fact, since i had two reservations, they said they only see one reservation up in the club level and thought conversation was over until i insisted...
eventually club level offered me two massages (I get $100 credit from Amex, but that would've not quite covered one massage), so I was grateful for that. But management downstairs did nothing. not sorry, not anything. And when I got back i learned that they dared charge me for my drink at teh bar and wouldn't credit it back.
The crowd- I have never seen so many loud, ill-bred people. In the library room - shouting (Mark from Gainesville, your relatives who were in NOLA on 12/30 hate your fiancee so much I got to hear all of it from another room of the club lounge). Two ladies in the relaxation room were also discussing men at the top of their lungs before my massage, and were still at it an hour later. as i was checking out at the club level one-person counter a man walked up, pushed me to the side and plopped himself in front of the front desk person i was talking to. he stood there the entire time we discussed my bill, listening to every detail!!!!! right there. The hotel staff are too scared to say anything to the guests. But all in all, they all deserve each other.

I went to see rooms at the Windsor Court that was my other (and cheaper option), Saw the one bedroom suite. Huge. not my favorite colors, light blue with flowers, so looked a little cheap, but certainly a huge bright and light space. very crowded downstairs, but don't know how the service is.

Room Tip: even in club level rooms can feel small due to large furniture. if you like light and airy rooms, do...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
RitzManagement, Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans, responded to this review, January 10, 2012
We regret that your stay was less than memorable and hope to earn back your business. We are truly sorry to learn that you had challenges and that we did not live up to your expectations. Forums such as this allow us to better understand our guest’s needs and work to resolve issues. So, thank you for helping us and we will share your comments with our ladies and gentlemen. Please feel free to contact the Front Office Manager or Director of Operations at the hotel directly if you would like to discuss your concerns (504-524-1331). We would appreciate it and would like to earn back your business.
US
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

We had high hopes of staying at the Ritz. I had caused a work conference to be held here and it went very well. I had stayed here on other times for business and it was excellent. This trip, we decided to bring our toddler and stay for 5 nights. We almost decided to stay instead at the Windsor Court because their renovation was now finished. We made a very bad decision to stay at the Ritz. The problems began at check-in and did not end until we checked out.

Check in. Our trip in was long because of weather delays and we were checking in at 7:30 pm. We had requested with our reservation that a crib be in our room when we arrived for we knew we might have a cranky toddler with us. We confirmed our request with the hotel before our arrival. When we checked in, we confirmed at the front desk that the crib would be there. He assured us that it was there but if for some reason it were not, he would have the crib brought to the room within 5 minutes. The crib was not in the room. We call immediately, for our toddler was very tired. Our luggage finally arrives 20 minutes later. It had somehow gotten delayed coming to our room from the valet. Still no crib. The bellman calls housekeeping. 20 minutes later again no crib. I return to the front desk and beg for a crib. The same person who checked me in and calls housekeeping and they tell him that they would be bringing it now. The front desk attendant was very annoyed that I returned to the front desk to ask for the crib but after 45 minutes of waiting I was unsure what else I could do.

The Ritz also explains that they offer housekeeping two times per day and lists the hour. Again because of our toddler who goes to bed early, we called and asked housekeeping to complete the second service before 6:30pm to avoid any conflicts. At 7pm, we call housekeeping because they have not arrived. They say they will be there in five minutes. At 7:20, we call again, they say they will be there in 5 minutes. By 7:40, I say it is too late to come for we have to put our baby to sleep. We will make do with the towels that we have. I explain that I was putting the DND/privacy sign on the door and please do come to our room for I do not want the baby to wake up. At 8pm, housekeeping comes, bangs on the door and wakes up our baby. I cannot understand how housekeeping could have done this when I requested that they not and we have the DND sign on the door. We finally get our toddler down to sleep at 8:20. At 8:25, housekeeping calls the room. Again they wake up the baby. I tell them that I cannot believe they would call when I told them that I did not want to be disturbed. We finally put the baby down again after 15 minutes of crying. But housekeeping calls again at 8:45 and wakes him up again. At this point, I am beside myself that we are being so harassed by housekeeping that I go to the front desk to speak to a manager. He listens to the story that I just told, apologizes and asks when I want housekeeping to come every night for the remainder of my stay. I say 6pm. Well, housekeeping does not come by 6pm any of our five nights and I have to call every night to request additional service. None of this would be a big deal but for the fact we had a toddler who goes to sleep early.

Also housekeeping during our stay was very inconsistent in quality. The maid the evening of the 30th was top notch but the others were not. They randomly took it upon themselves to move our belongings and place them in drawers throughout the suite. It was baffling to us what they had done until we started opening up drawers. Also, while they say they change linens every 2 nights unless requested otherwise, they did not honor their own rules. We requested otherwise for linens to be changed daily, but instead they changed the sheets only once during our five night stay. Also, during visits, they did not always leave us with a full supply of towels. One evening we were told that the hotel had ran out of hand towels and none were available. That seemed very odd. Also, the housekeepers did not always replace the empty bottles of shampoo and conditioner.

The hotel provides a list of babysitting services but they are rightfully careful to point out they are not recommending the services. We used two services on the list.. One service was great but it was not available all the nights we wanted, so we used another service on the list. While we confirmed twice, the sitter from the second service was a no-show. We missed our Commander's Palace reservation. So, we decided to order room service. We order soup, salad and pizza. They said it would take 45 minutes. It took over 2 hours and 15 minutes to arrive and the pizza was cold on arrival. We called to check on our order, after about 90 minutes and they assured us, it would arrive right away. Luckily, room service agreed to comp the meal because we had waited so long.

We booked under the Amex platinum program which includes breakfast. When reviewing my bill, I noticed a restaurant charge appeared which was incorrect. I go to the front desk to rectify the issue, and the person there really seemed to lack the essential skills to work at the reception desk. She initially disagreed with me that the charge was on the bill, although I showed her a copy of the express checkout invoice where it appeared. She then said that it was for breakfast. I told her that under the program, I pay only tip and tax, as the bill reflected for other days. She disagreed but eventually understood how the Amex program worked and agreed with me. She then said that I must have eaten breakfast twice on one day. I assured that I had not. She then pulls the invoices and tells me that I was charged twice for the same breakfast but she was only going to charge me for one. This whole process that should have taken 2 minutes to resolve took 15 minutes. Sadly, another guest was at the front desk with the same problem but far worse. It is astonishing that the Ritz front desk personnel do not understand the program. She then asked me how my stay had been. I told her very disappointing and that I had regretted my decision to stay at the Ritz. She said only have a nice day and asked no questions.

We were a little concerned ahead of our arrival dealing with the concierge. It was very difficult to communicate with them in a way they could understand to make restaurant reservations. We asked for dinner reservations for 5 nights and gave them a list of restaurants from which to choose. To make a long story short, our request was misunderstood and took several emails to get it worked out.

While these service experiences with housekeeping, room service and the front desk ruined the trip for my wife and me, there is much to the hotel to be commended. The room itself was beautiful. We booked and received an executive suite, The room was excellent in every way. Wonderful bed, nice bath, great furnishings, quiet opening to courtyard. The covered valet area is so nice. The location of the hotel is perfect.

The restaurant staff could not have been nicer. They went above and beyond. They were truly exceptional. The breakfast buffet was great. High tea was great. The lounge food and drinks were great. The setting was excellent.

There are steps everywhere with no ramps. I'm unsure how the hotel believes it complies with the ADA. There is locked door to use a lift that requires a key but there was no one who would open it for us. We are not disabled, but it was very difficult navigating the stairs with a stroller and the Ritz employees rarely offered to help with the exception of one male employee who always offered to help.

The day concierge was great in suggesting day outings for us. They could not have been nicer or more helpful to us.

The valet service was excellent. In fact, upon checking out, he asked how our stay was, and I told him not very good. He said, oh now, what did we do wrong with the car. I said, it had nothing to do with valet services which had been great. Rather, it related solely to housekeeping, room service and the front desk. He asked if a manger had spoken to me at checkout. I said no. I told him that the front desk clerk could have cared less whether our stay went well. He was horrified, and took our contact information and promised we would hear from the Ritz. If everyone at the Ritz was of the quality of the valet guest services person who was so wonderful to us at the end, none of these problems would have happened.

Bottom line-- the repeated service snafus ruined our trip. The hotel would have been fine if we did not have our child with us and we traveled many years before he came along. Now, we need a hotel who can provide sufficient service to make traveling with a toddler something short of a nightmare. I give the Ritz extremely low marks and would discourage any family with a young child from staying here. The Ritz management at this hotel runs the risk of ruining a beautiful property by letting such service standards exist. I hope the Ritz management decides it wants to provide quality service, for they should not be allowed to ruin such a fabulous property.

Room Tip: Ask for room facing interior courtyard for quiet sleep.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
We regret that your stay was less than memorable and hope to earn back your business. We are truly sorry to learn that you had challenges and that we did not live up to your expectations. Forums such as this allow us to better understand our guest’s needs and work to resolve issues. So, thank you for helping us and we will share your comments with our ladies and gentlemen. Please feel free to contact the Front Office Manager or Director of Operations at the hotel directly if you would like to discuss your stay (504-524-1331). We would like to hear from you and earn back your business.
Hinsdale
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011 via mobile

This is not a five star hotel experience. At best, it's a small step up from a regular convention hotel. Our "upgraded" room was large, but had only one window overlooking a ventilation area. Consequently, it was dark and gloomy. The bathroom was very small with a combined shower/tub. The tub was not really useable for bathing and water pressure was very poor.
Housekeeping was fine,except it could occur anytime up to 4pm as we discovered one day when we returned to our room and found it unserviced at 3 pm.
One reason I stay at hotels and not b&bs is that I do not like scented candles, room diffusers, etc. Well, the manager of the NOLA Ritz must love that stuff AND have no consideration for people with allergies and migraines because there are whopping, smelly candles in the elevator and reception areas of this hotel. You can enter, leave, talk to the concierge or go to the restaurant without being subjected to these headache inducing smells. In addition, the outdoor courtyard allows smoking throughout so it is not possible to step outside to have a beverage or snack or get away from the candle smell without then having a smoker next to you.
On a positive, the restaurant staff is very friendly and the breakfast and lunch offerings are quite tasty. The restaurant itself is a bit dated and dark.

• Stayed November 2011
We regret that your stay was less than memorable and hope to earn back your business. We are truly sorry to learn that you had challenges and that we did not live up to your expectations.Forums such as this allow us to better understand our guest’s needs and work to resolve issues. So, thank you for helping us and we will share your comments with our ladies and gentlemen, including the candles. The courtyard is our only public space, since the entire hotel is non-smoking, so we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Please feel free to contact the Front Office Manager at the hotel directly if you would like to discuss any of the issues further. 504-524-1331 We hope to earn back your business.
uvalde
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2011

checked in about 5pm, complained about dirty sheets with lots of hair on it. sheets got changed around 7ish. this place is old.
we had the tea time, was not worth 50 bucks. you got a small dish of 5 mini sandwiches, one really sucked, then a small dish of mini desert.. all sucked. very slow on refilling your wine and tea. got one glass of wine and one cup of tea in 2 hours and 30 mins

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
We regret that your stay was less than memorable and hope to earn back your business. We are truly sorry to learn that you had challenges and that we did not live up to your expectations. Forums such as this allow us to better understand our guest’s needs and work to resolve issues. Please feel free to contact the Front Office Manager at the hotel directly if you would like to discuss any of the issues further. 504-524-1331 We hope to earn back your business.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

We had an amazing stay at the Ritz. We upgraded to the Club Level, and it was well worth the extra money. The room was beautiful, with a huge bathroom and great shower. The Club Level lounge had amazing food out all day, from a hearty breakfast to tasty afternoon sandwiches to hors d'ouevres at night. The all-day champagne was a nice (and much appreciated!) extra touch. As were the round-the-clock cookie jars! The food was a lot more substantial than we expected - we hardly ate out at all! Taking advantage of the Club Level's food definitely saved us some dining out money!

The location was great, just 5 minutes away from all of the Bourbon St action. It was also very close to the St. Charles streetcar stop, which we took to the Garden District. (An excursion I highly recommend, by the way. The Garden District has tons of beautiful houses to stroll by. The streetcar is just $1.25 each way.)

The service at the Ritz was great. Overall we had a great stay at a beautiful hotel. I'd definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Upgrade to Club Level - it's well worth the money!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans. We are pleased to learn that your stay was a memorable one and that you enjoyed the 24-hour candy bar and champagne. Your feedback is incredibly important to us as a hotel that prides itself on providing the finest service and facilitates in the city. Thank you for helping us, we appreciate your feedback and hope that you will return.
Lafayette IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

The Ritz is awsome, newly remodled and spotless. You could not ask for a better place to stay in NOLA off Bourbon Street. The rooms were a plush and luxurious as any I have every stayed in. The staff was incrediable. You can't go wrong at the Ritz

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans. We are pleased to learn that your stay was a memorable one. Your feedback is incredibly important to us as a hotel that prides itself on providing the finest service and facilitates in the city. Thank you for helping us, we appreciate your feedback and hope that you will return.

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans? Share your experiences!