“Best Location this side of Canal Street” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Historic Streetcar Inn

You added Historic Streetcar Inn to your Saves list
Historic Streetcar Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1509 St. Charles Ave., New Orleans, LA 70130 (Formerly Avenue Garden Hotel)   |
Ranked #117 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
The ATL
“Best Location this side of Canal Street”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

The Avenue Garden Hotel is at a great location in NOLA. Positioned near the intersection of St. Charles and Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, and on the St. Charles Street Car Line, the Hotel is easy to find. From this vantage point it is easy to get to all the major attractions in NOLA. There are also plenty restaurants (fast food to five clams) in walking distance.

The rooms are clean and the staff is friendly. There is a large common area inside, a nice courtyard outside, and a second floor balcony overlooking St. Charles Ave .

However, parking in the garage is $20/day, and it is located around the corner. There is a community refrigerator in the lobby. And the shower curtain could be replaced.

The hotel has charm and personally, this puts it above average to very good.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Smyrna, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

From the moment we entered the Avenue Garden Hotel, we were greeted and treated with great care! My sister's sudden death brought us to New Orleans. Lydia, the owner, assisted us in every way she could to make our stay comfortable and relaxing. The rooms were nice and clean. The decor is absolutely "New Orleans"! The coffee was made fresh every morning and there were always goodies out for breakfast. The courtyard is inviting and private. There are nice "living rooms" upstairs and down. We were able to congregate in the living rooms and courtyard to talk and visit. Regular hotels would not have these nice private spots in-house! Our party consisted of 15 people. We were able to keep cold drinks in the refrigerators supplied on each floor. There is a nice garage around the block, so there is no fuss with valets and tips, etc! The front balcony was a fun spot to just sit and "people" watch. The location was wonderful - not too far from the French Quarter, but not too close! I will absolutely stay there on my next visit to New Orleans!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Auburn, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

By far, worst experience of my trip to New Orleans. I know you get what you pay for and I don't expect a lot from a budget room. However, let me list the ways this place disappointed even me: 15 or so huge, Louisiana-size flies on the wall (probably due to the ill-fitting door), AC that never cooled the room, hair on the bathroom floor (and not a little, enough to make me throw a towel down), broken TV stand, lights burnt out, scary linens on the bed, etc. The owner may reply that I should have alerted them to these problems. I reply that they should know of these problems just by opening the door and checking their rooms now and then. The positive reviews of this place must have come from people who spent too much time on Bourbon Street. Save yourself the cringing and stay anywhere else.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
AGHgm, General Manager at Historic Streetcar Inn, responded to this review, July 27, 2010
To the reviewer, and others who take the time to read these reviews...

First of all, the room that the writer stayed in was one that we use very frequently. It is one of our smaller rooms, however, it's a very nice room. In fact, it has one of the nicer baths in the hotel, as well as a fridge, microwave, and granite top bar area. The furniture is also new. We do try to keep the room for stays not more than three or so days, because it is small. Each room in the hotel is different, both in decor, and in size. These hundred year old New Orleans homes are all unique, rambling, and full of character. Perhaps the writer would likely have preferred a standard motel, such as the ones he describes in his other reviews, and not one such as ours, with its unique New Orleans charm.

When the guest was leaving the hotel, he did not stop at the front desk, nor did he acknowledge that anyone was at the front desk, which is located immediately at the entrance. I know that you cannot please all of the people all of the time, but, even cranky folks will utter something, or nod when leaving. The fact that he said nothing, and whisked by immediately raised a red flag. I called the housekeeper to go quickly and check out the room. Usually, there is a reason people leave the way he did. When Michelle got to the room, she called me to come quickly. There were huge flies on one of the walls... flies so oddly large, that we thought something weird was going on. I won't say what we were thinking.... but, the fact is, it was unexplainable. Still, we speculated for a couple of days as to how they got there? We had never before seen them here, nor have we seen them again. We called it the Fly Phenomenon.

That's the best I can explain what we found in the room. As far as the other complaints of the writer, I will not dignify with comment, except to ask readers to dig deeper, and read what others have said about Avenue Garden Hotel. We are not perfect, and sometimes there's a Murphy's day, but for the most part, we're a very clean and friendly house with that old New Orleans feel. Thanks for taking the time to read...
Dover, AR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

This motel was a wonderful place to stay. We enjoyed it greatly. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The location was convenient to Garden District and French Quarter. The motel was very clean and comfortable. Some have shown picures and said the motel was in poor condition. In my opinion, there were few imperfections. The few I saw were being repaired. The owners appear to take greatT care to meat the needs of the guest and keep the building beautiful. My favorite resident at the motel was Baby Girl. It was very relaxing sitting on the patio, rubbing her belly and listening to her purr. It was like being at home with my own pet. We have been to New Orleans several times and from now on we will certainly stay here.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2010

This turned out to be a great location for us to strike out to either the Garden District, Zoo, or French Quarter. (We bought 5-day streetcar passes for $20.) The room was clean and well-kept. The staff went out of their way to be helpful and make us feel welcome. Even though it's right on St. Charles, we didn't have any troubles with street noise. There's some good food nearby, and several 24-hr bars, if that's your thing. (Although this is, nonetheless, a fairly quiet neighborhood.) The rates were reasonable, and they even have a continental breakfast in the mornings. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

We stayed here for 3 days at the end of a convention - now I must say that we had been at a 4 star hotel in the French Quarter, so its a bit of a shock to move to a 2 star...however, once we settled in, we really liked it. We especially liked the little courtyard in which to have breakfast, and the living room area where we hung out to use the wireless. The room was a bit disappointing as it was on the main level, dark, and a spider paid me a visit...! However, I am sure that an upper floor would have avoided that! We loved the location..lots of restaurants out the door...rode the St Charles streetcar to the Audubon Zoo and saw the universities and the park. Walking in the Garden District is amazing. We loved the reasonable price as well, so all and all for value, this hotel is highly recommended. The staff were very friendly and helpful. You really felt like you were staying at a B and B....I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
glasgow, scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2010

The Avenue Garden Hotel was perfect for us. We were visitng my daughter at Tulane so the ride there in our car was just a few minutes. To visit the Quarter we walked out the door and the St Charles streetcar was right there. Parking at the hotel was on-street for free and never (even during Jazzfest weekend) did we park more than a block away. Having Voodoo BBQ and Slice next door was good for a late night snack and the continental breakfast in the courtyard, with its soothing fountain, was great..

But the best part may have been the hospitality. Lydia was always ready to chat, make suggestions, or assist me in any way ( I had a work project to accomplish during my weekend). We felt as if we were in a B &B rather than an impersonal hotel -- It was like a home away from home and we hope to return soon.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Been to Historic Streetcar Inn? Share your experiences!