“A wonderful place filled with wonderful people!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Historic Streetcar Inn

Save Saved
You added Historic Streetcar Inn to your Saves list
Historic Streetcar Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1509 St. Charles Ave., New Orleans, LA 70130 (Formerly Avenue Garden Hotel) (Lower Garden District)   |
Ranked #115 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“A wonderful place filled with wonderful people!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2010

Two friends and I stayed at the hotel over our spring break from teaching. The hotel was very affordable and extremely comfortable for penny pinching travelers. The beds were comfortable, the patio and lounges were nice and relaxing. I loved my early morning runs in the Garden District and enjoyed spending time with the hotel staff learning more about the city. Their tip about Snug Harbor was one of the highlights of the trip! I would highly recommend this hotel for its location close to the streetcar line (literally out the door!) and the World War II museum as well as being within walking distance of Magazine St. and other wonders of the Garden District. If you're coming to New Orleans for a visit, you owe it to yourself to stay here; you're within a ten minute streetcar ride of the French Quarter, but you get to experience a different part of New Orleans that is easy to fall in love with. I'll be back in June and look forward to catching up with everyone!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends

332 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Zion, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2010

Everyone I met at the hotel made me feel very welcome and comfortable from the moment I arrived. This was my second trip to New Orleans and the best expierence ever. The room I had was a little cramped, but it was clean and the bed was comfortable. I was very relaxed and enjoyed the quiet, compared to staying exactly in the French Quarter. Everything you wanted to see was walking distance or you could have taken the trolley closer to town. Whenever I have the chance to return I will DEFINATELY consider staying here again.
Thank you to everyone at the Avenue Garden Hotel for such a wonderful experience and great memories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2010

We have traveled the world over as our hobby to see new places and have new memorable experiences. One of the most important aspects of all our vacations is where we stay. We select a place based on comfort, safety, location, affordability and any special flair. Well last week, the Avenue Garden Hotel met all our expectation and more. The Avenue Garden is essentially a boutique Hotel/B&B located directly of the trolley line in the Garden District. The Hotel, built in the 1800s, maintains the style and class for today’s traveler but also is reminiscent of being at home. When you arrive, you receive a key to the Hotel’s front door and a room key (not a computer chip card). If you have a car to park, then you also get a garage door opener to the Hotel garage less than 1 block away. The Hotel management and staff willingly help with your luggage, parking the car, and any else they can.

I booked the hotel through Bookit.com. Bookit advertised free parking even though the Hotel expressly (I saw the emails) explained to Bookit that parking was not free. This is what was so special about Avenue Garden Hotel. Due to Bookit misinformation, the Hotel management decided to upgrade our room to a wing of the hotel where we practically had complete privacy. Now, the hotel manager did not have to open up a separate wing of the hotel just for us, but she did. She did not have to put us in a bigger room with antique amenities, but she did. She did not have to waive our parking fee, but she did. She and her staff did not have to tell us the best hot spots in the French Quarter, but they did. This was absolutely a wonderful stay at an absolutely wonder hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2010

I was very excited to stay here, especially after all the glowing reviews. Reality, however, leaves a bit to be desired. The first clue was when we checked in--"first I'll show you around the hotel, then I'll take you to the building where your room is" ???!! Up a long, steep, dark flight of stairs was a small, dark room. the "free off-street parking" promised by the booking agency was a "problem we've been trying to correct". The "light continental breakfast" may have been wonderful, but we didn't really feel like going out on the street in the early morning to get it.
The brightest spot was the housekeeper, who did a wonderful job....

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
AGHgm, General Manager at Historic Streetcar Inn, responded to this review, March 31, 2010
We thank the writer for her contribution. Sometimes, when we think we're doing something good, it turns out to be just the opposite. The Guest made her reservation through Bookit for a room with a Full or Queen bed. There were only two small rooms (the smallest in the hotel) left when her reservation came in. I suppose we should have kept her in one of the small rooms, instead of upgrading her to the King room. She had a five night stay, and we were just looking at the comfort factor for the guest. Most guests truly love the room that she was in, but I guess it bothered her because it was detached from the main building, which is understandable. If she would have requested a move, and if we could have moved her, we certainly would have.
Camden, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2010

I co-led a group of 14 runners with a few spouses headed to New Orleans for the Mardi Gras marathon. Our host Lydia and the rest of her staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms were in good shape and our group all were satisfied with the accommodations. Conveniently on the street car line and easy to walk to the French Quarter, Convention Center and the river boats, I would certainly return to both New Orleans and the Avenue Garden Hotel.

• Stayed February 2010
Richmond, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2010

After a terrible experience at a 'Guest House' nearby, the general manager that this hotel saved my life. We had nowhere to go and she made above-par accommodations. I can't say enough good about this place. It was lovely! She washes everything on each bed, and said that although things might look a little faded, at least you know everything is clean. Breakfast in the morning was very convenient and we loved the location. I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2010 via mobile

We stayed at Avenue Garden the week of Mardi Gras from Saturday through Wednesday. I could not have dreamed of a better vacation. First of all... Location, location, location. We were directly on the parade route, every parade passed right in front of the hotel. And the hotel staff couldn't have been more helpful, informative, and downright friendly. I felt like I had become a part of their family. They made us feel at home, had a space corded off in front of the hotel to watch the parade, Mr. Drees bbq'd some incredible meats, sausage, and veggies (with a wonderful Moroccan flair). Lydia, who I believe is the owner or manager, was incredibly nice, went out of her way to make our stay special, really bent over backwards to accomodate us. She shared with us not only the touristy things to see but also the kinda "off the beaten path" stuff. She knows slot about the city and culture. We would not stay anywhere else and are already booking our stay for next Mardi Gras. The rooms are cozy, it's a down home b&b feel. It feels like new Orleans, not some sterile made up hotel. We highly recommend this place.

• Stayed March 2010

Been to Historic Streetcar Inn? Share your experiences!