“The Charm of New Orleans” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Historic Streetcar Inn

You added Historic Streetcar Inn to your Saves list
Historic Streetcar Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1509 St. Charles Ave., New Orleans, LA 70130 (Formerly Avenue Garden Hotel)   |
Ranked #121 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
A TripAdvisor Member
“The Charm of New Orleans”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2005

My husband and I stayed here during our anniversery for a nice little gettaway. We were on a budget so we were not looking to spend much money. Luckily, I found this hotel and was not expecting such an awsome little place for only $69 a night. It deffinitley gave off the unique charm of New Orleans and had that Southern Hopitality atmosphere throughout. The frontdesk workers were so helpful and friendly, which is one of the main reasons why I know we will be staying here again next visit to New Orleans. The location is perfect because it is right smack dab in the middle of the garden distriict and the French Quarter, which allowed us to veiw other areas of New Orleans besides Bourbon Street. We stayed in a beautifully decorated room facing St. Charles Avenue, which is their honeymoon suite. They upgraded our room to this suite when they realized it was our anniversery. The suite had a red velvet circular bed and a mirror on the ceiling... very romantic, and is located on the second floor of this to die for pizzaria. We loved the Avenue Garden Hotel and make sure you ask about those suites ... i know we will next time around.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Cherry Hill, NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2004

First I will say we left the Avenue Garden Hotel due to just basically hating the place.

We got to the hotel and the room I was told we were booked in was "under construction" and we couldn't stay in it. I was told we would be in a revamped room when we booked with a new bathroom. They moved us to another room and it did look clean, but looked like it wasn't remodeled in about 30 years. The baseboard in the bathroom was splintering off and mold was around the base of the tub. The room had a view of a brick wall and had really no character. Let's say the holiday inn or best western is way above. We would have been paying $55.00 a night and that room was NOT worth $55.00 a night.

So we thought we could deal with it, tried to be in good spirits, and went out for lunch.

About 6 hours later we get back and open the door to find our luggage is missing and a note says our bags are moved and to go to the front desk. We were told our room had termites and they moved us to room 12. This room was right next to the front desk and was totally loud and noisy. We found a bag of half eaten chips in the room, the toilet seat was dirty and again the atmosphere was just depressing. Needed major work on the bathroom especially. We decided we needed to leave. I was not going to let the room ruin our trip.

The front desk person was VERY nice and understanding and didn't give us any problem. He worked with us and gave us our money back, I think he knew we felt cheated. As we were waiting for him, we saw a hotel staff member bringing wine to the remodeled room we were supposed to have in the beginning, so they obviously lied to us about the under construction excuse and had given away the room to someone else.

It just seems like this place has potential, but needs work. They should have remodeled the whole place before they opened it. They had the water turned off for about 6 hours that day on the one half of the hotel and I know people were at the front desk complaining about not being able to shower or shave. The hotel's solution was to let them into an unoccupied room in the other side of the hotel to use the bathroom, they were trying to be helpful.

I also think the location is not great. It's in a kind of ugly section of town inbetween the garden district and the Business District. For first-time traveleres to New Orleans, this place is not a good option because you won't get the true New Orleans expereince unless you stay in the or close to the Quarter. If you are a college kid who does not CARE at all about the room and you are planning on just somewhere to crash, this place is OK. But if you are a couple looking for a romantic place, a business traveler or family, this place is not for you.

It has a small amount of potential to be a nicer place, they just need to get organized and work out the kinks.

• Stayed January 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2004

I stayed at the Avenue Garden Hotel in late October. First of all, the city is so much fun during Halloween. I think everyone should go there one year. If you do go, you should stay at the Avenue Garden Hotel, they have the best customer service I have seen in a long time. Everyone from the front desk staff, housekeeping to even the owner are helpful with whatever I may have asked. The hotel has a great New Orleans charm to it, they have a FREE breakfast in the morning, the streetcar is directly outside the front door of the hotel making it so easy to get back and forth to the hotel from the French Quater. There is so much to do in this area of the city even though it is not in the main area, the French Quater. It is in this area the locals call the Garden District, it is an old area of New Orleans that the homes are like masions, they are amazing, it is for sure the most beautiful area in New Orleans that I saw. Bourbon Street was fun for a few nights, but if you want to be somewhere that you can walk out the door and have tons of restaurants and bars and still have the beautiful scenery of the streetcar and nice homes, Avenue Garden Hotel is the place to stay.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2004

A number of years ago we made a visit to New Orleans. During that first trip we stayed in a major hotel in the Central Business Area. It was large, and had a cold atmosphere. We decided for our next trip,(10 years later) , to look into staying outside of the French Quarter and the business center. From our research, we found the Garden Avenue Hotel on St. Charles Avenue, located directly across from the St. Charles streetcar. From this hotel, you can get anywhere in the area. Our experience was above and beyond our expectations. The accomodations were excellent. The staff was friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. They arranged tours, provided little extras, and made our stay so enjoyable. Three of the best meals we had were because of their recommendations. These restaurants were located within walking distance of the hotel. What a team; Alexis, Kristen, Willie and the others. Thank you for making our 37th wedding anniversary one to remember.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2004

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Avenue Garden Hotel back in August 2004 and the room was nice for the price. The hotel use to be a house and there is a long hallway as soon as you enter the hotel. The front desk is really small and located about midway down the hall. The owners have made great use of the space and the decor is really nice but the view from your room leaves something to really be desired. All in all we enjoyed our stay and it is located right on the streetcar line and the 2 places that I would highly recommend for dining would be #1 Copeland's Cheesecake Bistro on St. Charles Ave and #2 Voodoo's Bar-B-Que also located on St. Charles Ave. I would definitely stay at this hotel again especially for the price.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2004

This place is perfect for the budget traveler.
We stayed for four nights, booked through Orbitz.com for a rate of $55 per night.
This is not a high-end hotel, more of a B&B feel to it. However the room was great, comfortable and bathroom was nice. View was non-existent but we didn't spend much time in the room.
Breakfast is extremely basic so set your expecations appropriately there.
The St Charles Ave streetcar could not be more convenient to get to the French Quarter and to the Garden District.
The area is completely safe and in fact is quite full of restaurants and bars. I agree that Voodoo restaurant, right next door, is good value.
We parked on the sidestreet without any problems.
Out of all the hotel staff we encountered, we found Kristen to be extremely good.
This place is perfect budget accomodation in a very convenient location. I would stay here again without question. If you are looking for something more glitzy, or a romantic weekend with a date etc, you might want to choose somewhere more upmarket.

Wilkes-Barre, PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2004

I was very disappointed with this hotel. The room was very small and not cleaned very well at all. There was soap scum in the sink and mold in the shower. The comforter on the bed had spots on it and you could tell that it was not washed after the last occupant.The building is very old and is need of repair.The railing on the steps to the second floor was loose and ready to fall off.My room was off a porch on the second. I had to enter my room from the porch. The light on the porch did not work and I could barely see to get the key in the door. The wood floor on the porch was soft from water damage and rot. It was covered with a carpet but I could feel it sink down when I walked on it. I would not ever stay at this hotel again.

Been to Historic Streetcar Inn? Share your experiences!