“Enjoyed our stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Historic Streetcar Inn

Save Saved
You added Historic Streetcar Inn to your Saves list
Historic Streetcar Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1509 St. Charles Ave., New Orleans, LA 70130 (Formerly Avenue Garden Hotel) (Lower Garden District)   |
Ranked #113 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Toronto, Canada
“Enjoyed our stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

We stated at the Streetcar Inn for 4 nights in November. It is more like a B & B then a hotel. The rooms were clean and quite functional with cable TV, fridge and micro, no phone. It's an older building but kept in good shape. The price was reasonable, breakfast was adequate and people quite friendly. The best part was that it's only a 15 minute walk to Bourbon St or a 3 min streetcar ride just outside the door. Great location.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
AvenueGM1509, General Manager at Historic Streetcar Inn, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to New Orleans. It is great to hear that you had a great stay with us!

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We hope you will come back and visit us soon!

Richard Gillespie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

I wanted to remain optimistic; although going in I had read several bad reveiews, i see myself as a person who looks at the glass half full. Upon check in we were greeted by a very welcoming staff member & shown to the room, she even unlocked the door for us. Upon entry I must admit I was a little taken back by how small the room was, but I expected that from the reviews so it wasn't anything that bothered me. 10 feet in(if that much) was the bathroom where the heating system was which meant the bathroom door would have to remain open at all times. There were very simple, some would say, minor things that could have been done to make the bathroom look a little nicer, a nail & hammer to close the ceiling vent, some paint to cover a patched area in the ceiling and some tile paint for the rust around the tub drain. Oh, I did forget that their is no headboad so when I pulled the pillows back, their was what looked like a streak of sweat mixed with dirt right behind the pillows, could've easily been wiped off by housekeeping with a wet towel.
Although we didn't have a chance to hang out at the hotel, their was a cute little patio area outside.
The only thing that truly got under my skin was the noise, my hubby & I are late sleepers & the common area was right outside of our door so we were awaken by patrons laughing & talking at 7:30am, so if you like to sleep late, beware of room 15 or any of the rooms close to it. We did bang on the wall & they quieted down a little bit. Also the stairs were pretty close to our room so we heard alot of up & downing, all morning. Oh & I couldn't connect to wifi to save my life (which sucked)
B/c of us (trying to) sleep in, we didn't partake in the breakfast so I can't comment on that, but the coffee was good!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
AGHgm, General Manager at Historic Streetcar Inn, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Thank you for staying with us as well as making us aware of your experience.

Please accept my apologies regarding the unfortunate issues that you experienced during your visit with us. I can assure you that this is not the norm. After seeing your comments about housekeeping, especially in regards to the room you stayed in, we have taken our staff to task over this and given retraining. As to the noise issue, we share an alleyway next a restaurant, and have spoken with the management to keep the noise to a minimum so our guests can rest easier.

It is our hope that you will allow us to show you how we have addressed your concerns and that we can do better. Please contact me at gm@histroricstreetcarinn.com or 504-521-8000 when you have plans to return and our team will make sure you have a comfortable visit.

Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

I chose this Inn because it was said it had free breakfast and it did not charge for parking (you had to find your own parking space in the street).

Got there around 9 pm and rang the bell to be let in. Got the key after a little bit and was pointed toward the room, which was across the courtyard and behind another door next to the stairs (looked unsafe to go at night). The door didn't close all the way and flakes were falling from the ceiling. The fan was huge over the bed and I was scared that it would fall down. I had a good night's sleep. Breakfast was supposed to be from 7-10 am, and I needed to leave at 7:20 to get to my business meeting, but there was still no breakfast at 7:15. To make things more ironic, the power went out in the room shortly after, and there was no one to be found to fix it.

I'm an optimist. I choose to look at it as a trip back to the 18th and 19th century. This is how people stayed at hotels: no electricity and very little service.

Room Tip: Wouldn't stay again. Don't think you can choose your own room.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us and thank you so much for your feedback.

Please accept my sincere apologies that your experience was less that top notch. Any feedback we receive helps to make us better. We have taken your comments about the room you have stayed in and gotten our maintenance staff to repair the issues you pointed out. We thank you for letting us know about the problems. Breakfast is another issue that has been addressed since the time of your departure. We have worked to ensure breakfast is out on time for our guests as well.

I would love to have you come back and give us another chance to prove that this is not usual for our hotel. Do not hesitate to contact me directly at gm@historicstreetcarinn.com or 504-521-8000 if you might reconsider staying with us again in the future so I can ensure you a more comfortable stay.

Crawley Down UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

We were so disappointed with this establishment, especially as its prices cannot be classed as "budget". Whilst one does not expect the facilities of a modern hotel in a historic property this should not be used as an excuse for a poor standard of accommodation or service. On arrival we were, with others, literally locked out on the front balcony for 15 minutes due to a "shift change", we were not shown to a room butjuts handed a key and given vague directions to another building and no help was even offerred with our luggage despite us being seniors (my partner is over 80). The room, classed as "de luxe" had no natural light at all.The only "window" was 12 feet above the floor and very small bringing borrowed light from across a hallway. 3 of the 4 bulbs in the central light were blown and we were told there was no-one there to replace them - they did supply the bulbs but I had to climb on the bed (no steps offerred) to fit them. Room (42) was very very tired, rather dingy and not that clean. The smoke alarm was hanging down by its wires from the ceiling. The whole place seems to be run on a shoe string. One staff member on duty the first night was eating her dinner at the reception desk, presumably as she was there alone. On the positive side the location is great with a streetcar stop right outside, the breakfast was acceptable, WIFI was good, there is a small but comfortable lounge area and the staff were really helpful - as long as its was not a complaint ! As things stand would not reccomend this hotel until major improvements are made. Could be really nice with considerable investment in the property and the peole.

Room Tip: Definitely ask to view the room before paying. Avoid room 42 if you like any natural light
Thank you for staying with us and thank you so much for your feedback.

We do take our customer comments as an opportunity to better ourselves. The room you describe is actually a commonly requested one for us, so I was dismayed to hear of the trouble you had with it. We have had our maintenance and Housekeeping staff ensure the room is of quality, but I am sorry it was not to your liking.

We pride ourselves on service, and I apologize of you did not receive that. We do have certain procedure points (Shift Change) that we must follow, but this to ensure the safety of our staff and guests. We will strive to take your observations and better our staff by learning from them.

new york
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

We arrived and were given a converted storage space for a room. No windows. They wouldn't give me another room they said over and over they absolutely don't have another room. I asked for a refund, and they said I would have to talk to Orbitz for a refund. I called Orbitz to cancel, the woman at the register kept making faces and commenting that it was a room just doesn't have a window while I was on the phone. Orbitz called them, I was on the phone for over half an hour, again they keep saying they have no other room. I left and was in the car in the front an hour later, orbitz agent tells me they have a room with a window with two queen beds. This, after we left. They are absolute liars and selling an unacceptable room to people who book online without seeing it.

Absolutely not a three star place. So many other locations nearby, hoteltonight had great offers for the same price ( use promo code serincin for 25 off). I was very upset at the attitude and having spent two hours on what was supposed to be my birthday celebration. At least we ended up in a better place. But never booking on orbitz again.

If you absolutely have to get a place in this "hotel" make sure you see and confirm your room first.

• Stayed November 2013
Hello,

I wanted to respond to your comments about your experience at our hotel. I want to apologize if you found any part of your experience to be less than satisfactory. We did have you placed in a room that matched the kind you requested from Orbitz. It is true that the room had no window, and this is not standard of all rooms, but as we are a historic property, the physical makeup of the hotel has differences in every room. My Front Desk personnel did attempt to offer you a free upgrade to a room with a window and even a better bedtype (King) although you do say otherwise. We believe in taking care of our guests as much as we are able to do, but if we are rebuffed because someone is not going to let us actually help them, then there is little the hotel can do to insure quality service.

Usa, Japan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

my trip with the previous owners of the avenue garden was great however the new owners have not given it the attention that a older establishment needs . i reserved a full side bed for myself and a guest. and was shocked that the room was in such disrepair... first off the room was off of the back side deck in which the floors are sagging and unsafe the rail around the deck was weak and one good push would send you over the edge. Upon entering our room which was the size of a walk in closet we discovered a partially painted room with a small tv in the corner. a leaning makeshift closet which was really a old tv stand no space for luggage no dresser no fridge or microwave. the "floating floor" planks had not been installed making huge gaping holes in the also weak floor. No phones no alarm clock . a ac unit that barely worked . the plumbing was awful.. the cold water in the tub ran constantly and i do mean it ran not dripped . the towel rack fell apart do do the poor instatlation the toilet would not flush properly and to top it all off the toilet seat was not installed properly and came apart while sitting on it...they want no smoking in the rooms i was afraid to go on the deck because of the floor. I think they should be more concerend with the saftey of guests that the "smell" of cigarettes but my room was so small that the smell would have been in it even if i had not beem standing by the door. The staff was very nosey always watching who the guests where ariving and departing with...I was very unhappy with my stay never will i return

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
AGHgm, General Manager at Historic Streetcar Inn, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Please accept my apologies regarding the unfortunate incidents that you experienced during your visit with us. I can assure you that this is not the norm. Our team utilizes comments such as yours to ascertain how we can ensure the next time a guest stays we have ensured to change prior issues with our physical property.

We have recently began renovations on our property to fix some of the leftover issues from prior ownership. We do note that at no time during your stay were these issues brought to our attention, and there was smoking in the room. We advertise a smoke free property, and did have to penalize for this action as we hold all of our guests to the policy at check in. We do hope you consider

It is our hope that you will allow us to show you how we have addressed your concerns and that we can do better. Please contact me at gm@historicstreetcarinn.com or 504-521-8000 when you have plans to return and our team will make sure you have a comfortable visit.

CLEARWATER
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Was excited about going back in history. The excitement quickly passed when I crawled into the bed. Had to fight the lumps all night. the room was small, had a 19" tube type TV, No Phone, No alarm clock and a absolutely filthy carpet. When going out for dinner - I asked about an alarm clock and the hostess apologized and suggested that I use my phone as an alarm clock. She also said that she would leave a note for morning shift to knock on the door. My internal alarm clock woke me up the next morning ( no knock on the door ). There is no parking for the hotel except for the metered street parking at 10 minutes for 25 cents. Fortunately - there was not requirement for meter payment between ( 8pm - 8am). The room was not in the main building - but just beside it and up the stairs. Disappointing - but after arriving late in the evening - I didn't have much choice. RECOMMENDATION: Get to town early and stay at another hotel. I gave this a (1) star because the system would not let me leave it blank.

Room Tip: Find another hotel!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us and thank you so much for your feedback.

We are a historic property and while we do not offer the same experience as standard hotels, we do understand our guests have different tastes when staying with us, and our setting does not appeal to all comers. That being said, we do take your comments seriously and have looked into improving our setting based upon them As to parking, we do not advertise it and have not offered at any point, although we are working to change this situation. As to our room cleanliness, we do pride ourselves on our standards, and have looked into the issue you had.

Richard Gillespie

Been to Historic Streetcar Inn? Share your experiences!