“Historic, esoteric hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Historic Streetcar Inn

Save Saved
You added Historic Streetcar Inn to your Saves list
Historic Streetcar Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1509 St. Charles Ave., New Orleans, LA 70130 (Formerly Avenue Garden Hotel) (Lower Garden District)   |
Ranked #116 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Columbus, Montana
“Historic, esoteric hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

If you prefer the quirks of antique, historic settings, the friendly staff and not overly modern feel of the Avenue Garden Hotel is a perfect retreat from the sameness of so many modern hotels. Located right on the trolley line, we also walked to the riverfront, throughout the French Quarter and to a variety of attractions including the remarkable WW II Museum. If you have a car the on-street parking is not ideal, but when I have stayed there with a car there were no problems. 3:00 AM pecan pie at the St. Charles Tavern across the street is a real plus!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
AGHgm, General Manager at Historic Streetcar Inn, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
We welcome all comments on our hotel, as we take our guest observations very seriously here at the Historic Streetcar Inn. In regards to parking, I cannot arrest to a current solution, but we are exploring several nearby options to get parking for the hotel as so many guests to request it. I will be happy to inform anyone who asks of progress on this situation. Do not hesitate to contact me directly at gm@historicstreetcarinn.com or 504-521-8000 if you consider staying with us again in the future so I can ensure you a more comfortable stay.

Richard D. Gillespie III

330 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

This place is so cool! Built in 1897 and renovated but still has that old charm. Quiet, pet friendly and out front a trolley stop, very convenient. Price--cheapest place on this vacation. Staff is very friendly and helpful to visitors. Katrina knew which hotel to leave alone. Also next door is VooDoo BBQ--you must eat there also!!!!

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for staying with us and thank you so much for your feedback. I would love to have you come back and give us another chance to stay at our hotel. Do not hesitate to contact me directly at gm@historicstreetcarinn.com or 504-521-8000 if you consider staying with us again in the future so I can ensure you a more comfortable stay.

Richard D. Gillespie III
Arlington, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Had a reservation recently and when we arrived, we found that the only parking that this hotel has is: None! They tell you to "just find a space on a side street."

Well, we wanted our car is a designated secure parking area, as some of the side streets in the this part of the city did not seem safe to us and we were transporting some expensive items that we could not carry into the hotel. We asked to cancel our reservation on account of the facts above, but the management went ahead and charged us the full rate because we did not cancel within 6 days of the reservation.

If you don't believe me about the safety issue: They don't let you walk into the lobby as its always locked and they get up and let you in after they look you over.

So my advise to everyone: Park at your own risk and don't even think about cancelling late.

Otherwise the place looked funky but not swanky from what little I saw in the hallway.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
AGHgm, General Manager at Historic Streetcar Inn, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to offer a review of the Avenue Garden Hotel. We take all observations offered, and utilize them to better the overall guest experience.

In regards to parking, we do not advertise parking specifically because none is available at the hotel. Although our new ownership is exploring avenues to change this particular aspect of the hotels amenities, it is a current part of our hotel's setting. I agree it would be better to offer parking, but we are not in the downtown area, where parking is 30+ dollars an evening, and it allows guest who most of the time would be forced to park with no other option, the ability to make a choice on their parking arrangements.

We understand that you were not pleased with the parking situation, and chose to cancel your room with us on the day of arrival. We do have a standard cancellation policy of 7 Days prior to arrival. We ask all our guest to commir to this policy, and in fairness to all those who have adhered and paid a cancellation charge, we could not offer a refund as no reason was given other than a dislike of a parking situation we do not offer in the first place. I hope we can offer parking in the future, but we also must ensure our policies are enforced or the other guests that adhere to them are shown disrespect.

Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I spent one night over Memorial Day weekend. I liked the location on St. Charles Avenue, though my taxi took me to the Avenue Plaza Hotel, instead. I guess this is why they're changing their name to the Historic Car Hotel. My room was on the second floor at the front of the building, which had a small balcony for relaxing and people watching. The room was clean and the bed comfortable. The location allowed me to explore the central business district and the garden district by foot, which were fun.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We hope you will come back and visit us soon! Do not hesitate to contact me directly at gm@avenuegardenhotel.com or 504-521-8000 if you might reconsider staying with us again in the future so I can ensure you a more comfortable stay.

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights at the end of May and I had a wonderful experience. My room, and the whole establishment was so quaint, I absolutely loved it. There was internet and 24 hour coffee. There was a good variety for breakfast, and you could sit out on the patio and eat which was delightful. Glinda, one of the front desk workers was EXTREMELY helpful and so kind. I came to New Orleans for a research project and she took interest in it and pointed me to resources, places, and people that would be helpful in my journey.
This place is even nicer than they make it out to be online, and is surrounded by places to eat. Directly outside is the St. Charles Street Car Line, which you can get an all day pass for $3 and ride all over New Orleans. I highly suggest the Avenue Garden Hotel! (Note that it will be changing its name to the Historic Street Car Inn) I personally loved my stay here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to New Orleans. It is great to hear that you had a great stay with us!

You are welcome back anytime, and I hope that we can make your stay as memorable as the first one. Do not hesitate to contact me directly at gm@avenuegardenhotel.com or 504-521-8000 if you might reconsider staying with us again in the future so I can ensure you a more comfortable stay.

St. Catharines, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

This was our first visit to New Orleans. We stayed for 3 nights starting on May 5th, 2013. We were referred by a lady at the Welcome Centre. I viewed the room before agreeing to register. We were a little concerned at first about the street parking and the flight of stairs located at the end of a long hallway to which we had to cart our luggage however we decided to stay as we liked the overall appearance of the inn. The manager assured us that police patrolled the area regularly and the street parking should not be an issue. After all, the parking was free, the room rates were decent and the establishment was charming. The complimentary "continental style breakfast" offered a nice variety. Although some of the carpet in our room was well worn in areas and nailed down to prevent it from moving, the room was quite adequate for our purposes. There is a convenient street car stop right out front that you can ride unlimited for $3.00 per day. Both reception and housekeeping staff were pleasant and helpful. Our room overlooked the back alley and my only complaint would be the loud sound of dumpsters being emptied in the early however, both my husband and I are early birds and being woken up by these sounds was not too troublesome for us. If we were to return to New Orleans, we would not hesitate to stay at this Hotel again and we definitely would recommend it to family and friends. We recommend that you see the room you will be staying in before registering and ensure they check the room to ensure it meets your individual needs as everyone's expectations are different and what suits one may not suit another. Luxury hotels are over-priced and also charge a considerable amount in excess of the room price for parking. Putting things into perspective, the Avenue Garden Hotel (being renamed Historic Street Car Inn) was affordable.

Room Tip: If you plan to take your car out every day, you may not be guaranteed a parking spot that allows you...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Liberty
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Brontosaurus judge this book by it cover. Looks nice when you drive up but this place is filthy. I found a dog turd under the night stand it took the staff hours to remove the nasty dried up dog turd, it looked like it had been there for days so you can see haw well the clean. And when they did come to remove the turd in question ther was a paper cup on the floor and they didn't even pick it up. No vacuum was even ran over the dog turd. My wife had about 20 bed bug bites when we got home. Like I said this place looks great when you walk up but it needs a deeeeeeeeep deeeeep clean. The room had a terrible smell but that could be that they have dog turds laying aroud Long enough to start tomturn white We found the dog turd on our second and last night stay and I was sick just thinking about it all night long. Also when they came to clean the dog turd they left us no towels to boot. They just picked up the turd and put the cover back on the bed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for staying with us and thank you so much for your feedback.

Please accept my sincere apologies that your experience was less that top notch. Any feedback we receive helps to make us better. We did research the issue you claim, and while no vermin were found, we have thoroughly cleansed the room, and ensured from floor to ceiling is sanitized and secure of any such issues. In regards to the issue with the dog, it has been looked into, and although we found no such issues in the past, we have dismissed the person responsible for the incident, as well as thoroughly retrained all other staff members to ensure this matter never occurs again. We strive to ensure the cleanliness of our hotel, and although this was an isolated incident, it is one we take seriously.

I would love to have you come back and give us another chance to prove that this is not usual for our hotel. Do not hesitate to contact me directly at gm@avenuegardenhotel.com or 504-521-8000 if you might reconsider staying with us again in the future so I can ensure you a more comfortable stay.

Richard Gillespie

Been to Historic Streetcar Inn? Share your experiences!