“Different... B&B Feel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Historic Streetcar Inn

Save Saved
You added Historic Streetcar Inn to your Saves list
Historic Streetcar Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1509 St. Charles Ave., New Orleans, LA 70130 (Formerly Avenue Garden Hotel) (Lower Garden District)   |
Ranked #116 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Lucedale, Ms
“Different... B&B Feel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Although the staff at the "Hotel" was very helpful and nice, the "hotel" was lacking. First there is no parking available. You have to park on the street wherever you can find a spot...around the block behind the hotel was the best we could do... and hope your car is safe. Next after checking in we had to down a hall, out a door...like outside, down some steps to get to our room. I'm glad it wasn't raining. Old fashion door key, ok I can handle that except there seem to be a trick & wiggle to get it to work. The room appeared clean, very small with several areas of peeling paint... hope it wasn't lead paint. The people above us were either very loud or the floors are very thin. We could hear everything! There is a BBQ rest. next door and we could hear their music loudly as well. The bed was old-time springs that squeaked with every movement. Lets just say this was not a good experience for me... at all, even for the price & I would not suggest anyone but road warriors stay here. Just my opinion, others may like the "charm".

Room Tip: Ask for a room inside.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
AGHgm, General Manager at Historic Streetcar Inn, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you for staying with us as well as making us aware of your experience. We welcome guest comments to let us know where opportunities to improve may exist.

The Hotel has recently come under new management, and we are working to improve the facility at this time. We realize some of our guests have not experienced a historic property, and it does differ from a modern american hotel. Although the charm and ambience may not be for everyone, we do believe it is a wonderful New Orleans experience like no other. Many changes will be coming soon, and we look forward to offering them to all our guests in the near future.

It is our hope that you will allow us to show you another great experience. Please contact me at gm@avenuegardenhotel.com or 504-521-8000 when you have plans to return and our team will make sure you have a comfortable visit.

330 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

The manager was really helpful in organizing our stay in New Orleans for two days, we did a lot!! The hotel was well located, very close to public ltransportation (3.00$ a day) to use the trolley, which was fun!! unfortunately the place could use a good clean up, to be frank I was walking with my slippers, certainly not bare feet... the place need a lot of improvement. I always say to myself, things could be used, but it could be cleaned...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us and thank you so much for your feedback.

Please accept my sincere apologies that your experience was less that top notch. Any feedback we receive helps to make us better. We have looked into the issue you mention, and have ensured our staff has proper retraining on the matter. We believe in the service we provide, and the only way to ensure it is top quality is to improve ourselves with our guest comments

I would love to have you come back and give us another chance to prove that this is not usual for our hotel. Do not hesitate to contact me directly at gm@avenuegardenhotel.com or 504-521-8000 if you might reconsider staying with us again in the future so I can ensure you a more comfortable stay.

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We were concerned about a few of the reviews on here, most specifically about the cleanliness and upkeep of the hotel. After staying here for 3 nights, all I can say is - if you're looking for a Hilton, go stay at the one down the road! This hotel is a typically quaint and charming New Orleans style accommodation. There are cracks in the tiles and creaks in the floors such as is to be expected from an old building. But the areas are kept clean, the bathroom in our room was newly renovated with clean grout, tub and sink area. The bed was a little saggy so I'd recommend that the hotel invest in some type of mattress covering to update the comfort level a bit, but overall we would stay here again without hesitation. We were lodged in room 21 which was perfect - between two rooms so we didn't have any noise from the street or the stairway, and on the second floor away from front entrance foot traffic. A small fireplace (non working) added to the charm of the room, as did the very tall windows. The room came with a mini fridge, TV, hair dryer and organic toiletries. No phone, which was perfect for a getaway! Don't expect an elevator to any of the 3 floors. WiFi was offered and we had to request the password from the front desk.

There is a lovely little courtyard where we enjoyed our morning continental breakfast, as well as a well furnished seating area in the building itself. Surrounding that seating area are rooms 15 through 18 which I would not recommend as I anticipate there would be quite a bit of noise from rowdy guests hanging out in this seating area (just my impression).

The best part of this hotel is its location and ease of access to major areas. The St Charles Avenue streetcar (think: trolley) stops right in front of this hotel and hopping on that will get you to the French Quarter and Bourbon, Decatur or Canal Streets in less than 10 minutes. At this time, the street car prices are $1.25 for a ride or $3 all day hop on/hop off - totally recommend the latter option as the ticket is also good for buses. We also enjoyed the double decker hop on/hop off option with guided tour - not included in that $3 but this "tour" has stops about 15 blocks from the hotel and is great for first time NOLA visitors.

Two things were really lacking in this hotel, though. First, we stayed here during Jazz Fest, which means we paid 3 times the normal price of rooms in this hotel. That's the nature of the beast during festivals, but with a tiny bit of effort on the hotel's part, we would have felt a little more cared for and a little less like we were being gouged. When we checked in, the front desk staff person had no clue how to get to the festival grounds, no idea where to locate a schedule of which artist was playing the Fest, etc. Seriously? We headed next door to a restaurant and found a free magazine put out by the city with every bit of information we needed about Jazz Fest. A bit of effort from the hotel with a Jazz Fest packet sitting in our room would have guaranteed that this would have been our hotel of choice when we return for the Fest next year. Interestingly enough, on our last day we discovered festival ground maps and the city magazine tucked away in a corner of the hotel - as this was not made readily available to guests in their room it simply showed a lack of desire to go above and beyond.

Secondly, the hotel staff was friendly, but expounding on my first issue above, they don't know the area at all. On our first day heading into Jazz Fest, they actually sent us in the wrong direction. When we asked for how to get the street car to a bus, they printed us a driving map which was completely useless since we weren't using our car. When we wanted to find an intersection, they had never even heard of the street we were looking for, which ended up being just a few blocks up the road. Again, having the staff be knowledgeable about what is happening around the city, including the basics of how to navigate the public transportation, would ensure guests felt they were getting a good overall experience rather than just being charge an exorbitant amount for a bed to sleep in.

We would stay here again, but we would first look elsewhere just to see if we could get a better customer service type experience at another hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to New Orleans. It is great to hear that you had a great stay with us!

We appreciate your kind words and honest observations. We will ensure your next experience in New Orleans is even better than the first.

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We hope you will come back and visit us soon! Do not hesitate to contact me directly at gm@avenuegardenhotel.com or 504-521-8000 if you might consider staying with us again in the future so I can ensure you a more comfortable stay.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I was initially apprehensive about staying here after reading some of the reviews but we were really happy with our experience.

No, this isn't The Hilton, but if you want that kind of soul-less experience then you are in the wrong city anyway.

What you will get - a hotel with real New Orleans character (its almost like staying in your rich friend's house).

Our room was clean, it's in a safe area (with the street car stop literally across the road) and the staff went above and beyond their call of duty when I had a problem with my booking company.

If you want a real New Orleans experience then I promise this hotel won't disappoint you, and in comparison to some of it's competitors prices its a real bargain.

If I ever come back to New Orleans I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again and would definitely recommend it!

• Stayed April 2013
AGHgm, General Manager at Historic Streetcar Inn, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
We appreciate you kind words, and on behalf of my staff let me say it was a pleasure hosting your stay here in New Orleans. We welcome your comments and are ensuring all matters you have mentioned are being attended too.

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We hope you will come back and visit us soon! Do not hesitate to contact me directly at gm@avenuegardenhotel.com or 504-521-8000 if you might consider staying with us again in the future so I can personally ensure you a comfortable stay.

Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Geez....We wanted charm but found a dingy room, wonder bread, cheap pastry and powdered coffee creamer for breakfast and 2 days of no housekeeping. You can certainly do better. There are new owners who are, apparently, cutting corners with little regard for guests. There's no management on site in the evenings so don't loose your key or flood your toilet!

The garden district is wonderful though and public transportation is very convenient.

The web site states that airport transportation is available. It isn't.

New Orleans is a city of magic, adventure, great food and amazing music. Go soon. Stay
somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Please accept my sincere apologies that your experience was less than your expectations. Any feedback we receive helps to make us better.

We are bringing exciting new changes to the hotel as we have come under new management. In regards to breakfast, there are new items we will be introducing in the coming months that will expand our breakfast selection. As we are a historic property, sometimes guests that stay with us want the modern hotel experience. We have looked into the issue with housekeeping and although you did feel good enough about our hotel to stay 2 nights even with the listed issues, we have ensured retraining and emphasis on cleanliness is paramount.

Longwood
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

The web site has stock photos that are not representative of the actual hotel with the exception of the photo of the front of the property. This is not a charming nor particularly clean property. It is neglected. The web site also indicates it is recently renovated. I promise you, our room hadn't seen a renovation in decades. There were all kinds of things under the bed. It obviously had not seen a vacuum in quite a while. There was a mirror hiding a hole in the wall and a rug on top of a portion of the carpet. There were about 10 feet or more of extension cords in a pile under the AC wall unit. The bathroom was quite dated. That did not bother me but the shower rod was extremely rusted and the grout in the shower was missing or dirty.

The web site also indicates there is airport transportation; maid service; fireplaces and a continental breakfast. They do not provide courtesy airport transportation; our room was not cleaned the 5 days and 4 nights we were there and the continental breakfast consisted of instant oatmeal; wonder bread; english muffins and pastries. If you want cream in your coffee, it is powered. As for the fireplace, it is a space heater.

We asked to have our room cleaned 3 different times and was assured that they clean all of their rooms daily. We never did get our room cleaned so we gathered the trash in the waste baskets and the wet towels in the bathroom and placed them outside of our room.

On the plus side, it was in a convenient location.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
AGHgm, General Manager at Historic Streetcar Inn, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
In general, we take all our guests reviews with an open mind so we can see what they see. We want to ensure that our guests comments are attended to so problems can be averted in regards to our future guests. This will not be the case with this review.

The guests involved with this stay refused housekeeping service every day of their stay, and only at the end of the stay was it brought to our attention that they had not received service (although they had refused service). Because of the alleged issue, they demanded a refund of at least one night for their trouble. They were referred to the manager (myself) on the next weekday, and they contacted me.

After speaking with the guest, it was conveyed that unless we proceeded to give them the refund they asked about, they would immediately place a bad review on tripadvisor, and other sites. They claimed other issues besides the housekeeping service, but refused to discuss them at the time of the conversation. We are always open to discussing any issues that our guests have as we believe in the service we provide and want to please all of out guests.

To answer points made in the review, we did not hear of any issues with the room during the entire stay. We do offer maid service daily (when allowed in the rooms). Breakfast is actually a broad continental style with many options for our guests inclusive of pastries, breads, grits and oatmeal. We offer a comparable continental breakfast to any hotel in our area. Coffee is offered with many options, including creamer (liquid or powdered) to fill different guest desires.

This review requires a different stance as we were not informed of any of the issues the guest was allegedly having. Nor was housekeeping service allowed to clean their room during the entirety of the stay. As well, the guest does ensure a negative review, yet chose to stay the entire breadth of their reservation and not depart. After all these facts they still request a refund, and threaten that if not given money, they will write negative reviews on numerous sites to make the hotel look bad. I feel this is not a legitimate review but an attempt to attain an undeserved refund.

Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Good location in the garden district and right across the road from the street car stop. Staff were helpful booking an excursion for me and printing out boarding cards on checkout. Breakfast was minimal but still a nice start to the day. This hotel is converted from an old house so it has lots of character. Our room was spacious but could have done with a little attention as there was a bare gripper rod in between the room and the bathroom. Room was clean and comfortable. There is a lovely little terrace area where you can eat your breakfast and have a coffee. The stoop at the front has rocking chairs where you can sit and people watch. All in all a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Our room was on the side so was ok but I think the front rooms night have a lot of traffic noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Richard Gillespie

Been to Historic Streetcar Inn? Share your experiences!