“Great St.Patricks Day Stay!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Historic Streetcar Inn

You added Historic Streetcar Inn to your Saves list
Historic Streetcar Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1509 St. Charles Ave., New Orleans, LA 70130 (Formerly Avenue Garden Hotel)   |
Ranked #120 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Orlando, Florida
“Great St.Patricks Day Stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Thankfully we were not steered away from this quaint hotel by previous reviews. The staff were friendly, welcoming and helpful. We live an hour away and wanted a location close to the parade route for St. Patricks day and this ended up being perfect. We stayed in room 12 which is in the main hall on the first floor. It supplied a comfortable king size bed, dresser and flat screen TV. Toiletries were supplied but we usually bring our own because we like specific things. Pleanty of towels and tissue. The room was clean and neat. As for noise, well this is New Orleans so we know there will be noise from other guests, employees and street noises. The continental breakfast consisted of coffee, tea, orange juice, bagels, bread for toast, muffins, cinnamon rolls, instant grits and oatmeal plus all of the condiments. This was just right for something small to tide you over until walking down the street to the Trolly Stop for a full breakfast. The hotel is right on the trolly line so it is easy to get to the French Quarter. Right next door is Voo Doo BBQ and The Slice pizza, which has a fantastic menu and happy hour! St. Charles Tavern does a great burger and breakfast. Across the street is the Irish House Pub which serves drinks and food. As with any large city you take care in looking at your surroundings at night, it never felt unsafe as people were always around. I do advise people do some research on the area you are traveling to and what to expect. This is a house that has been converted to a hotel which means it is an old building with some character. Yes some things need to be repaired but they are working on them. This in my mind give the place character and is not your typical run of the mill cookie cutter hotel. If you are looking to stay somewhere that feels like you are staying in a friends house in the master suite this place is perfect! Thank you to the staff for a great weekend and we will refer you to others and we will definately be back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
AGHgm, General Manager at Historic Streetcar Inn, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to New Orleans. It is great to hear that you had a great stay with us!

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We hope you will come back and visit us soon!

Accommodate

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I've been reading all the reviews from other visitors. I'd like to give a different more realistic point of view.
I do believe everybody chose the avenue garden hotel because it WAS the least expensive option in the area without being all the way by the airport. The hotel is old...but c'mon these people are judging like they live in the lap of luxury. if that were the case they wouldn't have made a reservation at this affordable new orleans hotel. amirite?
yes..you can hear other guests' water through the pipes in the wall...yes, the building is antique...which to me translates into old world charm. but i'm thinking most people get hotel rooms so they have a nice, clean, safe place to sleep while they're on vacation. this hotel meets those needs. I suppose if you're the type of person who hangs out in your room all day wanting sea weed wrap spa treatments... this might not be the place for you.

here's the truth..and i'm laying it down. i paid just about $100 bucks a night..MUCH below the $300 i was quoted at other french quarter hotels. My bed was comfy..my room was clean. the front desk staff was polite. I was out on the town all day...rolled into my room late in the evening. I got what i paid for and i was EXTREMELY satisfied.

I was pleased i was not right in the mess of the quarter...the area where the avenue garden hotel is located is a cool. plenty of nice places to eat, a great coffee shop across the street..a nice walk to the magazine street shops and the beautiful garden district. I guess..i just know there's more to NOLA than the french quarter.

thanks so much, avenue garden hotel..i had a great vacation..and a pleasant stay.
the money i saved on the hotel room was well spent on food and gifts in your lovely city.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us and thank you so much for your feedback.

Please accept my sincere gratitude for your kind words. We at the Avenue Garden Hotel always welcome comments and my team thanks you for your honest assessment of our property.

I would love to have you come back and give us another chance to create a great stay for you. Do not hesitate to contact me directly at gm@avenuegardenhotel.com or 504-521-8000 if you might consider staying with us again in the future so I can ensure you a more comfortable stay.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I booked on Expedia and was told it was pet friendly and wood be charged $10/pet/night. When we got there the receptionist threw a fit about the dogs, made a phone call and we could hear her describing them and acting like we were trying to pull a fast one. She asked whoever she called if they knew about this and called my boxer a pit bull. Then she preceded to try to charge me double. I had called the hotel directly after booking to confirm the pet policy and charges.. I said no and we would pay what was originally quoted. Then she said she had to change our room and gave us a room disconnected from the main building and under a party house. They blasted music both nights we were there. The room was chewed up and scratched and obviously a downgrade. This hotel was not pet friendly and treated me, my boyfriend and my will behaved and obedient babies very unwelcome. It wasn't even nice or offering amenities. We prefer unique, boutique style hotels and would not recommend this one with or without pets.

• Stayed March 2013
AGHgm, General Manager at Historic Streetcar Inn, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank you for staying with us as well as making us aware of your experience.

Please accept my apologies regarding the unfortunate incidents that you experienced during your visit with us. I can assure you that this is not the norm. We do advertise we are a pet friendly hotel, specifically on sites such as Expedia and Google. We also state on these sites we accept pets of 25 lbs or less. We understand that a pet is a part of anyone's family, but as we are a smaller property we can only accommodate a smaller size pet because of room size limitations. We did make an exception to this advertised policy for you, and placed you in the only room that could accommodate the larger sized animals you had with you. The room you were placed in has been reviewed in regards to your observations and we are ensuring that the issues you related are being corrected for the future.

It is our hope that you will allow us to show you how we have addressed your concerns and that we can do better. Please contact me at gm@avenuegardenhotel.com or 504-521-8000 when you have plans to return and our team will make sure you have a comfortable visit.

Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I stayed here for business because every other hotel in the area was booked. I agree with other reviewers - this is an obsolete hotel and needs a major renovation and upgrade. Everything in the room is hard (bed, tissues, towels, etc), the walls/floor/bathroom are dirty. You can hear the water go through the pipes every time people in the rooms around you use their bathroom. I am a single 28 yr old female and I was not comfortable walking around this area alone at night. During the day, it would be fine. Off the beaten path, far from french quarter. The people that work there are really nice, however the facility is not.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us as well as taking time to complete a review of the hotel.

Being a historic property we often hear of the issues you have spoken about. We are a hotel that appeals more to the individual that seeks an experience more themed to the classic New Orleans. I realize we are not like your more standardized hotels, but that is what makes us the more unique experience for our guests. We do offer modern amenities, and a clean environment , but we appreciate your comments and will work hard to ensure this issue is not a problem for you or our other guests in the future,

It is our hope that you will allow us to show you that we can do better. Please contact me at gm@avenuegardenhotel.com or 504-521-8000 when you have plans to return and our team will make sure you have a comfortable visit.

Houston, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

So very unprofessional. We booked our room in the middle of January for a reservation on 02/22 and 02/23 (2013) This weekend upcoming. We called to confirm our reservation today and they tell us that they have no record of our booking even though they have already charged my card the full amount for the two day stay. Called and a gentleman tried to help me and i received a call back from Ora who was rude and unhelpful! She acted as though I was trying to take advantage of her and wouldn't even look into the names of our other guests to verify if perhaps the room was booked under the wrong name. They refused to refund my money so we can book another hotel. Also, we booked a 6 bed room and the woman whom which we booked told me they in fact do have this as did the first gentleman that i spoke with but Ora told me that that isn't even something the hotel has. Conflicting information and can't get a straight answer. I i could give negative stars i would! Didn't even get a chance to stay here and already unsatisfied!!!!! Will file complaints and have other 5 guests comment. Thanks for the heartache. Awesome bachelorette weekend :(

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
AvenueGM1509, General Manager at Historic Streetcar Inn, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Thank you taking time to complete a review of the hotel. Please accept my apologies for the inconsistent level of service that you experienced . We have refunded the deposit as I discussed with you as we were not able to accommodate the change in your reservation from March to February. I will say that we do not offer a 6 bedded room as none exist, but do offer a room for 6 adults. If there was any sort of confusion, we will strive to ensure it is made clearer in the future. I am confident that our team will work hard to continuously improve and provide a high level of service on a consistent basis.

Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Obsolete hotel, need major renovation and upgrade. Location is good, walking distance from the french quarter and charles avenue is nice to walk all the way to the end or take the street car.
If rooms where less than 100 uds would have been honest, regerdless of the high season.
Bathroom kind of dirty, not from lazy cleaning staff but for age of premises, movable tiles, cracked door, rusty shower etc.
Breakfat is a joke, do not count on that, walk out and get proper food.
Noisy AC made sleeping difficult if not impossible.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us and thank you so much for your feedback.

Please accept my sincere apologies that your experience was less that top notch. Any feedback we receive helps to make us better. In regards to the age of the hotel, we are a historic property, so modern hotels do have a different style than what you might have been expecting. We believe that we offer an experience that is truly New Orleans, and part of that is the style and history of the area. Our breakfast does offer a diverse menu for a continental breakfast and we are expanding it in the coming months, but I am sorry the menu was not to your liking.

I would love to have you come back and give us another chance to prove that this is not usual for our hotel. Do not hesitate to contact me directly at gm@avenuegardenhotel.com or 504-521-8000 if you might reconsider staying with us again in the future so I can ensure you a more comfortable stay.

Kata, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

if this had been a 75.00 a night hotel it would have been satisfactory. First of all, there is NO PARKING at this hotel, the only parking is first come first serve on the side streets, which are very crowded, no security. Once you get a parking place at night, you dont want to get back out because you might not get a spot when you come back due to the restaurants surrounding the hotel. We got there the first night, to no heat in our room, and it was VERY cold. They tried to bring us one of those fan operated heaters?!?!! Obviously we were not going to accept that, so we had to pack up and move to the second floor. The next room did have heat, but was very small, barely enough room to move around, two beds, four people. My husband kept complaining about his bed (yes we each sleep with child on vacation). By the third night, i sat on it and realized what the problem was, a broken box spring!!! We did complain and they did switch it out, but it still squeaked every time you moved. The furniture in the rooms was outdated, and i dont mean antique. Did not match, had a broken handle on dresser. Like I said, for 150.00 plus a night, i think it was way overpriced!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
AvenueGM1509, Manager at Historic Streetcar Inn, responded to this review, February 22, 2013

Richard Gillespie

Been to Historic Streetcar Inn? Share your experiences!