“A real gem!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of HH Whitney House on the Historic Esplanade

Save Saved
You added HH Whitney House on the Historic Esplanade to your Saves list
HH Whitney House on the Historic Esplanade
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   1923 Esplanade Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70116   |
Ranked #42 of 145 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“A real gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We really enjoyed our recent stay at the H H Whitney House on our first visit to New Orleans. This grand home has lots of charm and it is situated in a quiet neighbourhood within walking distance of the French Quarter. We really enjoyed our daily walks along the historic Esplanade. Guests are invited to relax in the parlor/sitting room on the main floor and the backyard has a pool, hot tub, fountain, and lush vegetation. The house is filled with interesting antiques. There is ample parking on the property.
We stayed in the Scarlet O’Hara room. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. There was ample space for the two of us. Free WiFi access was appreciated.
Glen is a perfect host: welcoming, thoughtful, and helpful. We felt welcome from the moment we arrived and he made us feel like special guests. Glen gave us a helpful orientation when we arrived and prepared a city map that included great recommendations of places to eat and visit. Before our trip, we received a detailed email that answered many of our questions and it provided directions from the airport.
Breakfast each morning was delicious and well presented. We enjoyed the bottomless cups of tasty coffee. Snacks, bottled water and soda were always available. We enjoyed the opportunity to chat with the other guests and Glen during breakfast.
I would not hesitate to recommend H & H Whitney House and hope that we can visit again.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

154 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Little Rock, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

First of all, I cannot explain how thrilled I was with my stay at HH Whitney House! The personal touches and care you guys put into your B&B is obvious! For example: Randy called me a few days prior to my visit and we talked about my traveling alone. On my way down, I received a phone call from him checking to make sure I was doing okay! Talk about service! When I arrived, Randy was ready to talk about Plantations (because that's what I was planning to do), and had so many suggestions. I pretty much followed all of his suggestions after the first one was so right! Drago's for the Charbroiled Oysters, Mandina's for the Turtle Soup (thanks Randi Amelia!) and French Market Restaurant for Crawfish Etouffee! You knew what you were talking about! And the breakfasts were positively divine! Thank you all for making me feel like a long lost friend and welcoming me into your home.

One thing I want to address...I read one of these reviews that was talking about how horrible the location was. It was very evident to me that this area is still in a rebuilding phase, however I felt completely safe and the locals were friendly! I'm sure if you don't exercise common sense that you might not be safe, but I was a single female traveling in New Orleans...from a small town in Arkansas. I'm certain if something bad was going to happen, that I would have been a prime target.

I will definitely be back & will share this gem with my friends. Repeat customers is the best compliment you can receive and I was thrilled to be staying with you along side not one, but two repeat guests! Keep up the fabulous work! Thanks for making my stay in New Orleans so much fun!

Room Tip: The bed in the Bride's Room is awesome! Even if your bathroom is down the hall, it's a GREA...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

A MUST DO!!! What an amazing home! It is absolutely beautiful. Definitely feels like walking in to the old South. Glen & Randy are amazing hosts full of tales, recommendations & hospitality. Very welcoming atmosphere. We felt right at home with their family. The pool & hottub are a definite bonus...great way to end a long day, I felt like we were saying goodbye to friends when we left.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Scarlett O'Hara room. Was just like the picutres on the website.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

What a find! We recently stayed at the HH Whitney B&B for Jazz Festival and the location could not be more perfect. It is literally half-way between the festival grounds & the French Quarter (about 15 mins walk to each). The hot breakfast served each morning is unbelievable- including the best French toast I've ever had! There's also free bottled water, soft drinks & snacks throughout the day. The rooms are great- spacious & clean. Only minor problem was that the walls were a little thin so we could hear the snorer next door- but so minor! The pool area is also a great place to relax. Would definitely recommend this B&B.

• Stayed May 2012
Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

My boyfriend and I decided to take a get away trip to New Orleans. It was our first time to go and also our first time ever staying in a bed and breakfast. Let me tell you, after staying at the HH Whitney House...I sincerely hope that other bed & breakfasts that we stay at in the future will be just as hospitable and elegant as this one was! The house is quaint and well preserved and kept. The history of the house is up on the walls for all to see..very interesting. It was fun talking to some of the other guests and meeting them. Everyone was so nice. As a female, I was a bit skeptical of New Orleans just because in previous years I have heard so much about violence and crime. I was nervous about going and walking around places...but we had no problems whatsoever..nor did we even feel uncomfortable in the slightest. We walked around during the day, and took a cab back at night to the house. It worked out well!

And the food..oh jeez. The breakfast..was AMAZING (to say the least). Saturday night, my boyfriend and I came back to the house a little earlier after a long day, and we saw Glen in the kitchen. Curious, we walked in there to say hello & saw him making breakfast for the next day. He was making pecan praline french toast casserole. How many places will you ever stay at where you will see the inn keeper preparing something for the guests..a day in advance? Seriously..I was impressed. And that next morning when we ate that casserole for breakfast, I was in Heaven. I should also note, that on the last day we were there, which was a Sunday, the Rock n Roll half marathon was taking place. Glen was nice enough to bring chairs and tables outside for us and we all had breakfast outdoors in front of the house so we could watch and greet all the runners. We also had a speaker and music playing. It was so nice! If I ever go back to New Orleans...I know where I am staying! HH Whitney House!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

An ideal location for a reunion! Six of us gathered from different locations to celebrate birthdays, friendship, recovery, gratitude and grace! Glen, Randy, Maria, and RA welcomed us into their home and hearts. They extended themselves in every way and we are grateful for the attention, the love they extended,and all the wonderful food we enjoyed. Thank you!!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

I would recommend this place to friends (and did) for a relaxed stay just outside the French Quarter, and a short walk to Frenchman Street music venues. HH Whitney is in a quiet residential neighborhood on Esplanade that's close enough to walk to the French Quarter but away from the late-night noise that can be part of French Quarter hotel experiences.

I really enjoyed my stay there - I had the Groom's Room, which would be comfortable for 1 or 2 people. The Groom's Room shared a bathroom and shower (in separate rooms down the hall) with the Bride's Room but in early February, I had use of facilities to myself the first two nights. The B & B is elegantly furnished without being fussy, with a sitting room that had comfortable seating for reading or relaxing downstairs, a dining room, and kitchen where the owners had snacks and a refrigerator stocked with soft drinks for guests. Stairs lead to guest rooms upstairs and I was able to use the free wi-fi to research my activities, and get driving directions. I met some nice guests from across the U.S. also staying there and discussed different New Orleans activities with them since it was my 8th NOLA trip. Glen was a most gracious host and was very helpful to first-time visitors, telling them about museums and attractions, restaurants, shopping, giving directions and advice about avoiding sketchy neighborhoods.

I had rented a car to do plantation tours one day and swamp tour the next so I was usually the first guest out the door in the morning as I wanted to get an early start each day as it was a bit of a drive out of New Orleans to each activity. Maria, who cooks breakfast and does housekeeping, accommodated me with breakfast each day; in fact, the day of the swamp tour, it was a little longer drive and I was only going to have cereal and a little coffee and Maria made me a breakfast ham and cheese croissant to go that morning.

In fact, some friends who live in Kenner came by to pick me up for dinner one night, saw the accommodations inside, and met Glen, then said that they were sufficiently impressed and would tell out-of-town visitors that HH Whitney would be a good place to stay.

Room Tip: All guest rooms are upstairs, some with their own bathrooms; Bride's Room and Groom's Room s...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Been to HH Whitney House on the Historic Esplanade? Share your experiences!