“Very good Hotel - but be wary!” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   300 Canal Street, New Orleans, LA 70130-1010   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #107 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Houston, Tx
“Very good Hotel - but be wary!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

We stayed at the Doubletree on Canal Street in NOLA in June 2010. It's a superior location because of it's proximity to Harrah's Casino, the Riverwalk Marketplace, Canal Street, the French Quarter, etc. It's all within a 5 minute walk. Be careful in selecting a room at the front desk, some rooms are renovated, some aren't, and there's a BIG difference between the two. The Doubletree website offered a great rate plus breakfast buffet for 2 each day, so check the hotel website before reserving. All in all, a nice, economical (for NOLA), quiet, comfortable stay in a nice hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Baltimore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

I don't think that this hotel has ever been renovated. This was surprising because it is a Hilton associate. The walls, the carpet are just disgusting, especially the carpet. I was there for a convention for 6 nights. For three days and nights, we had water standing in the bathroom floor. At first, they could not figure out where it was coming from so they removed the stool and caulked a couple of times. After the third day, it was fixed. The room was very close, especially the bathroom was tiny, had no fan to vent ordors, door was difficult to close. The walls are so thin you could hear other guests talking. The ice machine on our floor was broken most of the time. We had to call room service for ice. We had requested a non-smoking room, but the smoke smell was so strong housekeeping came to spray. This did not help.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

I was very unimpressed by this hotel. The staff was not very professional and seemed to me like they were always waiting for a tip instead of providing genuine service. Location was good, but no better than the other major hotels. Also, I could hear the water running in rooms around me as if someone was showering in my own bathroom - it was very unsettling!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

Wish I had listened to the reviews, but thought maybe people were just being picky. It wasn't awful, but I wouldn't stay there again. They just haven't kept it up. The room furniture didn't fit and was mismatched and the bathroom was old/nasty. The location was good, and that was probably the only good part.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Chino Hills, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

I recently attended a conference in New Orleans and booked my stay at the Doubletree. I had stayed at doubletree hotels before, so I was expecting a certain level of comfort and service. I have to say that while my stay wasn't terrible, it wasn't what I remembered a doubletree being like.

The rooms were somewhat small, which was ok as a solo traveler, but had my wife been there with me it would have been a difficult fit. There was a small closet which was interesting to use since I was going to be there for a week. The bathroom was also not very big with a toilet that looked like the kind you would see in many public restrooms across the country. The shower was ok and they provided some nice lotions, etc.

The major downfall of this hotel is the noise. Granted, I was there during the Essemnce Music Festival, not attending it, just happened to be there at the same time. Before the festival started and after it had ended the noise was better, but there is still a lot of noise from normal doors closing. It's a bit of a problem when you can hear the entire door closing and locking process from the rooms all around you. The bathrooms were also not very sound-proof as I could hear my neighbors having conversations at all hours of the night.

The food was good. Room service was timely and efficient. The food had a lot of flavor and arrived to my room hot. Very friendly delivery people as well.

Overall my stay was ok, but I would probably not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Jackson, Mississippi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2010

Where do i start.. 1. The guy that checked me in was flirting wth the (male) customers, when i walked up he got pissed. 2. I paid for my room and instead of giving me my change back he sat it on the counter. 3. There were no parks at the hotel available, so i had 2 park 2 blocks away. 4. When i got to the room it had 2 b the worst room available, it felt damp and was covered in mildew. 5. Got anther room and by the time i sat down, security was knocking on my door saying i was making 2 much noise going thur the doorway with my luggage. DO NOT STAY HERE!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

Terrible place to stay, i had stayed at the Ritz carlton the night before I was scheduled to stay here for work, the Ritz was $200 a night, while this was $165 and that was with a conference discount. the difference in quality was 10 times the difference in price. It was horrid. I promptly found another hotel, which was NICER and cheaper and personally paid the one night the hotel forced me to pay despite being there less than an hour. Now I'm on the phone disputing a mysterious charge for another night.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Been to Doubletree by Hilton Hotel New Orleans? Share your experiences!