“Go back in time to an era of gentility and romance in old New Orleans” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Degas House

You added The Degas House to your Saves list
The Degas House
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   2306 Esplanade Ave., New Orleans, LA 70119 (Mid-City)   |
Ranked #62 of 145 New Orleans B&B and Inns
New Orleans, LA
“Go back in time to an era of gentility and romance in old New Orleans”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2009

As I live across the Lake from New Orleans and frequently have in-town plans, I am a regular guest at The Degas House Bed & Breakfast in New Orleans. Furnished with authentic French and American antiques from the Victorian era and located in the Bayou St. John neighborhood of the City, this authentically restored Creole home (which was originally the residence of the cousins of renowned French impressionist artist, Edgar Degas) is steeped in history and romance, and conveniently located to access any part of town: Ten minutes by car from Uptown; Five minutes from the Central Business District; Five minutes from the French Quarter; and Ten minutes from the Arts/Warehouse District.

Degas House has received numerous accolades from various organizations, including:
•The National Register of Historic Places, United States of America;
•Louisiana Preservation Alliance, The National Trust for Historic Preservation;
•Awarded Excellence In Restoration;
•The City of New Orleans, Golden Hammer Award for Historic Preservation;
•The New Orleans Historic Districts Landmarks Commission, Awarded Purple Rating, (One of only six in New Orleans)

Guests are catered to every morning in the dining room, and the rest of the staff go out of their way to make you feel like you are home away from home. There are even occasional live concerts in the courtyard!

In every stay at the Degas House I am transported back to another era of gentility and romance, when time moved more slowly and life was more greatly appreciated. I highly recommend it, especially to the traveler who wants to entrench him/herself in the history and aura of the Belle of the South, New Orleans.

Désirée St. Paul
Mandeville, Louisiana

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Calif
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

I stayed at the Degas House for four days, the first Night i proposed to the Love of my Life and she accepted. Our stay was perfect, the staff were extremely friendly and made our stay the finest event ever. I visit New Orleans several times a year and i have recommended The Degas house to all my friends.

i hope to celebrate our aniversary there.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2009

We stay at the Degas House every year for Jazz Fest and visits in-between. The faithful restoration of Degas' former home, along with owner Dave Villarrubia's personal attention to detail, make the Degas House our choice. At the Degas House we enjoy more privacy than a traditional B&B, but with a communal breakfast and beautiful courtyard when we want to socialize. Perfectly situated between the French Quarter and City Park, the B&B is also the site of the Edgar Degas Foundation which is dedicated to preserving the story of the famous painter's accomplishments while living in New Orleans. We won't consider staying anywhere else.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2009

As regular guests in the bed and breakfast at Degas House, we have been delighted to make this our New Orleans home away from home. We travel there regularly on both business and pleasure, and we've watched it grow over the years to become the museum home it has aspired to be, besides being a very warm and accommodating bed and breakfast. The staff often greets us a with a free bottle of champagne and chocolate as a welcome back gift, which sets the tone for our entire stay. The staff always adds a personal touch. Sharon looks after our every need and even calls us for breakfast if we oversleep, because she knows we would never miss her cooking!
The tour of the house is given by Degas' niece, who is usually around during breakfast and always has a tidbit of family history for our enjoyment and amusement. Degas House is a true gem and the staff make it fun and memorable on every occasion.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Dallas/New Orleans
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2009

My husband and I, along with other family members, have enjoyed the warm hospitality of the Degas House both short and long-term since August 2005, and consider it to be home away from home. The entire property including the suite we stay in is steeped in history and antiquity, yet comfortable and inviting. The staff provides an environment that is private, peaceful and serene, yet infused with the energy of New Orleans. The Degas House admirably preserves not only the memory of the renowned artist, Edgar Degas, but also the contributions of a past era – civility and richness of culture – and does so masterfully.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Bellingham, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2009

I stayed at Degas House in May 2008 and June 2009. The house is quiet and the staff are friendly. I usually did not avail myself of the (included) breakfast, which includes muffins, instant oatmeal, instant grits, hard-boiled eggs, coffee and tea; but I did take advantage of the cooked breakfasts on weekends.

I stayed in garret rooms. The only thing lacking are windows. The garrets are the perfect size for a solo traveller or for a couple. The room I stayed in in 2008 would comfortably sleep three. The laundry room is on the same floor as the garrets, so it's very convenient to wash clothes.

In 2008 my mobile phone connection was a bit tentative. This was much improved this trip. Degas House has Wi-Fi Internet, and I was able to use it up on the top floor. The signal could be stronger though, since I had to carefully place my laptop to receive it. My laptop has an internal antenna and a metal case, so others might have no issues. The signal was fine downstairs and outside, and I assume the larger rooms would have better reception.

Degas House is about a mile from the French Quarter. It's an easy 15-minute walk. ANd since it's on Esplanade it's convenient to Checkpoint Charlie's, Port-O-Call, and 13. The Clover Grill, Ralph & Kacoo's, and other places are not far off of Esplanade. During the hot Summer off-season even the short walk to the Quarter can be a little daunting. (Hey, I'm up by the Canadian border. 'Hot' here is in the 80s!) It's about a $5 cab ride from Degas House to the Quarter, and Degas House provides cards for United Cab at the door.

Check-in is easy. I made my reservations over the phone, and my key and house information were waiting for me in a lock-box when I arrived (both times) at midnight. Check-out was easy too. I had to leave before anyone arrived, but that's OK. They had my credit card information already.

In summary: Good off-season rates, comfortable rooms, tasty 'home-cooked' weekend breakfasts, easy walk or cheap cab ride to the Quarter, and friendly staff. I would have liked a stronger Wi-Fi signal. I'll stay there again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Baton Rouge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2009

It is a great place to stay, especially when you know it is where Degas, the famous French artist, lived! The house has been fabulously refurbished and is in a quite historically rich neighborhood. Check it out at www.degashouse.com.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business

Been to The Degas House? Share your experiences!