“Nicest place in that area” 4 of 5 stars

You added Super 8 - New Orleans to your Saves list
Super 8 - New Orleans
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   6322 Chef Menteur Highway, New Orleans, LA 70126   |
Ranked #67 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

What a value for the money! Very nice place. Great staff, our room was fun and we loved the building. Entrance area was confusing, but easy enough once you figured out the "enter here" sign was for a neighboring ethnic market. Laundry on sure for guests as well, added bonus! Great breakfast area.

• Stayed June 2013
Pinellas Park, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

My family and I stayed here for a high school graduation vacation. We decided to make the trip to New Orleans from Tallahassee after visiting the campus orientation. After doing some research on hotels in the area and seeing that the average price in the French Quarter was between $180 and $250 a night and I can get this hotel for $212.74 for the entire trip it seemed like a no-brainer. We arrived around 10:30 PM on Thursday, June 6, 2013. Driving in from off of the interstate the area surrounding this hotel seems a bit sketchy. There is a graffiti laden, abandoned building next-door with industrial looking areas as well. Right off the bat I can tell you that the parking/driveway is a bit confusing coming from the interstate I pulled into the first driveway only to find out later that it was marked as a one way leading out. It’s tight quarters upfront with only about eight parking spaces. The layouts a bit unique because even if you pulled in the second driveway which is the correct driveway for pull in, it’s still a bit tricky to negotiate the turn in front of the lobby in order to check in. The actual parking for the hotel itself is behind the main lobby building and directly below the rooms. The setup is actually more like a motel not a hotel. It’s interesting because you actually pull through the front building in order to get back there. From what I can remember there’s about eight spots per building on each side of the building. I think there are four buildings total. There’s also an additional parking lot in the back. Behind that parking in the back, there is a lot which serves as additional parking, storage for the hotel, and a small barbecue area. It’s pretty close to the interstate and it can be quite loud during daylight hours.

When I went in to check in the desk clerk at the time was named Tony. He was a very pleasant young man. Quite polite and informative this was welcome after my long drive. Check-in was quick and painless. I was informed of the breakfast and given my room key and instructed where I could park. I was able to find a parking space under the building and although we had to use the stairs to go to the third floor for our room there were multiple landings making it not as difficult as it might seem. The hotel is done a great job at keeping the grounds neat. Both the staircases and the balcony banisters are all done in black wrought iron which could use a new paint job but were quite fitting for the area. In the centers of the buildings there are planters with vibrant plants, a small fountain and garbage cans which are handy for cleaning out your vehicle from your trip. This location does have a pool as well which I did look at, but did not use. It is located between the last two buildings and it seemed to be a pretty nice area.

Entering our room I was pleasantly surprised at the cleanliness. There were no foul odors and the temperature was relatively acceptable. I was able to quickly adjust the temperature and took numerous pictures of the room. The layout was a bit interesting as the small refrigerator and microwave are actually situated in the corner, next to the air-conditioning on the front wall, by the door. The vanity area contains an ironing board and iron, eight wooden hangers on a very nice closet bar, and a mini safe on the wall above the vanity counter. My room was two double beds and had clean linens and pillows. The carpet was typical hotel carpet nothing special and contained a few stains but didn’t feel overall like it was too dirty. The darkness factor in this room was quite nice at about a 9 ½ out of 10.

We stayed at this location for the next three nights checking out on Sunday the ninth. The only real negative to this room whatsoever was that there is a slight elevation change when you are standing at the door and you walk to the bathroom area. It downgrades perhaps an inch or so and for me with my acute balance it was a little weird. I got up in the middle of the night to pee a couple of times and almost fell over from the strange inclination. It’s also a little weird when you’re standing in the shower as you feel yourself leaning into the wall. It’s not a deal breaker mind you, but it is a little weird. I’m sure it’s just due to the settling of the building which is probably pretty old. And speaking of the shower, the water pressure is great and we never were out of hot water even with three of us taking showers including my teenage daughter.

My wife checked out the breakfast bar and thought it was fairly decent. She did bring back a couple of pastries for me, which I found to be quite fresh and delicious. We Bottled water in the small refrigerator and it remained cold throughout the visit. After our long day on Friday, we got a late start on Saturday morning, but I had placed the do not disturb sign out. Unfortunately, I left that sign out all day and when we returned from our busy day late Saturday evening it was drizzling a little bit which made it even more irritating that we had to park in the back lot. When we opened our room we quickly discovered that we did not receive any housekeeping no big deal that the beds were made but we needed some fresh towels. My daughter called the front desk and they had the security guard bring us a set of fresh towels. I was quite impressed with that level of service and thankful since it was my mistake leaving the sign out.

Overall, I’d definitely recommend staying at this Super 8 for your vacation to New Orleans. It’s not really a long drive it all to get into the city and although I paid to park on the first day the second and third days I was able to locate free parking just outside of the French market without any trouble. There are a couple of gas stations located real close to the hotel as well for filling up as I left and I found the gas prices to be quite reasonable. The real deal here is the price. A nice clean, dark room and friendly service with an adequate breakfast buffet make this a great value for visiting this area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Super 8 - New Orleans? Share your experiences!