“Little Oasis in the N.O.!!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Crescent Palms Motel

and 1 more site!
You added The Crescent Palms Motel to your Saves list
The Crescent Palms Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   3923 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, New Orleans, LA 70125 (Mid-City)   |
Ranked #99 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
“Little Oasis in the N.O.!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Best hotel I've stayed in in a long time. The area looks bad, but N.O. is still in recovery mode. The hotel looks shady on the outside, but once you go in, Heavens door ooens to you. The staff was awesome! The bar is small but worthy of a visit. The hospitality is freaking AWESOME! We was givin a ride to our sporting events and was treated like royality! No snobby folks working there. Everyone made us feel like home. I will be only using this hotel when I return. Its the hospitality that out does the big chain hotels. LOOKS ARE DECIEVING!!!

• Stayed November 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

We two older travelers were tired rolling into NO and had a hard time finding the place a kindly person in Slidell had looked up for us online, so we asked directions several times. Every time people said "oh, you don't want to stay THERE" -- "it's a bad area" -- "don't go walking after you get there". We found the motel after dark and to my now worried mind, it looked funny that there were NO cars in the courtyard when we had been told we got the last vacant room! Manager Kendo made us feel more comfortable, but then disturbing was the fact that the room above us was clearly occupied. The person walked heavily and restlessly for all the time we were awake. Again, with a worried mind, I thought it manic. Next to our room was a papered-over door declaring "No Minors Allowed" - which might be necessary, but looked unfriendly and definitely left me not wanting to see what was behind it, though we would have enjoyed a drink. (I would suggest a professional sign that says: "Welcome" and a couple of lines below "No Minors"). The room - 110 - declared to be "Deluxe" for Hotels.com with whom I booked -- looked absolutely nothing like the website photo with its green glass sink, shiny bedspreads, window with curtains and greenery beyond. In reality the bathroom appeared unfinished and mix and match, the bedspreads were used up, there was a large-ish tar-like stain on the carpet in the middle of the room, a cigarette burn on the basic furniture...BUT the room and beds were clean enough - I flicked a small bug off the bed - and we decided to just relax into it. The motel had the air of someone trying to get a business started, but not doing a very good job of it. As it was in the Black neighborhood of the Katrina-ravaged city, we decided to see the best in it and went to sleep. The next morning we woke up to a bright, sunshiny day and outside a friendly young man - one of the three partners in the enterprise, he told us - greeted us heartily and asked how we had enjoyed our stay?! I told him that the room looked nothing like the website photo. He chuckled and said: "that web-site is old; we have to update that"!!!. Of course I wish him and his partners the best, but they have to put a little more effort into it. He told us the venerable history of the place which had hosted Martin Luther King, and American music greats who were allowed to perform downtown but not stay downtown. I would say that history deserves a little more respect as far as the motel's appearance is concerned -- it should remain modest, but dignified, with a sixties' style (if those are not contradictions in terms). Knowing the place, as I know it now, I would stay there again much more comfortably. It certainly is affordably priced. A few days ago we saw the movie "The Butler" and recognized the motel as one of the locations (not that it would make a difference in our experience). If the owners would show some more effort, I'd recommend the place for budget-minded and/or history-interested travelers. We are both, and had a great time in NO....and a story to tell back in Portland (which has a similarly discriminatory history and structures/locations which might tell that history have mostly been razed or gentrified).

Room Tip: Just know what to expect.
Bayamon, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

If you looking for a place to sleep while visiting New Orleans, this is it. The motel is very, very clean and the room was big, it even had a closet. If you stay here I recommend a car, but is very close to the french quarter (about 5 minutes). The best part is that you are far from the noisy parts of the city, so you are going to have a good night sleep. All the rooms are no smoking, but they have a terrace where you can grab a beverage and unwind. The rooms have wireless internet and the staff is very friendly.

Room Tip: Try not to get a room beside the terrace if you don't like people walking by your room. We stay...
Redding, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

My husband booked this place because there were so many conventions going on in the city and there wasn't very many options. When we got in our taxi from the airport the taxi driver told us that this was not a good area. As we drove through the area we noticed that the city had been working on the area to clean it up. When we arrived in front of the hotel the taxi driver was so nervous that he drove us inside of the gate to the hotel. There were bars on all the windows and doors of the places across the street, even the church. The manager that checked us in was very nice and tried his best to make me feel comfortable, he even gave us a ride into town. If it was only the area that was a little shady the hotel stay maybe would have been bearable. I say that because the room was disgusting!!! The floor was very stained and smelled like mold, the bathroom was dirty, the floor had mold on it and the shower was brown on the bottom. I luckily was on my way to Cancun so I had flip flops with me; I wore those to shower and walk around in. We were able to find another hotel the second night. We gladly paid the extra money plus that night we had already paid for. My advise is...if this is the only place to stay in New Orleans then don't go. New Orleans is a wonderful place to visit. You don't want a nasty hotel to ruin your trip and trust me it will.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Quite close to the city center by car, the quartier is shady, do not even walk there. The motel is quite good compared to the price, go there if you dont want to spend much money and you have a car. There is a gate that closes at night and make you feel safe inside. The rooms are basic, quite confortable but not good looking.

• Stayed August 2013
Navarre, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We went to NO specifically to see a band at the Rock-N-Bowl, wanted to spend an extra day, but still on a budget. This motel is very clean and the staff super friendly and informative. It's out of the way of the French Quarter, but we found it really easy to get around on public transportation. Bus stop very close to motel and then Canal street streetcar to FQ. We did that the first day, walked all around the FQ, had dinner, drank, listened to music, drank, etc. Buses run late and we made it home easily. Safety-wise, we never really saw anyone around the motel, so never felt unsafe. Some may feel different not having any crowds around.

The next night we took a taxi to Rock-N-Bowl because weren't sure if the buses ran as late in that area. It was about a $15-20 round trip ride in a taxi. Well worth it not to drive.

The motel itself is clean, quiet, rooms were large, bathroom large, fridge and microwave in each room, coffee in the "bar" every morning. For the price and our purpose, we thought this was a great hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I reserved a room at this motel 1) because it was close to where I needed to be 2) the price and 3) the history on the website. To be honest, I expected something just a bit more upscale, but the room was very clean, the bed was comfortable, lots of counter space in the bathroom, even had a refrigerator in the room. I know someone was in the room next to mine, but I couldn't hear a thing. There's a large gate that closes in the parking area at 10 PM, which gives a nice sense of security, and the woman who was working in the office was very pleasant. I wouldn't hesitate to stay her on every trip.

Room Tip: All rooms seemed pretty equal.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Crescent Palms Motel? Share your experiences!