“The Best Place To Stay In New Orleans” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Crescent Palms Motel

Save Saved
You added The Crescent Palms Motel to your Saves list
The Crescent Palms Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   3923 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, New Orleans, LA 70125 (Mid-City)   |
Ranked #84 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“The Best Place To Stay In New Orleans”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

I live in Colorado and my best friend lives in Florida. I met him in Pensacola Fl and we decided to go over to New Orleans for a night. We forgot that the final four was going on. I looked on all the travel sites to find a hotel and I found The Crescent Palms Motel. I called a cab and it was taking forever to get there so the motel staff ask were we going and we told him to the French Quarter. So he locked up the office and gave us a ride over.The staff went above and beyond. We have stayed at three of the higher end hotels in the French Quarter and didn't get the service that we did at The Crescent Palms Motel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

Hands down, the best value I found during this Mardi Gras season. I couldn't abide by spending $200+ a night in the French Quarter and looked for a better value. I was pleasantly surprised by the Crescent Palms Motel. It is about 3 miles from the heart of the French Quarter. It is located at the end of MLK and I felt very safe in the surrounding area. I did not notice any foot-traffic or loitering on or around site. Off-street parking is available inside the courtyard of the motel. The on-site manager was genuinely nice and courteous, and when there were no cabs available just before a big parade, he took us to our destination along the parade route. Also, the motel is located along RTA bus route 28 which runs right to the corner of Canal St and S. Rampart, and at $1.25 per rider, that can't be beat. Cab fare was about $10-$12 fron the Quarter to the motel.

The rooms were very large and the full size beds were comfortable. The mini-fridge was a nice addition, large enough to keep our sandwiches and beverages cold. The bathroom was cute, renovated in a retro style and reminded me of the Art Deco district of Miami Beach.

I would gladly recommend this motel to anyone looking for a clean, safe, and economical stay in New Orleans!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012 via mobile

Previous reviews no doubt scare off the prospective guest but I have been travelling this country for 2.5 months now & to be honest, I felt more unsafe in Venice, LA than here. I walked in the dodgy areas - a woman, alone. I had the door opened for me as I entered the gas station nearby and was addressed as ma'am by everyone who said hello - I have experienced courtesy in the New York, Washington & Philidelphia. In terms of safety - the hotel is a gated community at night, lock your door & car & be safety conscious.

The hotel is brand new after Hurricane Katrina, the room is large, has a fridge & tv, bed is comfy, wifi signal is strong, appliances are quiet, noise could be heard in room.

Criticisms: No tourist information is available. Reception is often unmanned. Selected non smoking room however by morning, the room was filled with smoky scent - I assume our neighbors were smokers & it travelled through the vents.

• Stayed February 2012
Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

Stayed three nights during over BCS game, the motel was very clean, the location was good, within walking distance to the Superdome. When me and my buddies wanted to go to the French Quarter and couldn't get a cab the motel staff brought us to the French Quarter which was very nice of them. The staff went above and beyond and for the price we made during that special event ($89) it was a deal for the value.

I would stay again, if you're looking for a clean, friendly and safe motel at a reasonable rate Crescent Palms Motel is your motel in new orleans.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are spaceous and have minifridges to keep your beverages cool.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

As soon as we drove up we were scarred to get out of our car. We walking in to a room smelling of smoke and a transvestite/prostitute hanging around in the lobby. When we asked about our reservations they could not locate them. We saw that as a sign from God and left immediately. I smelled of smoke the rest of the day after only being in the lobby for a few minutes. Then came to realize I was charged for 2 nights on my card. Spent the morning trying to clear the whole mix up.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2011

The Crescent Palms is an excellent option if you're looking to save $. The price was less than half of other places located at similar distances from the CBD. The room (two queens) was a good size, had a nice flat screen television, free WIRELESS internet, decent sized bathroom, a barfridge, functioning although very noisy air conditioning, and great water pressure. The room was clean, and kept clean throughout our stay by daily cleanings. We always had plenty of towels etc. and the beds were always made up. The room had been redone recently - the ceilings and walls were new, but the carpet, although clean, was old and fully of cigarette burn marks.

Our hosts were very friendly. We arrived at midnight and the night manager showed up only a couple minutes later to let us in as promised. On our first morning the owners gave us a lift to St. Charles street to a restaurant they recommended for breakfast . A few days later the night manager gave us a lift to a restaurant we wanted to try out for dinner. Other than that we took taxis to and from St. Charles, then walked into the CBD. The taxi's averaged about $8.50 each time, which included an extra $1 for having 2 people in the cab. Once we took a taxi all the way downtown to the Sheraton on Canal, which cost less than $15.

The downside to this hotel is that it's in an area where it's not safe to walk around at night. In fact some of the taxi drivers said they wouldn't even walk around in the day time, although the two of us (two women) did walk all the way into the CBD from the hotel one day, with no troubles. It's in the middle of the projects, most of which were destroyed by the floods. They've rebuilt a few, which look quite nice, and more are being built right now. There's also a lot of very run down houses, many boarded up, and a bunch of small churches.

The hotel is gated, but when the gates are open during the daytime, there are always a bunch of men hanging around the entrance, often with alcohol (e.g., bottle of whiskey in a paper bag). They never bothered us but it did make us uncomfortable having to walk by them to get to our room. We would have felt more comfortable if the front office was manned at all times, but 9 times out of 10 it was empty. We always felt safe in our room, and never had any safety issues.

Room Tip: Rm #111 had a view of a brick wall, but was quiet.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Truckee, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Crescent Palms on our first visit to New Orleans. We arrived late at night and, at first, I was a bit concerned about the surrounding neighborhood. Not necessarily because of personal safety, but because I was moving across country and my car was packed to the brim with all my important belongings,as well as two cruiser bikes attached to the back and a thule on top! (We were concerned about safely parking the car the entire trip) Upon arrival these worries were soothed as the motel offers gated parking that are locked every night at 10pm. We were greeted by the night manager Kendal, he was super cheery, checked us in quickly and showed us to our room. He explained the t.v. had died earlier that day and he had just brought in a brand new flat screen. This quick response to a minor problem is a sign of a well run establishment!

The rooms were spacious and impeccable. The pink retro tile in the huge bathrooms was adorable. The furnishings were simple yet comfortable and clean. The decor in the office and bar were fabulously mid-century modern that matched the exterior of the hotel. So cute! The bar was tiny and smoky, but filled with interesting characters. It made for a relaxed and entertaining evening.

The next day the vivacious female day manager, (I forget her name) explained the best routes to get around the city on our bikes. She gave great advice. We explored the french quarter, garden district and everywhere in between. The neighborhood around the motel looked much nicer in the daytime (old folks sitting on the porch waving to us as we pedaled by). We arrived back to the motel in time to sit on the car-port roof sip some beers and watching the sun go down over NOLA.

I loved my stay at the Crescent Palms Motel, and felt great about supporting a local business revitalized after Katrina. You can read more about the history of the Motel on their website, or just ask! The location was a terrific taste of life in residential New Orleans away from the drunken tourist trap that is the french quarter. Overall our stay was refreshing thanks to the great staff!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Crescent Palms Motel? Share your experiences!