“Awesome B&B Experience in New Orleans” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Southern Comfort Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Southern Comfort Bed and Breakfast
You added Southern Comfort Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
1739 Marengo Street, New Orleans, LA 70115   |
Ranked #12 of 145 New Orleans B&B and Inns
St Louis
“Awesome B&B Experience in New Orleans”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

The Southern Comfort B&B is a magnificent old home about two blocks off of St Charles Avenue and the Streetcar line in New Orleans. I'm something of an architecture buff, so I really appreciated the classic lines, hardwood floors, center hall and the deep-coved plaster ceilings of this grand cottage. We stayed in the Plantation Room, which includes its own private boudoir and bathroom, and was delighted with the comfortable furnishings.

The owner, Cindee, is both graceful and charming and very knowledgeable of the city. She made several great restaurant recommendations. Granted, that may not be the hardest thing to do in New Orleans, but she steered us clear of those popular tourist places to those little places that only the locals seem to know. As it turns out, she is also something of a chef as our breakfast the next morning included fresh fruit, pecan waffles with cane syrup (a new favorite!) and nut-crusted bacon.

This New Orleans experience is one not to be missed. You can easily spend more on accommodations in this city, but I doubt that you will find a more pleasant place to spend the night. I give the Southern Comfort B&B a definite thumbs (and fingers and toes) up! We would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

Total Quality, that's how I would describe my visit to Southern Comfort. Cindee is so welcoming, has great suggestions on what to do and where to eat and cooks amazing breakfasts. Location is good, with easy parking. Rooms are large, with quality sheets and comfortable beds. My first time to NOLA, but would recommend this B & B to all my friends.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

My husband and I stayed here during our quick weekend getaway for the Essence Festival... and we cannot imagine having a better trip! This was our first trip to NOLA and our first time staying in a B&B. We were not really sure what to expect. Well, as soon as we checked in, Cindee sat down with us and not only told us where to go based on our personal interests, but took out a map and told us the best walking routes and parking options. Talk about a time saver! Plus, her suggestions did not disappoint. The room was impeccable, the location was just right (on the St. Charles streetcar line), and the meals were delicious. The manager is the epitome of "southern comfort" and hospitality. The other house guests added to our enjoyable experience as well. We've already decided that this will be the place we stay whenever we return to New Orleans.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

This is a beautiful B&B in the heart of the Garden District, a really peaceful oasis to come "home" to after the craziness of the French Quarter. With only three rooms, each with en suite bath, our hostess, Cindee, has time to help out with must-see places & must-go eateries. Without her direction we'd have been wandering aimlessly and missing some great places. We took Cajun Jitterbug lessons, danced to a live Zydeco band, gorged ourself on amazingly prepared food and just generally had fun. This was our first trip to NOLA and only went because a friend from Coventry, England had read about the "running of the bulls" on the internet & wanted to participate during his 3-week visit to us in Arkansas. The quality touches in Cindee's beautiful home are evident everywhere from the freshly prepared foods at breakfast to the luxurious sheets to the thickest, softest of toilet paper! I spent a quiet few hours reading & napping on the porch swing in preparation for a late night on Bourbon Street, then slept like a baby on a quality, firm mattress. What can I say...this is a 5+ star B&B for a 3-star price.
Keith & Mary Ann from Bull Shoals, Arkansas

Room Tip: No need to bring hair dryer, bath gel, shampoo, rinse or lotion. It's all top quality
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

I stayed in the Horizon room during the July 4th weekend at Southern Comfort and it was truly lovely. Nice size room and bathroom. Exactly as pictured. I woke up each morning no matter what I came in to Cindee making breakfast each morning. It was like staying with family. I felt truly taken cared of and I so enjoyed Cindee's hospitality. Sunday morning, all of the guests were at the table finishing up breakfast and we were all sharing stories about our childhood and travels with with the family when were young. You just don't have that type of experience staying at a hotel. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Acton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

We loved this B&B! The owner was wonderful in helping us plan our activities and giving us lots of helpful advice and the breakfasts were delicious. Room was comfortable and the garden is lovely. We highly recommend this place for your stay in New Orleans.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

My six girlfriends and I just returned from our 3-night stay at the Southern Comfort B&B, and absolutely LOVED it! The home is beautiful and spacious, with a pleasant front sitting room and porch to lounge around in. It's located just a couple of blocks from the trolley line that takes you right to the French Quarter and other sights.

The really exceptional aspect of this B&B, though, is the incredible hostess, Cindee. She is a fantastic cook (DELICIOUS breakfasts), but more importantly, is so accomodating, adjusting breakfast time every day based on our preference. (We did constitute the entirety of the B&B while we were there, though, so I don't know if this would be true if there had been other guests.) She has great suggestions about what to do, what to see, and what to eat.

I would highly recommend this to anyone who wants a quieter, comfy place away from the hustle and bustle and party crowd of the French Quarter!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Southern Comfort Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!