“Karen is the Best!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dauphine House Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Dauphine House Bed and Breakfast
You added Dauphine House Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
1830 Dauphine Street, New Orleans, LA 70116 (Bywater)   |
Ranked #26 of 145 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Easton, Pennsylvania
“Karen is the Best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

We have been to New Orleans many time and three of them have been spent at the Dauphine House with Karen and LOVED it and her. She is also a tour guide for the more legitimate "ghost" tours. The rooms - 3 in total and have stayed in 2, are extremely comfortable and well appointed. Karen knows everything and possibly everybody, and can help you with anything you need. There are not enough good things to say about her and this place! Her restaurant recommendations are spot on- La Peniche is a local gem too! We were not as happy the one time her place was booked

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Lincoln, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

I'm happy to add my kudos to everyone else's. My clean and pretty room in this house in the Marigny was just right for my 8-night stay, and filled with everything a guest could want. Karen stopped in each day to tidy up and bring more towels and an abundance of breakfast items -- bananas, muffins, danishes, orange juice, etc.
In other words, this is a B&B where the breakfast comes to YOU -- no need to be dressed & at breakfast at a certain time, meeting strangers, when you'd rather sleep late, dive into breakfast when you want it, and enjoy some other sweet treats later in the day or evening.

The location is just 3-4 blocks from both the (edge of) the French Quarter and the great music along Frenchmen Street, and the neighborhood has a safe, "East Village" vibe, with small, independently owned shops and restaurants. Lots of iconic shotgun houses and creole cottages sporting brightly painted trim.

Karen suggested that since I was a woman traveling alone that at night, instead of walking home from the Quarter, I should get a cab or one of the inexpensive pedi-cabs (usually parked and waiting in front of Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop/Bar). However, a pedi-cab was never there when I needed it, so I took a cab one night and just walked quickly back the other nights.

Karen is extremely nice, fun, and the perfect hostess. When you need her, she's there; when you don't, she's not intrusive. She knows the city very well, and has excellent suggestions for nearby restaurants and things to do. I can't promise that you will be as fortunate, but when my plane was arriving, she was planning to be shopping in that area, so she picked me up & took me straight to the Dauphine. It was a quick, fun, door-to-door trip that saved me $30!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Muldrow, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

My second time to NOLA and roomie and I almost stayed at an awful place, but thankfully we found the Dauphine House. We absolutely loved our stay at this B&B, and our host, Karen, made it even more awesome. We're definitely coming back to this place.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

My sister and I stumbled upon Dauphine House by accident and we couldn't have been more pleased!! We had previously scheduled a vacay to Estes Park but due to the flooding that occured there we were forced to replan our vacay destination. In looking for a B&B to stay I stumbled upon Dauphine House on the internet and it looked like a interesting place....very New Orleans!! Karen (the home owner) is a very interesting and informative person who provided us with all the tips and direction we needed...she even told us we could text her if we needed anything. We love New Orleans and are next trip there will include staying at the Dauphine House!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Appleton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We had an excellent stay here on our second honeymoon to New Orleans! Our room was very comfortable and the service was top notch. Karen even gave us a bottle of champagne when she learned it was our 2nd honeymoon! We would for sure stay here again.

Room Tip: There is a daily basket provided along with juice and yogurt with bananas. There is no hot breakfas...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
New Norfolk, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Our wonderful Dauphine House experience began even before we left Australia. Karen contacted me via email and couldn't have been more lovely. She also had some helpful tips regarding how much a cab from the airport should cost. When we arrived after our very long flight, Karen greeted us like long lost friends.
One big tip - place close attention to the information Karen gives you when you arrive, her recommendations are invaluable. If there is anything you want/need to know about New Orleans, her knowledge of the city is remarkable. Nothing is ever too much trouble for Karen (she even lent us a cell phone to take out with us to use for local calls, or if we needed to get in touch with her).
We stayed in the purple room for 6 nights. As others have posted everything was spotlessly clean, and the breakfast basket and fridge were replenished daily. I was travelling with a friend, so Karen had a single bed set up in the room in addition to the existing queen bed. We were both very pleasantly surprised at how comfortable the mattresses were. I have a very bad back, and I slept like a baby every night.
The location is fantastic, we walked everywhere. You are literally just around the corner from Bourbon Street, and 2 blocks away from Frenchman Street. I can honestly say I was never worried about our safety. We were sensible and always got a cab back after 10 o'clock at night (it's around $10 including tip from the French Quarter).
Another couple of tips - The Port of Call Restaurant is literally 2 mins walk away (on Esplanade Ave), their steaks and burgers are excellent! We dined there on our first night (on Karen's recommendation), and ended up going again another night because we enjoyed it so much.
Esplanade Mini Mart - also just at the end of the street (cnr Dauphine and Esplanade), great for any essentials you may have forgotten. They also have an ATM, which can really come in handy. It's clean and the staff were very friendly.
I would not hesitate to stay at Dauphine House again, in fact I wouldn't even look elsewhere. I have stayed in many hotels and B & B's around the world, but none of them come close to the experience that Karen offers. From booking to check out every aspect of our holiday was perfect.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

There is probably no better place to stay in New Orleans than Dauphine House! The location is perfect: in any moment I felt I was in danger, it was very close to nice and cheap places to eat, drink, listen to music or just walk and everything was in a walk distance. Besides the location, Karen takes care of every detail to make everything perfect and is always concerned if everything is ok. When me and my boyfriend was planning the trip, I was worried about the cleanliness of the place where we would stay and we had absolutely no problem with that. In my opinion, big chains of hotels are depersonalized and they really don't care about you and your well being. You're just one more. At Dauphine House, Karen's was the whole time very attentive and gave us valuable tips to enjoy the city.

Room Tip: My tip is about the map she gives in the first day: it has great and affordable places to go and vis...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Dauphine House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!