“Good value, great room, poor location, lack of facilities” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Inn

You added Clarion Inn to your Saves list
Clarion Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   10100 I-10 Service Road, New Orleans, LA 70127 (Formerly Avalon Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #123 of 156 Hotels in New Orleans
Arlington TX
“Good value, great room, poor location, lack of facilities”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Booked this hotel when most of the greater NOLA area was booked. Great rate of $100 a night. Room itself was clean, spacious and stocked. Seventh floor but views outside of hotel are limited to one tiny, smudgy window per room. Coin laundry and fitness facilities on our floor. Housekeeping staff doesn't speak English but, for me, not a problem since I'm from TX and speak Spanish. Hotel does NOT have a restaurant on site, despite what the sign outside and the online description says. Weren't told that until we checked in at the counter. Morning breakfast was a 2 out of 5. Nothing special although coffee was excellent. Location is oddly placed from hwy but, fortunately, the access road is two-way. NOTHING...absolutely nothing is around to eat. Two unhealthy fast food restaurants in the area. Must go 10 miles or so either way down the hwy to find food...which is whatcha came to NOLA for, right?? Area was one that was hit hard by Katrina and it is still recovering but on the whole is a great bargain, safe and clean.

Room Tip: 7th floor is most convenient for amenities.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

A decent clean enough room; the breakfast only runs till 9am so make sure you set your alarm. Location wise it's on the highway and just 10-15 mins into town by car. Not exactly central but it's a decent price.

Room Tip: As usual Haggle for best room price.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Winchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Reasonably comfortable hotel and very helpful staff at reception but location a 20 min ride from city centre and very expensive using taxis all the time! Nowhere to eat within walking distance and the hotel did not have a restaurant only provided a poor continental breakfasts
No business centre in use so we could not use the computers(poor for a business hotel!) apparently still recovering from Katrina.
A travel agent booked this for us but we should have made the booking ourselves and we would have been aware of the downsides.
Would stress that a car is essential if you stay here and therefore it is not suitable for those in transit for cruises etc. or wanting a short break in New Orleans.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Memphis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Overall stay was rather pleasant. The room was clean but bathroom was slightly on the small side but the standard travel size toiletries were available. Maid service was daily and continental breakfast was decent with waffles, breads, bagels, cereals,etc. Beds were not the most comfortable but okay for a few days. Rooms did have a refrigerator and a microwave which allowed much flexibility with food. Some drawbacks but not really serious issues were that the ice machines were on floors 3 and I believe 7 - not the most convenient situation but not a deal breaker. Wi Fi was spotty -sometimes it worked, sometimes not, in fact, my last day there, it did not. So for someone relying heavily on Wi Fi for work - not a good choice. Pool looked well kept and clean. Of note or some things to consider before selecting this location, it is located in east New Orleans - this area was heavily affected by the 2005 flooding. There are restaurants and businesses in the vicinity of the hotel and a Walgreens about a mile from the hotel, but other than that, not much else, i.e., hospitals, shopping centers, etc. They are still in the process of rebuilding. It is not a bad drive to downtown or even Metairie but these drives may be problematic at rush hour. In fact, if most your time is spent downtown, Westbank - you may want to select somethng a little closer. Because the locale is a pretty good distance from downtown, you can find really great rates - around $100 or less a night. If you have a car, not a bad choice as you will need it to get everywhere. I would stay again if I had to although this is not my first choice for NOLA.

Room Tip: If driving to New Orleans from the East, it may be helpful to stop in Slidell for shopping, getting...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Paducah, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Right off I-10. We were pleasantly surprised. Nice, clean room with microwave. Comfortable mattress. Continental breakfast was very good and included waffles and boiled eggs. Plenty of room to sit in the dining area. Several fast food restaurants nearby. Overall, great deal!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Angleton, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Staff was very helpful showing us about how to get to the French Quarter and gave us a map to figure out our way around it, room was comfortable and bed didn't give wife a back ache, some distance away from the French Quarter, but you get what you pay for...

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

My friends and I traveled to New Orleans for their mother's funeral. Several hotels were contacted across the city and most were booked full or the places with vacancy were not in the best areas or did not have power. Every hotel we contacted had raised prices since the hurricane. We made reservations at the Best Western, Avalon on Sept. 9 for Sept. 12-14. When we contacted the hotel, my friend asked on more than one occasion if the hotel had any damage from Hurricane Isaac. We were told that everything was fine. We arrived late the evening of Sept. 12. We stopped by the hotel to pick up the keys to our rooms around 7 pm. We paid cash for the 3 nights. Our plan was to get the keys and continue on to the West Bank to see my friends' family. We would return later that night to sleep. The first thing I noticed was that the front sliding doors were not working. The clerk at the front desk was nice and friendly. The keys were handed to us. We left and returned tired and sleepy later that night. I noticed a sign as I entered the lobby that stated that dehumidifiers had been placed in the rooms. My friend questioned the clerk. She stated that there was a problem on the 8th floor. Our rooms were on the 3rd floor. We couldn't understand why there would be dehumidifiers in all rooms if the damage was confined to the 8th floor. My friend told the clerk that she asked more than once if this hotel had any problems and was told everything was okay. We proceeded to the 3rd floor. I opened the door of my room to a horrible, damp odor. There was a dehumidifier the size of a washer blocking the path to the bed. The hose from the dehumidifier was dumping water in the tub. There must have been a leak in the hose because there was water on the floor near the tub. I was totally disgusted. The thing was so loud that it was impossible to sleep with it on. Before I turned in , I decided to visit the vending area to purchase water and a snack. As I stood staring at the vending machine, I felt water dripping on my head. I moved away and stared up to see missing ceiling tiles. There was nothing in place to catch the water. I went back to my room and climbed into bed. The bed was comfortable but the comforter had a musky odor that made me nauseous. I was so tired that I prayed for sleep. Arose the next morning to head downstairs for the continental breakfast. The breakfast was scheduled for 6 am to 9 am. My friends and I arrived downstairs to the breakfast area at 8:20. As we walked to the area, we noticed that the restaurant was taped off and closed. Also, there was a huge plastic type pump extending from one end of the hallway to the exit end. It appeared to have been pumping out water. (This hotel was in bad shape!) We arrived at the area for the breakfast only to find that most of the food was gone and had not been replenished. We arrived at 8:30. By this time we were totally disappointed and disgusted with this hotel. This was a sad and stressful occasion for us and the conditions at this hotel made it worse. My friend contacted the Sheraton in Metairie. (At the time of our booking, the Sheraton did not have power and could not say when the power would come back on). We were happy to hear that the power was back on and that the hotel had vacancies. We booked rooms for the next 2 nights. We spoke to the asst. mgr. that was on duty at the Best Western. She refunded our payment for the two nights but told us that she could not do so for the night we stayed in the hotel. She told us to call back and speak to the General Manager. My friend contacted the General Manager later that day. He told us that he would refund $50.00. (we paid over a $100.00 per night including tax) We immediately checked out and drove to the Sheraton. I paid less for a room at this hotel and it was 100 times better than the room at the Best Western Avalon. We did return to pick up the $50.00. We were told that they didn't find out they had all the problems until Sept. 10. I thought that was interesting because Isaac came through more than 2 weeks earlier and we made our reservations on Sept. 9. The bright spot in our stay was the staff. Although they couldn't do much to help us, they were patient and friendly. I do believe that a room in this hotel is not worth $100.00 per night. One more thing, the televisions are old. Don't expect flat screens.

I can't recommend this hotel. I complained to the corporate office. This hotel is a franchise, so there wasn't much the corporate office could do. The customer service rep. was very understanding. She stated that she would send me a voucher for $50.00 for a stay at any Best Western Hotel. I can assure you that it won't be the Avalon.

(I did receive an apologetic email from the General Manager. I also received a voicemail from someone that stated they would call me back. As of today, I have not received a followup call.)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends