“Great Staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Inn

Save Saved
You added Clarion Inn to your Saves list
Clarion Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   10100 I-10 Service Road, New Orleans, LA 70127 (Formerly Avalon Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #121 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Angleton, Texas, United States
“Great Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Staff was very helpful showing us about how to get to the French Quarter and gave us a map to figure out our way around it, room was comfortable and bed didn't give wife a back ache, some distance away from the French Quarter, but you get what you pay for...

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

92 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

My friends and I traveled to New Orleans for their mother's funeral. Several hotels were contacted across the city and most were booked full or the places with vacancy were not in the best areas or did not have power. Every hotel we contacted had raised prices since the hurricane. We made reservations at the Best Western, Avalon on Sept. 9 for Sept. 12-14. When we contacted the hotel, my friend asked on more than one occasion if the hotel had any damage from Hurricane Isaac. We were told that everything was fine. We arrived late the evening of Sept. 12. We stopped by the hotel to pick up the keys to our rooms around 7 pm. We paid cash for the 3 nights. Our plan was to get the keys and continue on to the West Bank to see my friends' family. We would return later that night to sleep. The first thing I noticed was that the front sliding doors were not working. The clerk at the front desk was nice and friendly. The keys were handed to us. We left and returned tired and sleepy later that night. I noticed a sign as I entered the lobby that stated that dehumidifiers had been placed in the rooms. My friend questioned the clerk. She stated that there was a problem on the 8th floor. Our rooms were on the 3rd floor. We couldn't understand why there would be dehumidifiers in all rooms if the damage was confined to the 8th floor. My friend told the clerk that she asked more than once if this hotel had any problems and was told everything was okay. We proceeded to the 3rd floor. I opened the door of my room to a horrible, damp odor. There was a dehumidifier the size of a washer blocking the path to the bed. The hose from the dehumidifier was dumping water in the tub. There must have been a leak in the hose because there was water on the floor near the tub. I was totally disgusted. The thing was so loud that it was impossible to sleep with it on. Before I turned in , I decided to visit the vending area to purchase water and a snack. As I stood staring at the vending machine, I felt water dripping on my head. I moved away and stared up to see missing ceiling tiles. There was nothing in place to catch the water. I went back to my room and climbed into bed. The bed was comfortable but the comforter had a musky odor that made me nauseous. I was so tired that I prayed for sleep. Arose the next morning to head downstairs for the continental breakfast. The breakfast was scheduled for 6 am to 9 am. My friends and I arrived downstairs to the breakfast area at 8:20. As we walked to the area, we noticed that the restaurant was taped off and closed. Also, there was a huge plastic type pump extending from one end of the hallway to the exit end. It appeared to have been pumping out water. (This hotel was in bad shape!) We arrived at the area for the breakfast only to find that most of the food was gone and had not been replenished. We arrived at 8:30. By this time we were totally disappointed and disgusted with this hotel. This was a sad and stressful occasion for us and the conditions at this hotel made it worse. My friend contacted the Sheraton in Metairie. (At the time of our booking, the Sheraton did not have power and could not say when the power would come back on). We were happy to hear that the power was back on and that the hotel had vacancies. We booked rooms for the next 2 nights. We spoke to the asst. mgr. that was on duty at the Best Western. She refunded our payment for the two nights but told us that she could not do so for the night we stayed in the hotel. She told us to call back and speak to the General Manager. My friend contacted the General Manager later that day. He told us that he would refund $50.00. (we paid over a $100.00 per night including tax) We immediately checked out and drove to the Sheraton. I paid less for a room at this hotel and it was 100 times better than the room at the Best Western Avalon. We did return to pick up the $50.00. We were told that they didn't find out they had all the problems until Sept. 10. I thought that was interesting because Isaac came through more than 2 weeks earlier and we made our reservations on Sept. 9. The bright spot in our stay was the staff. Although they couldn't do much to help us, they were patient and friendly. I do believe that a room in this hotel is not worth $100.00 per night. One more thing, the televisions are old. Don't expect flat screens.

I can't recommend this hotel. I complained to the corporate office. This hotel is a franchise, so there wasn't much the corporate office could do. The customer service rep. was very understanding. She stated that she would send me a voucher for $50.00 for a stay at any Best Western Hotel. I can assure you that it won't be the Avalon.

(I did receive an apologetic email from the General Manager. I also received a voicemail from someone that stated they would call me back. As of today, I have not received a followup call.)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Cullman, Alabama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

The staff was friendly but that's the only positive thing I can say about this place. The hotel smelled musty, the room has peeling paint and the carpets are dirty. We bought a car freshener and put it on the AC to cover up the smell. We had no choice but to stay here, my husband's company put us up here. If we had been paying, we would have asked to see the rooms first and chose somewhere else.

Room Tip: Check out the rooms before deciding to stay here
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Zagreb, Croatia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

This hotel is located very far from the city, if you don’t have a car don’t stay there. Parking is free. Rooms are small, not very well air conditioned. Everything about this hotel is average.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Düsseldorf
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

We stayed with my husband and my 8 years old son in the hotel in April 2012 for four nights. We have chosen this hotel because or it’s nice description in the internet and more or less good reviews. Actually, I haven’t expected that is was so far from the center of the city. We had rent a car and it took us about half an hour till French quarter.
The hotel is an old one and it’s 2* and this is it. The room was rather big and looked nice (I had a feeling of “southern touch”, although probably I don’t know exactly what is it). The TV-set was pretty old one, no safe. The bath was clean and we didn’t have all that “terrible” smell which was described by the other travellers. The hotel has even a very small pool, but we didn’t swim in it since I saw a pair of duck enjoying their time in it…
The parking was free of charge, very-very modest breakfast included into the hotel price. The personnel were extremely friendly and helpful. For example, in the restaurant we have ordered black tea one evening and although it was not in the menu, they have brought it for us free of charge! We haven’t eaten in the hotel restaurant, but the food looked nice. We tried cheesecake and pecan pie- they were very tasty and cost only 4$. Those cheesecakes from the Cheese Cake bistro in Garden District were much worser and too sweet and cost 10$.
In the city you have to look for a parking very carefully- they are all so expensive on the Mississippi river. But two-three block far from French quarter you could find one for 7-11$ per 10 hours. Anyhow, the district seems not very save…

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Windham, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

I booked a week's stay at the Avalon to coincide with the first weekend of Jazz Fest 2012. As many of the other reviews tell you, this hotel is out of the way, "out in the east" off Interstate 10. There were few choices as I reserved in March and anything closer to downtown or the French Quarter was booked up or prohibitively expensive. For Jazz Fest, book in January they tell me and your options are many.

From the Avalon it's a $30 round trip cab ride to the French Quarter and a $100 round trip cab ride to the N.O. Int'l Airport. If you're part of a tour group or in town for a convention and have arranged your own group transportation, booking the Avalon may save you a few dollars. Otherwise, for a single person like me meeting friends daily either at Jazz Fest or in the Quarter, getting around basically ate up whatever money I had saved staying there. And forget about renting a car; parking is slim to none downtown and in the French Quarter and quite expensive.

The major factor in my booking the Avalon was that I was told the hotel offered a shuttle to and from Jazz Fest and even to and from the Quarter (for $20 round trip or $27 to Jazz Fest, to French Quarter and back to the hotel). This shuttle ONLY ran for the three days of Jazz Fest (Fri, Sat & Sun) so I was forced to take a cab for the days before and after Jazz Fest when I wanted to go and explore downtown or meet my friends for dinner, etc in the French Quarter.

NOTE ABOUT THIS SHUTTLE....the pickup and dropoff point in the Quarter was at THE CHEVRON GAS STATION on Basin Street, four blocks from Bourbon Street and eight blocks from Jackson Brewery, Cafe du Monde and the heart of the Quarter. The prospect of walking all the way back across the Quarter back to a gas station to await pickup is not convenient and I wouldn't call it safe either.

Part of the reason for this arrangement is that this shuttle service is privately owned, with a limited number of vans and drivers, serving about five hotels around the city. Call for pickup and you wait, sometimes up to an hour or more. Despite the inconvenience, the drivers were very friendly and informative. One driver even offered up a cool tip on grabbing some of the best home cooked soul food in New Orleans right outside Jazz Fest (at "Momma's House" - thanks Marlin!). For $8 I got a loaded take out container and never ate better.

A note about the hotel. Built in 1972, it looks and feels every bit its age. That is to say it's clean and functional, but lacks modern amenities,especially in-room internet access (there is a business center on the 7th floor with two PCs and on-again, off again connectivity and the printer does not work), My king bed was VERY comfortable, a saving grace.

In the shower it was impossible to get a constant temperature. It was like chasing your tail trying to get the temp *just* right, only to step in and moments later get practically scalded or cold-showered. It reminded me of how my mom used to make me and my brothers take shorter showers as kids by yelling "time's up" before turning on the hot water in the kitchen, giving us the the cold boot. But I digress.

I complained to hotel personnel and they suggested I shower earlier or later. Obviously a problem throughout the hotel. I can't imagine how the retirees who just rolled in off the tour bus were going to feel tomorrow morning.

I'll be back to New Orleans next year, hopefully for both weekends of Jazz Fest. There are so many other things left to do! The Avalon is an experience I will not repeat, however.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

We stayed at this hotel during the Final 4 Tournament. It was affordable but out of the way. Taxi prices are a fortune in New Orleans. It cost us $60 for 3 of us from the airport. Taxi drivers kept asking us why we stayed on the East side. We stayed on the 5th floor which was ok, but I think a 3 star rating was too high for this hotel, it was a 2 star at best. Our friends stayed on the 7th floor and I do agree the smell was horrible. My friend had a horrible headache from it.

Room Tip: I would recommend staying on floors 1-5, 7 and 8 are terrible.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to Clarion Inn? Share your experiences!