“Nice place to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Inn

Save Saved
You added Clarion Inn to your Saves list
Clarion Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   10100 I-10 Service Road, New Orleans, LA 70127 (Formerly Avalon Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #123 of 153 Hotels in New Orleans
Big Rapids, Michigan
“Nice place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

Hotel staff very helpful. WI-FI wasn't the best but with a ethernet cable supplied by the hotel, it worked ok. Mattress was a little old as we kept rolling towards the middle of the bed. Rooms clean and only 7 miles from downtown/French Quarter of New Orleans. We would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Houston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

I stayed here out of necessity. I decided to drive to New Orleans spur of the moment from Houston. I started looking for a room just past Lafayette. I was willing to stay in Baton Rouge but there was not a single room available in that city due to a Bowling tournament. S.O.L. I looked in Gonzales and La Place no luck there either some sort of sporting event taking placein this area too. I could not belive it I was truly surprised that not a single hotel had availablity. I looked in Metarie and nothing was available either. Everything in New Orleans was booked solid as there was a big Basketball game and the town was packed. I litterally spent 4 hours calling hotels and finally got a room at this little hotel a few miles north east of downtown. I think it was overpriced I paid about 150.00 taxes included. It should have been priced in the 70 to 80 dollar range, but it sure beat sleeping in the car. It was just an all around average hotel. Nothing special here!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

Honestly this place is a little crapped out, and our entire floor smelled of marijuana (maybe that was a product of Mardi Gars), and the towels might have been the least absorbent towels I have ever used, but it was good enough for us. All we used it for was sleeping and showering before going out for the entire day, so I'm not sure how it might have differed had we been in it more. I will say that front desk was nothing but friendly and helpful to me and, if I were unable to get a room closer to the French Quarter again, I would certainly be willing to stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

This was a mixed bag. The location is 15 min from the French Quarter. First room"s bath smelled like a sewer. Was told they had only 1 other room, but the parking lot was deserted. Changed rooms and found the 2nd room to be OK. It was clean and quite. The coffee shop is to be avoided. It has just changed management/ownership? and was deserted, but the service was very slow and it was expensive for what it served. Certainly not up to New Orleans standards for quality. Also got the sewer smell a couple of times in the lobby and even out front. I understand this area was flooded with Katrina. This hotel was repaired, but many structures sit in ruins. If you go here, don't plan to eat in the area because there is nothing and the neighborhood is a little scary. There is nothing not even a drug store nearby. Needed gas and stopped at a station, but the pump did not work and I didn't want to go inside due to the clientele. People were drunk in the parking lot.

Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011 via mobile

Very nice looking hotel, friendly staff, nicely done rooms BUT when you step off the elevator on the 7th or 8th floor the smell hits you. It was terrible. Was no better when we got to the room. Found mold and peeling wall around the a/c unit and mold behind peeling wallpaper in the bathroom. The toilet in the first room rocked like a teeter totter. We were in New Orleans for a class with my husband's company at the company's expense so we wound up changing rooms. The room on the 2nd floor was much better. No smell when we got off the elevator either. Ok hotel if you get on the right floor, but I would not recommend it.

• Stayed October 2011
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

Pros: The beds were okay, and breakfast was good. It was fairly close to the main part of New Orleans.

Cons: The hotel smelled musty and moldy as if they had not yet fixed the water damage from Katrina. Its location was even worse. It was the only occupied building inquite a radius. The closest buildings, including a Days Inn, had long since been abandoned. We originally planned to stay for two nights, but left after one due to the smell.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

Some friends and I made a weekend trip to New Orleans, and being unemployed college students at the time, we didn't want to break the bank by staying downtown. I chose this hotel almost entirely due to the price (and reviews).

The hotel is pretty standard in all regards. Our room was comfortable enough, and very clean. The window was small, although there's not much to look at anyway.

It only took us about 8 minutes to drive to downtown New Orleans, even with traffic. Considering the savings on the room rate by staying so far out, I'd say that 8 minute drive is well worth it. I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to stay near New Orleans but not wanting to shell out hundreds of dollars. This is definitely a no-frills hotel but it's perfectly adequate.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Clarion Inn? Share your experiences!