“Not as bad as people claim” 3 of 5 stars

You added Marquette House New Orleans International Hostel to your Saves list
Marquette House New Orleans International Hostel
2253 Carondelet St., New Orleans, LA 70130   |
Baton Rouge
“Not as bad as people claim”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

It's not exquisite, but it's not terrible. The building is just really old, like most of the city. There are stains on the linens that indicate bedbugs may have once lived here, which was kind of creepy, but there absolutely no signs of bedbugs currently (10/2013), and I checked for them several times after reading previous reviews. Despite stains, the provided linens are clean. The female dorms are clean overall, though I cannot speak to the male dorms. As a female, I never felt unsafe here, but I was traveling with 3 men. I might not have felt as safe traveling solo.

I only stayed 1 night, so I had a limited experience of the place.

Location is great - right next to the St. Charles street car line, which takes you right to the corner of Bourbon St. and Canal St. downtown for only $1.25.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

I checked into this place without having done much research. Arrived straight from the airport and immediately got terrible vibes from the building (falling apart) and locale - which seemed like the wrong area to start off a visit in NOLA with no local knowledge.

The man at the desk was creepy and unhelpful. I wandered past a dozen men of varying ages and levels of intoxication. Some of the men were downright lewd in their attentions and comments towards me. There was not a woman to be seen. I felt like I was not safe. The dorm I was shown was empty and looked like a haunted hospital ward. The shared facilities were clean enough but uninviting.

I ended up not staying because I felt so uncomfortable. Hopefully it has improved since my experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

My experience of this place was mixed. On the one hand, wifi was intermittent even when standing next to reception, the only place where you could pick it up. The staff were sullen and uncooperative. My shower wasn't working. Security was appalling. Locals spent most waking hours in the communal garden drinking and leering at passers-by with music blaring. And finally, I was bitten scores and scores of times by bed bugs to the point that I threw out all my clothes except those I was wearing and flew back home early (soon after being rejected from another hostel which discovered that I had been staying at this one). On the other hand, it's in a good location.

• Stayed July 2013
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

This hostel only a block away from the St. Charles streetcar, is a great base from which to explore the WW2 museum, Audubon Park, ride over to Camellia Grill past Tulane, or take the streetcar all the way to its end at Bourbon Street. The private room I stayed in has all the basics, and the place is more restful, quiet than some other hostels around. Enough parking along the street, and a good number of diners, pubs, restaurants, small shops in the area.

Room Tip: Private rooms in former school building are a good value.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

The ol' marquette house in New Orleans. It turns out New Orleans is a very expensive place to book hotels or hostels, that's where the Marquette House comes in. Located a block off of St. Charles street the marque room is somewhat, sorta, kinda conveniently located, near downtown new orleans. My favourite part about this hostel is they allow pets. Papa Roach, stayed with us for three nights only making an appearance once mostly keeping to himself in a dark moist nook in the wall.

The amenities were unbelievable. The heat never turned off, mostly because it didn't have an on off switch. The beauty about this is you can crank the AC at full blast and the room stays exactly the same temperature it would've been had there been no heater or AC!

What else can I say, I never felt the need shower in this beauty of a hostel, mostly because the cold water tap didn't turn on. I'm a guy who like a nice HOT shower and let me tell you, it'll provide the hottest shower you can ever imagine. My tactic? Stand outside of the bath tub and place your head under the shower just until your scalp begins to burn. This will allow you to de-grease your hair and fool other travellers into thinking you recently had a shower. It also provides a nice stench on the airplane home that your neighbours get to enjoy.

Lastly, the biggest beauty about this hostel is the view. If you pull up a chair just behind the fence you can soak the locals in their habitat. Lots of board line homeless fellows riding by on bikes. Lots of guys who look like they might try to jump the fence and steal your laptop. We found our little spot behind the fence because the wifi is located across the street in the main house and failed to reach our room.

The memories were priceless.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

DO NOT stay here EVER. My husband and I were literally travelling (backpacking) around the world and we have stayed in many places of varying qualities as we were on a tight budget, but this was without doubt the WORST. Let me add that we had been all over Brazil, Chile, Cuba and even Jamaica but this was disgusting. Staff were appalling. Place was a mess.

I had of course tried to research before going here and there were some comments about bed bugs and other issues but because of the location we thought we'd try it as it was only going to be 4 nights. I did not sleep at all and woke up to find I was covered in bed bugs which were swelling up and became infected. We got up went straight into town and chose a hotel that was amazing. Returned to Marquette house and checked out immediately. Would never go back ever. Would prefer to sleep on the street.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Shelby, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

It is 2 blocks from a bus or streetcar directly to Burbon Street. Good security. No lockers. Reliable coffee. common room and garden. Wi-fi only--no computers. Charged almost double for New Years Eve and Day. Clean linen and towel. Travel advice. I didn't get the bunk I was assigned--someone else was in it. Adequate showers and toilets. I would stay again

Room Tip: Check out the bed before paying.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Been to Marquette House New Orleans International Hostel? Share your experiences!