“This place stinks (and I'd like to use a stronger word)” 1 of 5 stars

Columns Hotel
3811 St. Charles Ave., New Orleans, LA 70115   |
Ranked #95 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Cincinnati, Ohio
“This place stinks (and I'd like to use a stronger word)”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012 via mobile

Looks nice on the surface but Friday and Saturday nights are frat parties taking over the entire first floor until 2am. If you're on the second floor, particularly the room right above the bar, forget about sleeping! And we were paying $235 per night! Plenty of other hotels in the area. The family got us this place for their wedding; little did we know.

• Stayed April 2011

90 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

I stayed here with my son three winters ago when he was still in high school and visiting Loyola New Orleans as a senior. It was one of the hotels suggested by the University. My son has since enrolled there and loves the school and New Orleans.
When we first arrived, we were enchanted. A zydeco band was playing in the lounge and there was a lot of activity. It seemed perfect for New Orleans and we both loved it.
However, we were on the third floor and were there the week after Mardi Gras. Maybe the third floor does not get used much. That would explain the layer of dust on some of the bed pillows. There were no mattress pads on either of the beds and very thin sheets. The bathroom was old and the soap caddy in the shower was rusted and chipping apart. For the couple days that we were there, the same Mardi Gras beads sat in the hallway near a doorway. It looked like no one had vacuumed within an inch of the walls for months (this applied to the carpeted stairway as well.) It was during this trip that I discovered TripAdvisor when I went on line at the hotel to try to figure out if I should try to move.
We have returned here for food and drinks because the veranda and lounge are so charming, but only when we are not rushed because the service is so slow. I would guess that the bulk of The Columns income is from the college kids who come here for poetry readings and music and that they just don't make enough on overnight guests for the management to care at all. And that the people who do stay here repeatedly (some have posted reviews here) either don't mind the shabby/dirty conditions or are able to request the rooms that are clean (assuming there are some.)
I just checked back in to see if current reviewers were experiencing cleaner conditions than I had but I see that little has changed, prompting me to write this delayed review.
This could be such a cool place to stay with some elbow grease and new linens/mattresses!

Room Tip: Second floor rooms might be in better condition.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

We love New Orleans and visit every year. We usually stay at hotels downtown but on the recommendation of friends we booked five nights (Tues-Saturday) at the Columns. It's a three-story mansion on St. Charles, in the Garden District; every room is different, with 14-ft, ceilings (good) and claw-foot tubs with dinky showers (not so good). It's clean and well-kept, with hot breakfasts made to order (included) and wide verandas on the first and second floors. We enjoyed our first three days.
The bad news is that on Friday and Saturday nights it is packed with college students, all of whom seem to know each other. Last Friday night there must have been 200 - in the bar, the ante rooms, the first floor veranda and the patio. It felt like a fraternity house (complete with a uniformed security guard on duty). We were in a 2d-floor bedroom, and only registered guests are allowed upstairs, but still, the noise from below continued until 2 a.m. We're not fussy about little inconveniences, especially in old hotels, but the noise really did us in. We'll stay somewhere else next time.

Room Tip: Maybe the third floor is quieter.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

Earlier this year, I visited with a friend from out of town who wanted to take in the sights and tastes of New Orleans. After visiting a couple of times to NO myself, I knew the best place to stay would be off of St. Charles Ave. in the Garden District, because the traffic and parking situation downtown can be a nightmare, and quite expensive. The trolley takes you right down St. Charles from the Garden District to the French Quarter, and the fee is much smaller than what you would pay for parking. Plus, the trolley rolls until 3am in the morning. But check schedules for holiday hours at: norta.com.
We picked The Columns Hotel in the Garden District on St. Charles Ave., and it was a fantastic choice. The Columns is listed in the register of historical places, and with good reason. Upon first entering, you feel as if you’ve stepped into a Victorian mansion that would have fit perfectly into a Harry Potter movie. There are twisty staircases, giant stained glass windows, a Victorian tea room where you will have your complimentary breakfast (and it’s a yummy one!), a large antiquated bar with decent cocktails, and a Victorian Lounge to have dinner. Not to mention the sweeping patios and balconies decorated with exactly the kind of patio furniture you would expect in the garden district, and live music on some nights. We were having so much fun at the hotel; we almost forgot we were there to check out the French Quarter. At night, the lights dim to make room for mood lighting, making it the perfect spot to bring your date, or partner in crime.
The rooms were spacious, but I have to warn, if you are not able to move around very well, then make sure you let the hotel know before booking. This is because the floors are slanted in some of the rooms, and the claw foot tubs have high sides, making it difficult getting out if you are not in good shape. Otherwise, the rooms are decorated with Victorian sensibilities, and you will feel as if you’ve stepped back in time.
Another charmer of this hotel is you are in the Garden District surrounded by amazing architecture of a bygone era. If you like walking to check out the sights, then you’ve found a perfect area to do it. If you don’t like the muggy heat, then make sure you visit The Columns Hotel from the end of October – April, when Louisiana is at its coolest.

Room Tip: Make sure to let them know if you are mobility challenged before booking a room. Also, be aware this...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

We didnt stay here - but it was recommended that we swing by! This place is amazing! We grabbed a few drinks and walked around to check it out! go to the front desk and look up to the ceiling above the stairwell! BEAUTIFUL! After you look around - take your cocktails to the front porch and watch the streetcars and the rest of the world go by!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Texarkana, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

My husband, myself and a few friends stayed here in July, 2011. All of our rooms were on the third floor. We all greatly enjoyed our stay. This is an historic home turned into a hotel so it is very unique. It also has a bit of wear and smells that your might expect in an historic setting. Our room was clean and noise was not a factor at all. The food was very good. (We had dinner and breakfast here) I did not find the prices to be out of line at all given that this is NOLA and we ate at the hotel. My husband raved over the grits and shrimp. The staff were pleasant and professional even in the face of being very busy. There was a large happy hour crowd on the night of our arrival which we liked as it added to the energy of the place. The veranda was a lovely place to have a few drinks and catch up with our friends. We also caught the street car which runs right in front of the hotel. If you want a cookie cutter national hotel, stay at the Hilton. If you want to experience some real NOLA, good food and have a unique place to stay, I would recommend the Columns Hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Gulfport, MS
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

We booked the bridal suite for my husband's 30th birthday. We have never been more excited. I had called a couple of times to make sure everything was set. We had a bottle of champagne added to the room. When we arrived, the hotel had given away our room to another guest coming in early!! They were apologetic but stuck to their guns and bumped us to an awful room. Old, small, musty and dirty with no view at all. The floor was softer than the bed. (Actually all the beds are like that.) We were heart broken and finally asked for our money back. My mother had paid for this for us and she called and tried to reason with them. The man at the front desk was nice and polite as was the manager. But, would not budge on their decision to favor someone else over someone who had had reservations for a month for this room. They did offer us a free night of our choice at another time. We will probably go, but you better believe I will be calling many times to insure we still get the room. I will also bring a memory foam pad for the bed. I will never pay for this hotel. Like other reviewer said, only go there for a drink on the patio or at the bar.
So we left and my mother made us a reservation at the Ritz Carlton which is much nicer and was actually CHEAPER then the bridal suite at The Columns. We are here now. The Ritz is Highly recommended!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here. They are all ratty.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Columns Hotel? Share your experiences!