“Great Get-Away” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 145 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Eagan, Minnesota, United States
“Great Get-Away”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Met a friend in New Orleans and had a great time. The Sully Mansion only made it better. A beautiful home in the Garden District on a quiet street a few blocks away from the street car. So much nicer than staying anywhere near the French Quarter. We stayed in the Royal Room (two queen beds) and although there was renovation going on outside our windows, we didn’t hear a thing. The only negative comment I have is after breakfast on the day we were leaving, when we went upstairs to finish packing, the girls were already in the room taking the linens off the bed. It would have been nice if they had waited until we’d checked out. It felt very intrusive. However, don’t let that sway your decision. It’s a wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

This was our first stay in New Orleans, and it definitely won't be our last. Guy and Nancy run this B&B wonderfully and we enjoyed every moment of our trip. We stayed in the Prytania room facing Prytania Street; I highly recommend this room as it was both spacious and cozy, and the decor was perfect. The house is just so welcoming and if there weren't all that sightseeing and dining out to do in the city, we may have just been content to sit on the porch most days and relax at the mansion. Be sure to get advice from the owners on music venues, restaurants, etc, as they have the most up to date info. They were also very accommodating with requests such as providing soy milk since I'm lactose intolerant. My boyfriend and I really enjoyed staying here and most definitely would come again.

Room Tip: The Prytania is perfect if you need a bit more space or are traveling with kids.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

My boyfriend and I adored every second of our stay at Sully Mansion Bed & Breakfast. The house is a lovely, restored 19th century home with many period and vintage furnishings throughout. The location of Sully Mansion is unparalleled; they are right around the corner from Lafayette Cemetary, Commander's Palace and novelist, Anne Rice's former home. (They are the only grand-fathered-in legal bed and breakfast in the actual Garden District).

The owners were friendly and helpful without needing to be your best friend; they respect your privacy and I appreciated that very much.

The boyfriend and I did tend to stay out late at night (12am-ish) but we also respected our hosts and the other guests by being very quiet when we returned. I know some B&B's frown on this, but we felt comfortable enough at Sully that we could come and go as we pleased.

The breakfasts were wonderful. I have a wheat allergy and Nancy was kind enough to make sure I had options to choose from. The gluten-free options I ate included: Fresh fruit, yogurt parfait, rice pudding with blueberries, crawfish and egg a la creme, smoked salmon and tomato....I ate plenty well. There were also plenty of tempting soufles and baked goods for you wheat eaters.

We stayed in the Carrollton room, a smaller room with large ceilings, a queen size bed and private bathroom with a magnificient screened in window/door that felt very European. If it were my bathroom, and I didn't have a city to explore, I'd sit in the door/window and paint my toenails and read magazines. Great bathroom. Our bedroom was decorated in a shabby chic manner that I appreciated during my stay.

The weather (late March/early April) was just spectacular and as a result, we enjoyed many bottles of wine and conversation sitting in the wicker furniture on the grand front porch. Sunlight filters through the live oak trees lining Prytania and the scent of jasmine blossoms lingers in the air. It is a slice of heaven and authenticity for a fraction of the price of what it's worth.

Will definitely return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

My granddaughter and I spent a week with Nancy and Guy. Fell in love with the home, the owners and of course Gracie. Nancy and Guy were wonderful and helped us with great resturants, and sights to see on our first trip to NOLA. We would recomend this location to everyone intersted in visting the area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

My husband and I made a quick getaway to NOLA and stayed at the Sully Mansion for three days. I fell in love with the old charm of the house. The owners, Nancy and Guy, made us feel very welcomed from the start. They're very knowledgeable on attractions and great food. I appreciated them for scheduling dinner and tours for us. There's no need to run for breakfast. I woke up to the smell of Nancy's freshly baked loaves with cinnamon and waffles with ginger.
Felicia and Bartholomew

• Stayed March 2013
ridgeway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

The Sully Mansion is in a convenient location for those travellers who want to visit the Quarter but return to the elegance and grace of the Garden District. It is a easy walk to a street car or to the shops and restaurants on Magazine.

There was variety at breakfast, enough to satisfy every taste, healthy eating requirement and appetite. Everything was fresh and delicious. Because we did not have an entrance from our room to the main house, coffee was delivered each morning at 7 am, which was a nice touch.

The owners have a professional demeanour, know the city well and made excellent recommendations for things to do and places to enjoy good food.

Room Tip: We stayed in the room with the private entrance because we enjoy the bed and breakfast experience bu...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Great place to stay! Guy and Nancy have a gift for hospitality and truly making you feel welcome and at home. They are willing to answer questions, and the B&B has a wonderful history. They also served a delicious breakfast, full of homemade pastries, fresh fruit, and smoothies. It is in a gorgeous location in the Garden District, with beautiful and unique decorations, as well as a beautiful outdoor area to enjoy. I will definitely recommend this to friends and family who visit NOLA.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Sully Mansion Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!