“Easy Luxury in the Big Easy” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sully Mansion Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Sully Mansion Bed and Breakfast
2631 Prytania Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Garden District)   |
Ranked #26 of 146 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Easy Luxury in the Big Easy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

My boyfriend and I adored every second of our stay at Sully Mansion Bed & Breakfast. The house is a lovely, restored 19th century home with many period and vintage furnishings throughout. The location of Sully Mansion is unparalleled; they are right around the corner from Lafayette Cemetary, Commander's Palace and novelist, Anne Rice's former home. (They are the only grand-fathered-in legal bed and breakfast in the actual Garden District).

The owners were friendly and helpful without needing to be your best friend; they respect your privacy and I appreciated that very much.

The boyfriend and I did tend to stay out late at night (12am-ish) but we also respected our hosts and the other guests by being very quiet when we returned. I know some B&B's frown on this, but we felt comfortable enough at Sully that we could come and go as we pleased.

The breakfasts were wonderful. I have a wheat allergy and Nancy was kind enough to make sure I had options to choose from. The gluten-free options I ate included: Fresh fruit, yogurt parfait, rice pudding with blueberries, crawfish and egg a la creme, smoked salmon and tomato....I ate plenty well. There were also plenty of tempting soufles and baked goods for you wheat eaters.

We stayed in the Carrollton room, a smaller room with large ceilings, a queen size bed and private bathroom with a magnificient screened in window/door that felt very European. If it were my bathroom, and I didn't have a city to explore, I'd sit in the door/window and paint my toenails and read magazines. Great bathroom. Our bedroom was decorated in a shabby chic manner that I appreciated during my stay.

The weather (late March/early April) was just spectacular and as a result, we enjoyed many bottles of wine and conversation sitting in the wicker furniture on the grand front porch. Sunlight filters through the live oak trees lining Prytania and the scent of jasmine blossoms lingers in the air. It is a slice of heaven and authenticity for a fraction of the price of what it's worth.

Will definitely return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

506 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

My granddaughter and I spent a week with Nancy and Guy. Fell in love with the home, the owners and of course Gracie. Nancy and Guy were wonderful and helped us with great resturants, and sights to see on our first trip to NOLA. We would recomend this location to everyone intersted in visting the area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

My husband and I made a quick getaway to NOLA and stayed at the Sully Mansion for three days. I fell in love with the old charm of the house. The owners, Nancy and Guy, made us feel very welcomed from the start. They're very knowledgeable on attractions and great food. I appreciated them for scheduling dinner and tours for us. There's no need to run for breakfast. I woke up to the smell of Nancy's freshly baked loaves with cinnamon and waffles with ginger.
Felicia and Bartholomew

• Stayed March 2013
ridgeway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

The Sully Mansion is in a convenient location for those travellers who want to visit the Quarter but return to the elegance and grace of the Garden District. It is a easy walk to a street car or to the shops and restaurants on Magazine.

There was variety at breakfast, enough to satisfy every taste, healthy eating requirement and appetite. Everything was fresh and delicious. Because we did not have an entrance from our room to the main house, coffee was delivered each morning at 7 am, which was a nice touch.

The owners have a professional demeanour, know the city well and made excellent recommendations for things to do and places to enjoy good food.

Room Tip: We stayed in the room with the private entrance because we enjoy the bed and breakfast experience bu...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Great place to stay! Guy and Nancy have a gift for hospitality and truly making you feel welcome and at home. They are willing to answer questions, and the B&B has a wonderful history. They also served a delicious breakfast, full of homemade pastries, fresh fruit, and smoothies. It is in a gorgeous location in the Garden District, with beautiful and unique decorations, as well as a beautiful outdoor area to enjoy. I will definitely recommend this to friends and family who visit NOLA.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

This is a wonderful little bed and breakfast in a very safe location. It is in the Garden District and a block away from the trolley line that takes you downtown and to the French Quarter. The owners (Nancy and Guy) were the highlight of my stay. They are very welcoming, love their city, and are happy to offer their advice on what to check out and how to get there. I arrived very late at night after everybody in the house had gone to bed, but Guy and Nancy left me a handwritten card to welcome me and give me instructions on how to get into the room. A really nice gesture. The breakfasts were a great variety of fruits, yogurts, baked goods, etc., and offered a friendly atmosphere to chat with the owners and other visitors. I had a very nice and relaxing time and would stay here again.

Room Tip: I was on a budget and stayed in The Desire. The room is small but has a very comfortable bed and nic...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Lowell, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We just returned home from a three night stay at the Sully Mansion in the Garden District. I can't think of a single thing to complain about. This was our first time in a B&B and I was unsure of what exactly to expect. I'll start at the beginning:

We arrived and Guy met us at the door and checked us in. The interior of the house is spectacular. High, high ceilings and tall doors...the stairway is beautiful, the decor is spot on. Really, really lovely. He showed us our room, gave us a little run through of where everything was located in relation to the inn, and left us to enjoy our stay.

The next morning we met Nancy, and had breakfast with some of the other guests. To be honest, I was worried this would be very awkward, but it was really nice! Some of the guests were people who had stayed before, and that says something. If people come back, it can't be bad! The breakfasts each morning were very good. There was always a choice of yogurt parfait, something savory and delicious (breakfast "muffalettas" were SO GOOD that I am still craving them, and so was the breakfast pie/quiche the last morning of our stay.), and muffins or sweet breads/cakes. There is also a selection of fresh fruit, juices, coffee, water, tea, etc...This was during the week, and I know they do more on weekends. I think we're going to have to come back on a weekend! Coffee and tea service is also provided upstairs at 7 am, which I loved. We could walk out our door, grab a cup of coffee, and go right back to get ready for our day.

We both thought Nancy and Guy were perfectly nice and friendly. I can't imagine what some of the reviewers were complaining about (I saw those, and I was worried! Don't worry). Maybe they were expecting them to hold their hand and skip through the garden with them, I don't know. They were helping the other guests with directions or recommendations for things (even calling friends of theirs if they didn't have the info, but knew of someone who did), and they were always great with answering any of our questions as well. In fact, Nancy recommended the tour of Laura Plantation over the tour of Oak Alley, and I was so glad, b/c the Laura tour ended up being one of my favorite parts of the trip.

As far as location, in our opinion as first timers, you cannot get better than this. The street cars and public transportation are the way to go here. The street car line is less than a two minute walk away, and the trip to the French Quarter was great, and you get to see a lot of sights along the way. We were a couple blocks away from Magazine St, which we really enjoyed. We had dinner on Magazine every night of our stay. We also walked to the Lafayette Cemetery Number 1. The surroundings are amazing. Quiet, peaceful, beautiful.

I have been reserving this last paragraph for one thing and one thing only: Gracie. She deserves all the attention she gets in the other reviews. What a doll. We left our three dogs home with family while we were gone, and Gracie was more than eager to fill in and let us give her lots of love and belly rubs. She is a good, sweet, quiet girl who likes to show off her toys and to be petted. She steals the show :)

We will definitely return to Sully Mansion.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Prytania, which was beautiful. The bathroom has lots of natural light, which I thou...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sully Mansion Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!