“Could the Bathroom be any Smaller?” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
15% Off Discount
Ranked #52 of 153 Hotels in New Orleans
Fairfax
“Could the Bathroom be any Smaller?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

We were excited about our first trip to the Big Easy, but this hotel was a bit dissappointing. There is no shuttle, so you have to catch a taxi from the airport. That will cost you about $60 for a family of four (including tip). The front desk staff are friendly, but sometimes a bit clueless. They actually advised us to take two taxis since it would cost us $33 for two people. I'm not that great at math, but 33 x 2 = 66 and that doesn't include the two tips. Duh! We had the one bedroom suite with the queen sofa bed. The room itself is not bad. It is decently decorated with furniture that seems to be in good shape. The kitchen is nice to have if you want to save some money by cooking in. We cooked several of our breakfasts in the room. With a table and four
chairs, you can comfortably eat a meal. The bedroom is also a decent size with its own TV. The
bathroom, however, is so very small. I'm a petite person and I felt claustrophobic in the tiny shower. I can't imagine how a 200 lb, 6 ft man would feel. My elbow would bump into the
shower glass as I was brushing my teeth at the sink. One day I left a bag of my toiletries at the edge of the tiny sink. My 6 yr old accidentally bumped it and it all fell in the toilet. I was not a
happy camper, but you can't blame the kid when there is no room for anything. As far as
convenience to tourist sites, the hotel is in a good location. They are currently working on the
street car rail in front of the hotel, so you actually have to catch a city bus to get to the street car.
It takes about 30 minutes to get to the French Quarter. You are within walking distance of
Magazine Street which has nice shops and restaurants. You can also walk to the Commander's
Palace if you are interested in an upscale dining experience. The hotel staff are pretty good
about giving directions to the various attractions. The pool is another disappointment. It's very
small and shaped like a square. If you have small children, this pool can be dangerous because
there is no shallow end. There is no cleaning service unless you want to pay extra. You have to
take your own trash to the community dump on the second floor. You also have to switch out
your own towels. All in all our stay was decent, but I would not stay here again. It's not kid-friendly and the bathrooms are so, so small. I also dislike not having cleaning service included. I'm on vacation, why should I have to take out my own trash??!!

Room Tip: We did request a room away from the elevators since another review indicated that they were loud. W...
Green Features: I guess they are environmentally friendly since they have no cleaning service! Most people will opt to not pay extra for the service, so they save all kinds of money not running vacuums and washing towels.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Rhinebeck, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

First off, be advised that this is NOT a hotel but a time share, which is a trade off if you are looking for a bedroom suite setting. However, for those of us accustomed to a Hampton Inn setting which gives us bedroom suites with hotel services (and free breakfast), be warned... you will not get extras unless you ask for them(you won't get the breakfast, unless it's one particular day when there is a promotional, or if you are signing up for a timeshare presentation).

I'll give you "cons" and some "pros"

First, the "Cons", which are each denoted with the "(-)

(-)The check in is pleasant and the concierge gives you a welcome packet (which you learn is actually the start of a timeshare sales process). The concierge also told us that they'll check up on you and yet no call came. I was not impressed. However, the reminder call came when we booked the sales presentation, as well as a note slipped under the door.

(-)There was a major WiFi problem. The staff asks, as well as the brochure states to contact ATT. The Hotel won't do it for you. You are told to call AT&T, who has no actual way of correcting your room WiFi. The Hotel was unresponsive to the problem. If you have children who are into tech or if you have wifi on your phone and want to save on data, then you have a problem.

(-)No extra shampoos or toiletries, even though they were aware of 4 people in the room. I had to ask for them, as well as advise of the towel issue. There is an advertised towel exchange, but really???? For a hotel, we have to exchange towels? To the credit of the hotel, there was a response and for the last 3 nights of my stay, we were given a stack of towels laid on the sofa of the suite whenever we returned from a day visit in New Orleans or other places.

That being said, it's the little things that make a vacation a vacation and these guys didn't seem to get it.

I can get extra shampoo at home, fetch towels from my linen closet and haggle with my satellite/router people on my own time but on vacation, it's not what I want to do. What I am trying to illustrate is that your vacation place should anticipate and take away some of the day to day ops that you would undertake when you are home. I did not get that indication from this particular hotel.

(-)Staff not consistent on message of friendliness. Some of the staff are very friendly - even the ones who aren't trying to sell you the time share. Some were not - and they actually seemed bothered to be helping you. I found them to be sometimes quite short with kids. Also, there were inconsistent greetings of "hello" or "good morning". Again, it appeared that the ones trying to sell the timeshares were friendlier, for obvious reasons. Yet, what was ironic is that the serving staff(such as the ones who prepped coffee in the morning were more receptive to helping, than the front desk. I was actually told to check back for the status of requests (such as reserving a cab) with the front desk, after asking for one. You'd think that they'd note your room number and call you when the job was done. Again, I had a lot of follow through with the timeshare sales staff....

(-) The paragraph above provides an excellent transition to the next point.... Note that the concierge service is actually different from hotel. They are a timeshare sales staff who will try to get you into a sales presentation with the lure of "gifts" (they insist on calling them gifts), which are simply discounted prices on various tours. As for the discounted prices, that's all you get. You will get a confusing process to advise you about the how and when the tour is available, and how you are to get to the tour and that you are on your own to return to the hotel via mass transit (trolley or bus). The conceirge even at one point sarcastically apologized for the process being confusing (as thought my little mind was not grasping it). It finally came home when I went on the tour company (grey line bus in downtown New Orleans) indicated that the concierge used the wrong confirmation number.... seems like I was not the only one confused. I would avoid engaging the timeshare staff for "deals".

(-) No shuttles to the airport are provided, or even a shuttle to the French Quarter, which would have been a plus, since the quarter was not that far away and is supposedly a convenient draw for the hotel (IE it's advertised as having access to downtown New Orleans etc).

(-)That being said,the timeshare presentation is worth breakfast if you want grub for one morning and have about 60-90 minutes to kill (esp if you are not inclined to buy into Wyndham properties). I own Disney Vacation Club and was not interested and the sales people caught on. Only one of the sales people broke protocol and the fangs came out when he realized that we were not prospects. When he was told about why we were not interested (being prospects we received the above treatment, we wondered how the treatment would be as a member), he was not interested. He grunted, nodded and walked away. Once more, note that the gifts are not gifts, per se, but discounted tours (so you are still paying for your gifts, but not your breakfast for that morning).

(-) Staff will not advise you of amenities (Like video game system being available for children). I found it on my own and when I did I found that there were a poor choices in games, which were out dated or animal hunting games (great message for kids).

(-)Staff was quick to scoop up any happy hour stuff if they were put out for social's etc.

There were two "Pros", denoted with (+)

(+)Some of the staff was very accommodating in the early morning and got coffee put out early when asked. So it's a crap shoot depending on whom you get.

(+) Location is pretty good though. But note that there is pan handling around hotel and it that bothers you, then be wary. The trolley comes in front of the hotel. Under repair when I stayed but a mass transit bus was available.

Overall, if you have a pretty thick skin, and have no problem asking for things when you are on a vacation, this place isn't bad. But if your idea of a vacation is to not be pressured for sales and to have someone else be in the driver's seat for a few days, you might want another place.

Room Tip: While not so much about the room, but a hint about the area, it's worth noting that getting arou...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Astoria, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

We were a bit apprehensive about choosing the Wyndham Avenue Plaza Resort for our first trip to New Orleans. We weren’t sure that we wanted to stay some distance from the attractions and have to figure out how to travel back and forth, especially, to and from the French Quarters. Surprisingly, we ended up enjoying our stay. The immediate vicinity did not offer much except for a convenient store and a bar on the same block as the hotel, which came in handy and provided our daily dose of hurricanes. Conversely, take a quick walk on St. Charles St. and you’ll come across numerous restaurants and bars that we eventually tried, and that was a big plus.

The best part of the location is that it compelled us to take the street car during our sightseeing trips, which in of itself, became an amusing experience.

The resort offered coffee daily but not breakfast. There were weekly activities which was nice way to welcome new guests. In addition to the usual laundry service, ice and vending machines, the property also included a small pool and a Jacuzzi, rooftop access that offered a 360° view of the surrounding area, a larger-than-usual gym and a steakhouse right by the lobby. As much as we wanted to, we weren’t able to have dinner at the steakhouse which was only open a few hours in the afternoon and evening and was always full. Our suite included a dining area with a couch, a TV and a full kitchen. Our bedroom, including our bed, was a decent size and the bathroom was just right for two people.

Would we have wanted or required something that offered more than what was available for us? Absolutely, but the point of the vacation was to see New Orleans, and for that, the suite we got was perfect. Other than the couch more than likely needing some serious cleaning, we encountered no other issues. The air condition, considering it was hot every day, worked fine and the pool and Jacuzzi was a good option when we needed to unwind from all the walking we did. The staff was always friendly and courteous which made our stay even more pleasant.

The Wyndham Avenue Plaza Resort is not a bad hotel to stay, and may even be better than most, while in New Orleans. It is close enough that Canal and Bourbon St. are a quick streetcar ride away but far enough that it is quiet and away from all the commotion and craziness that the tourist area always have. I highly recommend visitors do ample research prior to booking and staying as they may demand more than what the place offers. While it may not be a five star hotel as many would like, the Wyndham Avenue Plaza Resort was decent in providing a comfortable stay which complemented our vacation experience.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Huntington Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

We requested 2 rooms next to each other, but we got rooms with windows across from each other so we could 'see' each other. This worked out well. The rooms are very nice and I enjoyed the bathrooms and the kitchens. We were on the back side away from the front where the St. Charles trolley stop is. This is convenient for transportation to the French Quarter.

The staff did not know to much about the Mr. John's Restaurant or had other recommendations.The Garden District is within walking distance, as is a liquor store, grocery store, a great bakery and a couple of really good restaurants, Zea and Tacos and Beer.

Room Tip: Back side so you do not hear the St. Charles Trolley. A room on a floor with the ice machine. A roo...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Nanaimo, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon May 2014. We were impressed with the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. Our room was lovely and comfortable and clean. The bathroom was on the small side and I was surprised that there was not a bathtub in it. The pool area was relaxing and nice. The location was handy to getting around New Orleans. Overall a great place to stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Durrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Avenue Plaza for four nights during a tour of the southern USA, and were made to feel very welcome by all the staff. The room was spacious, although the bathroom was cosy, and the level of service was excellent. There is a neat pool area at the back of the hotel which is like a little oasis, especially after having been our sight-seeing all day. Complementary drinks are provided inthe garden room, where there is also computer access.
We used the valet parking service for the four days of our stay (street parking is not advisable) so we were able to use the public transport around the city. Unfortunately there is construction work taking place on the trolley system at the moment, so the trolleys do not run past the hotel; instead a bus takes passengers for part of the journey, but this is only a temporary blip and nothing to do with the hotel.
I have read other reports about the Avenue Plaza and can only suppose that guests were not staying at the same place we did. If we were to return to New Orleans we would definitely stay at this hotel as is was lovely

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Brookhaven, Mississippi, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

My husband and I went 4 days for our honeymoon. We had a one room suite and it was wonderful, clean, & the staff were amazing and helpful. The bed was very comfortable also the sofa bed no bars sticking into you. Our stay was amazing and would definitely return.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Avenue Plaza Resort? Share your experiences!