“Great Location - but...” 3 of 5 stars

Announcement
Papa Noel Rates
Ranked #89 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
kentucky
“Great Location - but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

My husband and I were celebrating our 33rd wedding anniversary and thought the Chateau Hotel would be just the right place to stay. We booked the hotel through booking.com. A few days before we arrived, my husband called the front desk and told them that we were celebrating this special occasion, and asked if we could have one of the more romantic rooms. The lady said she would take care of us. Well...
We arrived around 1:30 p.m., and were taken to a nice building across the street from the main building. We were on the second floor, room 54. Let me just say this. Room 54 should be discounted. It was a decent size room, with two queen beds, exposed brick, nice marble bathroom with a good shower, and very clean. However, it was a dark room, with one window overlooking the parking lot, which was not exactly the romantic room we had in mind. The television was so small we could hardly see it from the bed. If watching sports, you could not see the score, and it was not a flat screen, but the old kind.
My husband asked the front desk if we could be moved, but he was told to check back the next day. Since we had called ahead of time, we were disappointed that we could not be accommodated as requested. We did not want to have to pack up the next day to move (if a room even became available). We were spending four nights. One quarter of our stay was already in a room we were not exactly thrilled with. Should we have moved if something became available the next day? Probably. But we didn't.
I believe we had the worst room of all. So much for calling ahead. We had the opportunity to see the suite next to us and it was absolutely gorgeous. While this was a suite, I imagine that the other queen rooms were all very nice and much better than room 54, although I did not see any other rooms personally, except in the brochure and online.
OK, that disappointment aside, I want to focus on the positives.
The cleaning and service staff were very accommodating and helpful. A couple of times we decided not to have the room cleaned, since we had plenty of towels, etc. We put the do not disturb sign on our door and were not bothered. But, each time we did that, we were brought clean towels, shampoo, etc. in a bag which was left by our door. How nice! The provided breakfast, while basic, was a nice touch, and we enjoyed that. The people who brought the breakfast to our room were very friendly. The beds were extremely comfortable. Our building was nice, with an Autumn wreath on the front door, very homey. We felt safe and enjoyed the location. There was a small fridge (in the closet) which came in handy.
I would recommend this hotel, just not room 54. It's not an awful room by any means, but not the romantic room we had envisioned and requested.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Sarah D, Manager at Chateau Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
As you can imagine, I'm very excited to hear that you celebrated your anniversary with us, but disappointed that room 154 was not to your liking. We're always willing to move a guest, if we have availability. You arrived over a terribly busy weekend and I personally moved you into 154 because of its large bathroom and private location. Unfortunately, I'm sorry that we could not move you immediately during your stay. Thanks for the feedback and I hope you enjoyed the rest of your anniversary in New Orleans.

All the best,
Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Madison, Alabama, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We enjoyed our stay. We were there four nights. The location was excellent, being close to everything we wanted to do. We really liked the courtyard at the hotel. It was good for breakfast and for gathering in the early evening before going to a restaurant. Our room only had a shower in the bathroom; kinda wish we had a tub. But for only 4 nights it was okay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Sarah D, Manager at Chateau Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Wonderful location, great courtyard, tasty breakfast — that's what we're going for, so it's great to hear that you think we're doing a good job, Darrell! Thanks for the excellent feedback here on TripAdvisor. Next time you're in town, give us a call!

Cheers,
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Loved the location in the French Qtr (the quieter side!). We had two different rooms during their stay. The first night we had a room in the main building, had a balcony (a bit rickety, did not spend time out there!). Outside lights shined in your face while in bed from both windows, impossible to block. We stayed in this room on a Sat eve, very noisy outside all hours of the night. Room not well insulated. Second room we stayed in for two nights was across the way in another building The Chateau owns. Much quieter, more updated room. Nice bathroom. Pool in courtyard is small but the area is very quaint. I would stay here over a Hilton, Marriott, etc to get the real feel of NOLA. Have been to the city 8 times and this made us feel the most at home (after having stayed at several other large, more expensive hotels). No casino, no restaurant, no fancy main lobby, but it's the real NOLA deal.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Sarah D, Manager at Chateau Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
We're all about providing our customers with a true New Orleans experience, Cathy! It's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thanks so much for the support! I hope you'll come back and stay with us again on your next trip to The Big Easy!

Cheers,
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I called this hotel and booked it because of a flyer they had at the Louisiana Tourist Building...which said the room was a special rate and had FREE parking. I called and they explained the rate schedules (which vary depending on how full they are...but the bottom line was at least 109 a night or more). The photos looked nice so I booked three nights. Pictures are deceiving. My room was so small I could barely walk around the double size bed. The TV was OLD and TINY. The bathtub was RV sized, there was rust or mold coming through the paint in the bathroom in a few spots, and they charged me $60 for parking. My door knob felt like it was going to fall off and the bathroom door was about 3/4 the size of a regular door...which made the space feel even smaller than it was. But, on a lucky note, I found $20 under the tv stand (so it's obviously NOT being cleaned appropriately). There was no fridge and the "continental" breakfast was something you HAD to ask for it daily (and was a piece of fruit, toast or english muffin, and a coffee and juice item) but they delivered it to your door. The location is awesome and the courtyard was nice. Overall, I was disappointed but I would probably stay there again if I were desperate...and could pick a better room!

Room Tip: Ask to look at the room before you book...and get things in writing. They don't use a computer...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Sarah D, Manager at Chateau Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
I'm disappointed to hear that you didn't receive accurate information on our parking rates, Jes. For a three night stay the parking is $20 per day. I plan on checking with the manager of the Tourism Bureau to make sure that all of our information is presented accurately. Thanks for the feedback here on TripAdvisor. Next time you're in NOLA, I hope you'll stop in and give us another chance.

Fairhope, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Though we only stayed one night we knew we would come back and stay again. It is far enough off the beaten path for a good nights sleep(even with a street/balcony room) but close enough to be in the middle of the action in a few minutes. The staff was very friendly and helpful and made us feel at home right away. The private locked parking lot is a huge plus. We will stay again.

Room Tip: The street rooms were suppose to be a bit louder than interior courtyard rooms but we did not experi...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Sarah D, Manager at Chateau Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
We always want our customers to have a truly memorable experience, so it's great to hear that you'd come back and stay with us again your next time in town. I can’t wait to welcome you back the next time you’re in NOLA!

Till then,
Pensacola, Florida, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Pictures on site, particularly of bedrooms, were not as nice in person. Furniture was very used and cheap looking, although linens were nice. Bathroom was also a little outdated and there are no shelves or ledges in the shower, thus, no place to set soap, shampoo, etc. Hallways were cramped and always has trash laying in them.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Sarah D, Manager at Chateau Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Customer feedback is very important to us, so I really appreciate you taking the time to write us a review, Caroline. Thank you for the suggestions here on TripAdvisor. I hope you enjoyed your vacation and come back to New Orleans soon.

All the best,
Pearland, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

We have been to New Orleans several times but this is our first stay at the Chateau Hotel. We stayed in room 153 which is the 2 bedroom suite. It has a kitchen with a table refrigerator, microwave, coffee pot etc. it has a living room area with a bar top separating the kitchen and living room. It has a small couch, area rug, coffee table and TV. The first floor bedroom is very spacious with a king bed which is a very comfortable 4 posted bed. Nice closet, night stands and a chest of drawers with a TV. You open the ceiling to floor window to gain access to the balcony which overlooks St. Philip Street. You can see Flanagan's Pub right across the street and you can see the main hotel on the corner (this room isn't part of the main hotel). 20+ foot ceiling downstairs and a queen bedroom, open air loft upstairs. Nice sleigh style bed, two night stands a closet and a chest of drawers with TV and full bath. We love the age of the room with its wood floors in half the downstairs but new tile in kitchen. Upstairs room is carpeted. Some may or may not like the creaking floors and old feel of this room but to us it was everything we wanted and more. One thing. They give you two keys (see my pics) one lets you into the door at street level, you walk up a flight of stairs to gain access to the room. The key for this room is labeled with 153 and it opens the door labeled with 53. This is a tricky lock and a little hard to open but that's my only gripe. This is a charming room and I will stay here, requesting this room every time we come to New Orleans. Thank you Chateau Hotel and staff! Our breakfast was delivered every morning and that's a nice touch.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Sarah D, Manager at Chateau Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
You have no idea how much your compliments mean to us! It's great to hear that you enjoyed your accommodations and your trip to New Orleans. Thank you for the feedback and I hope to see you again soon.

Till then,
Manager

Been to Chateau Hotel? Share your experiences!