“Good location, beautiful building, but lacks good service” 3 of 5 stars

Announcement
Papa Noel Rates
Ranked #86 of 153 Hotels in New Orleans
Kansas City, Missouri, USA
“Good location, beautiful building, but lacks good service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

I was traveling with 3 other women on our yearly trip. Three of the four of us are teachers, so we're always looking for affordable places to stay. The Chateau Hotel is certainly one of those places! It was in an amazing location, near Bourbon St (we didn't care too much about this), and only a couple of blocks from Cafe Beignet (that's what we cared about)!

The outsides of the building(s) were beautiful!! We were all super excited when we got there. The room wasn't anything write home about, but we didn't spend a lot of time in the room, so it worked fine for us. There were some cleanliness problems the first day, hair in the bathroom, the carpet in the room could use a good cleaning, and there was some trash left over from previous guests. It wasn't as bad as it sounds, and they fixed it the next day.

My problem with the hotel is with its service. I talked to four different people at the front desk, all but one were very short with me and not too friendly. The only front desk person who I felt cared about our stay was the man I talked to at check-out.

The worst part was breakfast. It was included in our rate and was suppose to be delivered to our room. Now, I mentioned that three of us were teachers, we are very careful with our money (please remember this when you read these comments). The first day we didn't get our breakfast, we had to call down about it and then pick it up ourselves. The second day we received a call from the breakfast guy basically saying, "Good Morning. Your breakfast will be up in about 10 min, TIPS ARE APPRECIATED." Needless to say, we were not happy about that. I called down and asked if I could pick up our breakfast (we didn't want to tip someone that tells you to tip). We were allowed, but told to bring everything back to the kitchen when we were done. We did. The next day, we received the same call. We were all super tired and noone wanted to go down and get breakfast, so we just had the guy bring it up and tipped him, HOWEVER, we were still asked to bring everything back to the kitchen when we were finished!!! We were paying guests and should not have had to work. Luckily the last morning there was someone else working and it went smoothly. When I talked to the desk about it they said the guy was new and they'd talk to him about it. It was just aggrivating.

The bell staff was VERY friendly and nice!

So, if you're not too overly concerned with service, this is a wonderful place to stay!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

When I found this hotel and made the reservations, I have to admit I was a little skeptical because it was the only hotel I found in the French Quarter for Halloween weekend for a decent price. I was hoping it would be an ok hotel but expecting it to be run down with crappy service. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised, the service was great and the location is just amazing- we walked everywhere! It is with in walking distance of Bourbon street, the cathedral, French market, shopping, awesome restaurants and bars. This hotel captures the New Orleans essence and I loved it! It was worth every penny and I will be back next year

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

Loved the hotel ... have been there twice. Free AAA parking and a light free breakfast are nice, but cafe du monde is only a few blocks away for beignets and coffee. The place exudes character; the rooms are somewhat dated but have good ambience. Rates are reasonable. I am looking forward to my next visit.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011 via mobile

Great hotel. In the French quarter but on a quiet street. Beautiful old style hotel with great courtyard. The breakfast is small but it is enough to get you started. Being able to have it in your room or the courtyard is a nice touch. The rooms are old but have good character and are clean. Could not recommend this hotel more!

• Stayed August 2011
cmhnola2001, Reservations Manager at Chateau Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2011
Hope to see you again soon! Thank you for reviewing the Chateau Hotel.

Sarah I Drake
Reservations Manager
Chateau Hotel
Moncton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

I spent a week at the Chateau Hotel for my 3rd trip to New Orleans. I decided on this hotel because I wanted to stay in that part of the Quarter, closer to the Marigny area. And the location was perfect as Frenchman St was just a short walk away, but I was still close to Jackson Square and Bourbon St.

This is not a 5 star/high class hotel with a bunch of amenities. If this is your style, then this hotel is not for you. Yes, the hotel could use some updating, but if you want good value for money, the Chateau Hotel is a fine choice. I had a queen bed room with a shared balcony over looking the courtyard. The room was small in the sense that their wasn't a lot of floor space, but it didn't feel small because of the very high ceilings. The bathroom was a good size, and felt even larger because of the wall to wall mirror. They have pedestal sinks which look very nice, but aren't practical for a hotel because there is no counter space. I ended up putting a towel on the toilet lid to use as a counter. Small annoyance, but manageable. My room also had no bathtub, just a large built in tile shower.

The rooms do have small fridges, which is a big plus for me as a lot of hotels do not offer fridges anymore (or charge you more for your room to have one), but they had it in the closet. I mentionned that there wasn't a lot of floor space in the room, but the fridge could still go in the room without being in the way. I thought that very strange.
The staff was very nice, and the courtyard is very pretty and has that New Orleans charm. They have a small pool which is great to cool off on a warm, humid day. The hotel doesn't have any individual safes or safety deposit boxes, but you may use the hotel safe. You put your items in a sealed enveloppe and they put it in the safe for you. The hotel also offers a continental breakfast which you can have delivered to your room or eat out in the courtyard (there is no breakfast room). You need to place your order the night before and indicate what time you want your meal. A person doesn't always know what time they'll get up the next morning when they're on vacation (especially in New Orleans), but the breakfast is appreciated. They offer a choice of toast, english muffin or muffin, with tea/coffee and juice.

Overall, it was a pleasant stay. With the exception of a couple of times during the week-end, there was no noise issue. There didn't appear to be anybody staying in the room next to me, so I can't comment on room to room noise. Would I stay there again, yes.

Room Tip: If you like to sleep in, request not to have a main level room in the courtyard as you'll likely...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to review the Chateau Hotel. We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay.

Most rooms have the mini-fridges on or in cabinets. I understand you wouldn't mind it out in the room, but some guests prefer it tucked away.

We hope you get to come back soon!

Sarah I Drake
Reservations Manager
Cnateau Hotel
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

We stayed here last week and LOVED IT!! It is a charming little hotel in the French Quarters in the perfect location. You park your car and never have to drive until you leave. Sarah was the best hostess!!! We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
MICHIGHAN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

Stumbled up this hotel when I arrived in New Orleans one day early and my booked hotel was not available, room while in need of an updates seemed clean and cozy, free parking in a gated garage. short walk to bourbon street for half of the big hotel prices. Breakfast is served in a quaint little room that was clean and the staff was friendly, pool also was warm clean and refreshing, will definatly return

Room Tip: im not sure if the proberty is all suites , but that is what we required
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Chateau Hotel? Share your experiences!