“Great hotel Horrible Breakfast” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Downtown (French Quarter Area)

Save Saved
You added Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Downtown (French Quarter Area) to your Saves list
Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Downtown (French Quarter Area)
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   226 Carondelet Street, New Orleans, LA 70130   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Double HHonors Points!
Ranked #18 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Orlando, United States
“Great hotel Horrible Breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

Great hotel, great location but the worst complimentary breakfast I've ever had This hotel is located in a great area and isn't to far from all the night time action I stay here on business and the staff is always welcoming and even to the point where they say my name when I drive up That means I'm there a lot

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

This Hampton is just a very short 5 min walk to Bourbon Street and all the restaurants and bars (even if you get drunk you should be able to find your way back). The parking is very expensive so if you can get away with just taking taxis you might save money. I got upgraded so it is hard to compare to a normal room, the room was very, very large with a living room area, desk area an big king bed. Didn't get a chance to try the breakfast since I was only there 1 night and had an early flight out. Would definitely recommend the hotel but don’t expect a 4 star plush hotel room unless you get the King Suite.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Littleton, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

Staff from check in to door man is amazing. Rooms are extra large, clean and nicely appointed Large windows in every room, but nicely draped to block out sun if you want to sleep in. Location is convenient : a few blocks to French Quarter and shopping, steps from street car line for seeing Garden District and Uptown New Orleans. Nice breakfast with plenty of items to choose from. Will definitely recommend to friends and family and would return again to stay when in New Orleans.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

Recently stayed in this Hotel. Like other reviewers its in a great spot just outside the Bourbon Street noise. Staff are very friendly and welcoming. Breakfast was simple but filling, all you need to start the day. Room was large and had everything you would need. I was there for 4 days and could not fault the staff or service. Apart from that the room pricing was very competitive. Would stay there again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

Breakfast was great. Accommodations were clean, comfortable and spacious. Staff was helpful, pleasant and prompt. Downtown location adjacent to Canal Street and the streetcar line. We will definitely use this hotel again on our future visits to NOLA!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Woodstock, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

I've stayed at this hotel 6-8 times on business. I go 3-4 times per year to visit a customer and enjoy all that is New Orleans. Being a Hilton Diamond member, I always seek out Hilton properties and when I found this one, I fell in love. The location (about a block and a half from Bourbon - actually, Carondelet becomes Bourbon when it crosses Canal St) is extremely convenient, though lower floors can be loud if you're above the street cars. Higher floors are fine.

This is a neat hotel. It's been nicely renovated and the rooms are spacious and modern.

My stays, however, have gone consistently downhill. Early January of this year I was there and my room wasn't serviced one day. No big deal. I was back for JazzFest in Late April/Early May and the same thing happened. I asked that it be serviced when I went out that evening, and it was. I can only imagine that a hotel in a city like this MUST run into challenges servicing rooms with people sleeping late and such. I keep fairly regular hours and always try to vacate my room by 10:00 and stay away for at least 2-3 hours. That seems like a large enough window to pick up a few towels and drop off a few clean ones.

Apparently, that's too much to ask. My last visit was a few weeks ago. On Saturday morning, I left my room by 10:00 and was back around 3:30. The room hadn't been made up. When I left to go out for dinner, I stopped at the front desk and asked if it could be serviced. The staff offered no apology but merely checked the records and told me that my Do Not Disturb sign was out when Housekeeping came by. I explained that I was gone by 10:00 and they seemed disinterested. Since they offered NOTHING and it was getting awkward standing and looking at each other, I then ASKED if I could have my room serviced. They begrudgingly agreed. I told them that if I could just get some fresh towels, that would be fine.Indifference. When I returned around midnight, it was just as I left it. Nothing. I guess the indifference was worse than I imagined.

I hate that this place has gone downhill. I love the location and the high ceilinged rooms. Perhaps I've just been unlucky, who knows.

I'll be returning to the Hilton Garden Inn or another property while in NOLA. Heck at this point, I've met my Diamond status for the year... I'm sure Marriott has some nice properties in NOLA. Hopefully, they don't see a request to have a room serviced as an inconvenience.

I would check out other options if you're looking to stay in NOLA. While you could do worse I'm sure, for the prices this Hampton charges, it's not a very good value at all. $300 a nite (during JazzFest) and I have to ask to have my room made up? I don't think so. Throw the 'tude on top of it? I really don't think so.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
ViseTricia, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Downtown (French Quarter Area), responded to this review, August 26, 2014
First I wanted to thank you for staying with us when you visited New Orleans. I apologize for any inconveniences you may have encountered while you were here. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention, and I will definitely speak to my Housekeeping Manager and my Front Office Staff regarding these issues. If you would like to discuss this further, please feel free to call me directly at the hotel at (504)529-9990.
Again, thank you for bringing this to my attention because without help/suggestions from guests such as yourself, I could never begin to address many situations.
Tricia H. Vise
Arlington, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

I wish we could have stayed longer! We were only in NOLA for one night, but I could have stayed much longer. Although there wasn't any free parking, the valet guys were great and super prompt. The hotel staff was nice and eager to help if we needed it...we weren't sure where to go for dinner and they had great recommendations, then in the morning, I lost my room key, and they gave me a new one, no problems! Speaking of morning, the breakfast was AMAZING! Make your own waffles, there were omelettes and sausage and oatmeal and cereal and yogurt and bagels. SO GOOD! We will definitely be staying here if we come back to NOLA. The bed was a key part of this great experience. So comfy after a long day of driving.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher level room...not as long at the top.