“Great Price, BEST location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Downtown (French Quarter Area)

Save Saved
You added Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Downtown (French Quarter Area) to your Saves list
Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Downtown (French Quarter Area)
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   226 Carondelet Street, New Orleans, LA 70130   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Double HHonors Points!
Ranked #18 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
“Great Price, BEST location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

We stayed here for our Anniversary June 2012. The location is great, only about a 2 block walk to Canal, the huge main road that everything stems from.. the road the hotel is on actual turns INTO Bourbon St once you cross Canal. There is a 24 hr store/chicken shack on the corner that came in handy.. The room was HUGE and the bed was comfy. Bathroom was big. Front desk people were nice. The breakfast buffet was excellent with lots of choices and they changed it everyday. Good, cooked food, not just danishes and cereal. Didnt see the pool. The hotel leads into a shopping with with some restaurants which was convienient, especially if it is raining and you want food. I def would stay at this hotel if I was to get back to New Orleans. And the price was more affordable than all other comparable hotels.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I recently traveled to New Orleans on business and stayed at the Hampton Inn Downtown.

First off I'm a sucker for old school architecture and this hotel, located in a former bank building definitely fit the bill.

The front desk staff couldn't have been friendlier and were proud to give me a quick history lesson on the building and the neighborhood.

Located a block and half from Canal Street and the French Quarter it’s close enough to all the music and fun that the quarter offers but not so close as to disturb you.

I always try to stay at a Hampton Inn when I travel so when I return to the “Big Easy” this will be my1st choice.

Room Tip: I don't think you'll go wrong with any room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Regina, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. We found the location to be great. About 2 blocks from the French Quarter, close to everything but far enough away for quiet. The street is on Carondelet but walk 2 blocks and the name turns into Bourbon Street, the main street in the French Quarter.

Upon arriving at hotel, there is valet parking at $26.75 a night plus parking, unless a major event is on, then it goes up. Upon entering hotel, there is no indication where reception is. It is in a ways - just keep walking and it is to the left. Checked in was no problem. The hotel room itself was not up to the usual Hampton standards, it just needs a face lift. The bed mattress needs to be changed as it is starting to wiggle, a good indication it is old. We also noticed that we did not have a luggage rack and asked for one to be brought up. It never came. After the first night's sleep, I woke up and my back was out due to the fact that I had to sit on the bed to watch TV the night before. I had such a headache and could not get rid of it so I had a massage to work out the kinks. When I got back to the hotel I asked why we did not have a chair and ottoman in our room as the description said we were to have. After a bit of discussion a chair and ottoman were ordered for our room. We had the floor lamp to go with it and there certainly was enough room for a chair so I am not sure why we did not have one. I also ordered the luggage rack - at least it would be there for the next guest. When the chair and ottoman arrived, it was not the cleanest of furniture. But I did not complain yet again.

The construction of the building is not the best as you can hear people in the next room. If you are a light sleeper, you may have to bring ear plugs. And, don't expect a good view as you probably won't get one.

The breakfast is the normal Hampton fare and is located on the 4th floor. The chairs are comfy but could do with a good cleaning.

This hotel was probably a good choice for where we were. Everyone was friendly and tried to help us out as much as possible.

Oh - there are signs saying the hotel is under renovations but I did not see anything being done. They may have been working on other floors.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
ViseTricia, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Downtown (French Quarter Area), responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Greetings from New Orleans!

Just wanted to drop you a quick note of thanks for staying with us. I'm so pleased that the staff was friendly and tried to help you as much as possible. We are currently undergoing an entire hotel renovation. We are currently on the 2nd and 3rd floors and will be moving to other floors once those are complete. I apologize for any disappointments you had associated with your stay here. I hope you can come back and give us a try once the renovations are complete.
Happy Holidays!
Tricia Vise
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

If you're looking for a clean, pleasant, comfortable place to stay within walking distance of the French Quarter, look no further. Hampton Inn is less than 2 blocks from the intersection of Bourbon Street & Canal Street, on what I would say is the "fringe" of the business district. Although it's presently undergoing some renovations, it's a typical Hampton Inn. Extremely comfortable beds, nicely appointed (and CLEAN!) rooms, great complimentary breakfast, great location, and pleasant staff. Need I say more? :-)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Terry, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

We stayed on 14th floor and the view was nice. The room was huge and very nice! Walking distance from canal street. Ez park right next door for 14 dollars a day!!! Only complaint is I couldn't stay longer.

• Stayed December 2012
Annapolis, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

My family stayed at this facility for two nights. It was a family vacation. I requested a room at the front of the hotel, since I had read some reviews here that indicated the rooms were better (larger and better equiped). Our room was very large and the room itself seemed to be newly refurbished (and clean). The furniture, however, looked the worse for wear; deep scratches in the tv cabinet, for example.

The hotel is under renovation, although we were not directly affected by that. The breakfast is located on the fourth floor, in a rather odd location. There is no lobby to speak of; check in is in a small room off the main elevator area.

I wish we had stayed closer to the heart of the French Quarter. The hotel is located a few blocks from the end of Bourbon Street, and these blocks are a bit scary to walk, especially at night. I would not stay in this hotel again. There are several other choices closer to the RiverWalk.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
ViseTricia, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Downtown (French Quarter Area), responded to this review, December 1, 2012
First I would like to thank you for staying with us, but I certainly apologize your opinion is that the hotel is "sketchy". Most people feel the location is prime being that they don't have to deal with the noise in the French Quarter when they are trying to sleep. I understand your disappointment with the hotel being old, and that is the very reason we are currently under renovation. Perhaps once the renovations are complete, you can give us another chance. We would love the opportunity to prove our commitment to your satisfaction.

Happy Holidays!

Tricia Vise
nashille
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

When I checked in my room smelled like some one had been smoking in it. They did offer to move us, but it was to much trouble to do so just aired the room out they did tell me some room were smokng rooms but mine wasn't

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Downtown (French Quarter Area)? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Downtown (French Quarter Area)

Address: 226 Carondelet Street, New Orleans, LA 70130
Location: United States > Louisiana > New Orleans
#12 Romantic Hotel in New Orleans
#13 Business Hotel in New Orleans
#15 Family Hotel in New Orleans
Hotel Class:3 star — Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Downtown (French Quarter Area) 3*
Located in the Carondelet Building, noted as the first "skyscraper" in New Orleans, the Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Downtown (French Quarter area) artfully combines the city's rich history with modern conveniences. Just one block from the French Quarter's Bourbon Street, famous restaurants, antique shopping and top attractions, our Hotel in Downtown New Orleans gives you easy access to the best this world-class city has to offer. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, AAA Travel Services, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Hilton Hotels, Priceline, Despegar.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Downtown (French Quarter Area) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Hampton Inn Downtown/French Quarter Area Hotel New Orleans
Hampton Inn New Orleans
New Orleans Hampton Inn

If you own or manage Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Downtown (French Quarter Area), register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.