“Good place to stay - good location - great value new hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Blake Hotel New Orleans, an Ascend Collection Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Blake Hotel New Orleans, an Ascend Collection Hotel to your Saves list
The Blake Hotel New Orleans, an Ascend Collection Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   500 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #91 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
“Good place to stay - good location - great value new hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Booked about 25 rooms for a 3 day weekend New Orleans wedding in April. Very satisfied guests. Very satisfied with the value, location, rooms, lobby, staff and in-hotel restaurant. Our 2nd floor room had grand 14' ceilings with floor to ceiling windows, nice furniture and spacious bathroom. Recent, decent renovation throughout. Low key comfortable atmosphere. Good recommendation for out-of-the-Quarter on the streetcar safe location. Fabulous location for Mardi Gras week.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

219 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Douglasville, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I love choice hotels, that's why I stayed here but this was not a good decision. My room was horrible. It smelled like smoke, carpet was filthy, windows dirty, bathroom filled with mildew, and the maid just walked in our room without knocking. The queen size bed is more a full size, so if you have to share this bed with someone it might be a little difficult. I will never stay here again. I read a sign at the front desk that stated the hotel under went a two million dollar renovation but I did not see it in my room. There's no pool at this location. The hotel has a wonderful lobby, so if you're looking for a nice place to hang out then this might be for you. I'd give this place a one star if the staff wasn't helpful and the location of the hotel wasn't great. The hotel is in walking distance of the casino, french quarter, and superdome; however if yo're going to pay $200+ a night and you want a nice room I'd stay elsewhere. I know the next time I'm in New Orleans I WILL NOT be staying here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
HOUSTON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We arrived in New Orleans for the Sugar Bowl this past January and were a little apprehensive after finding the lobby to be faily small. As this was game night the streets were packed with fans all clamoring to get into the Superdome or bars near the stadium.

We had to valet as the street parking looked a little shady to me, wasn't a bad choice, but be prepared to wait upon retrieving your vehicle. The valet was very friendly and offered to help out as much as possible.

The staff at the front desk was very polite, walking us through everything we'd need. I can't stress enough how nice they were.

The room. Wow. What a room. Huge, comfortable with plenty of space to spare. The bed was massive (California King) and the bedding was also quite comfortable. Had we not had a game to get to, we would've just lounged all night. The bathroom was also very spacious with great water pressure and plenty of soft towels.

We weren't able to experience anything else the hotel had to offer as we hit the game and made our way back late at night. Check out was a breeze.

Overall I definitely think this is a place to look into if you want a reasonably priced option for your stay in fantastic New Orleans.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 5th floor and were very pleased. Our room faced St. Charles, which could have been...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

The hotel is beautifully furnished and is continually well maintained. The hotel reminds me of some of the more modern European hotels and the front desk clerks were very friendly and extremely helpful.
Check-in was extremely efficient. We arrived several hours before check-in time and the room was not ready. The hotel was glad to hold our luggage in a secure location and valet services, though expensive, are actually very efficient.
When I arrived in my room, I knew it was a great place. THe room, though small was nicely furnished with modern furniture, floor to ceiling wall-to-wall windows and black-out curtains. Our room had a king-sized bed but he room did not feel cramped. There was ample closet space but could use a little more drawer space. The bathroom is smaller than I enjoy, and there is no vanity counter-top, but there is wall shelves for personal items. The marble floors are beautiful and the shower is awesome. The bathroom has no vent- fan, so it does steam up rather well.
Our room had a problem with the AC where the temperature was either too hot or too cold, so I was continually adjusting the thermostat. Being a hydronic system, it is likely the water valve solenoid needed replacing. Not a big deal.
Housekeeping was a little lazy. We had a three night stay and room service was there once, though she claimed to have cleaned the room every day. There were no clean towels, the bed was not made and the shampoo, mouthwash and shower gel (all Bath & Bodyworks products) was not replenished...good thing I brought toiletries from home.
If you are on the lower floors, you will hear the St. Charles street car, as well as some of the street traffic, all day and night. Even though I was on the second floor, this was not a problem for me, because I am used to the sounds of steel wheels on steel tracks: I live in a city within two blocks of train tracks, so the sound was hardly noticed. If you are not used to trains, you will notice this, so request an upper floor or side view room.
I love this hotel and will stay here again. It is conveniently located within a walkable distance from the French Quarter, Warehouse District, Arts District and Business District. The on-site restaurant is great with good food and reasonable prices. Valet is a little expensive, but less than the prices at some other hotels in the city. The valet attendants are super nice and will go out of their way to assist you with luggage and directions. Just park and walk or take the St. Charles streetcar for a memorable view of the city. The streetcar stops right in front of the hotel.
I believe you will enjoy this hotel.

Room Tip: if the sound of historic streetcars might bother you, request a room on the upper floors on the side...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Skovde, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We stayed here for three nights at the end of March. It was three unusually cold days in NO and the first night was kind of cold, but then we asked for an extra blanket. I think it was us not understanding how to work the ac.
The bed was ok, but it was hard to move without waking the other.
The shower handle broke off the first morning, but a guy came and fixed it just five minutes after we called.
The staff is ok. Cleaning was ok.
The toiletries come from bath & bodyworks.
The hotel is located about a 10 min walk from the French Quarters, so not to noisy.
We could stay here again if the price is right.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Chattanooga, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

Great price and close to the street car. Our guest service guy is extremely nice. Twice he has given me a map and drew out directions.
Rooms are small but nice and mostly clean.

Bad things: you can hear the street car run all night unless you're sleeping heavy.
No down pillows : (
NO PARKING. Valet is only 28$ for 24 hours. The first night I paid 38$ to park in the Whitney garage on Poydras. Chose Valet!

• Stayed March 2013
Chicago area
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

A few things: my message waiting light was on for four days and after three calls on different days and being told they didn't know what to do, I finally figured out that I should unplug it. For some reason, the cleaning crew would unscrew my toilet seat but not resecure it properly. My desk chair would not fit between the bed and the desk. The staff for the most part was rude and uncaring. It was bad enough that it was funny, though it was not my money being wasted on the hotel.

• Stayed March 2013

Been to The Blake Hotel New Orleans, an Ascend Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!