“Adequate accommodations” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Embassy Suites New Orleans-Convention Center

You added Embassy Suites New Orleans-Convention Center to your Saves list
Embassy Suites New Orleans-Convention Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   315 Julia Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Park, Stay, and Go!
Ranked #99 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Birmingham, Alabama
“Adequate accommodations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

The two-room suite was nice and clean and in good repair. However, the common areas of the floors are in need of updating. The hotel staff were cordial and friendly. The breakfast buffet was standard with the made-to-order omelettes being the only highlight.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Mobile, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

This was a good hotel in the heart of New Orleans' Warehouse District and only 1 block away from the Convention Center. It's close to good restaurants (eg. Lucy's, Rock N Sake, Cochon, Emeril's) and museums (eg. WWII Museum, Children's Museum, Civil War Museum). All within walking distance. The lobby and adjacent dining area are spacious with an interesting Mardi Gras mural on the main wall. I enjoyed staring at that thing and finding the peculiar little details. They also have a restaurant in the hotel but I did not dine there. The staff were all very friendly, courteous, and helpful, especially the bellman and the parking valets. The room was what you would expect from an Embassy Suites, although a tad bit smaller, but still very comfortable (comfy bed, crisp sheets, warm comforter). Everything was clean and well-maintained with only one minor exception: the shower did not produce hot water, only lukewarm water. The Manager's Reception was very popular with all the guests, serving cocktails, beer, and wine all for free! The breakfast was also well-stocked and they even provided a cook-to-order service, also for free (just like any other Embassy Suites). All in all, I give this hotel high marks for location, beautiful lobby area, comfortable rooms/bedding, breakfast, and a jubilant Manager's Reception. The only low marks: $30 for parking per night (all hotels in the city will charge this) and a lukewarm shower.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side are quieter and they have balconies.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Our son is a senior at Tulane University and we have been staying at this Embassy Suites ever since we started looking at colleges when he was a sophomore in high school. We enjoy everything about this location...the people are wonderful, thoughtful and attentive. It's a great location and the suite style rooms give him a place to stay with us when we visit and he can get away from campus for a few days without all of us being in one room the whole time. The valet parking is worth the price; our car is safe & secure and the attendants know you by name (and remember it!) from the first time you meet them. The breakfast is outstanding and the atmosphere is fantastic. We prefer the Lofts rooms but if our kids were still young I would prefer the main hotel as that is where the pool, restaurant, etc. is located.
We just stayed there last weekend to move our son in for his last year at Tulane while Hurricane Isaac was working it's way up the coast and everyone down to the men hanging the sheeting over the windows when we checked out were as concerned about his preparedness and our safety as they were their own.

Room Tip: If you have small children ask to be in the main building however since we have college-age kids and...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco Bay Area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

This was our first time in New Orleans as a family and I thought this was the best place to stay as Embassy Suites are generally the same and I kinda knew what to expect. The main differences were that there was no self parking available. You had to use the hotels parking lot and you had to pay $30 a night to park there. Although you could park on the street there were meters and as we were new in town we did not want to get a ticket, we asked the dfront desk staff and none of them seemed to know how the meters worked. Several people in my famiky had handixcapped placards and they did not know if there was handicapped parking at the meters nor was there any discount for parking in the lot. To me, this seemed like something the front desk staff should know, but perhaps I was expected too much. You were given tickets when you checked in and you had to bring those rickets down to breakfast each morning. Wthout them you could not eat as they were collected by a very pleasant lady each morning. Breakfast was the usual fare, but the gentleman cook cooked grits better than the lady cook and he seemed more at ease in the kitchen than she did.

This Embassy Suites only exceeded the others in which I have stayed because of the staff. Brandon and Ricky seemed to truly liked their jobs and if they did not they were really good at faking it. They were knowledgeable, personable, friendly and welcoming. I felt as if they were old family friends. They made the trip enjoyable with their suggestions and knowledge. The front desk staff was friendly eough but not overly so. There were two people at the concierge desk, a man and a woman. I dealt with both of them. DeMarcus (I beleive was his name) was very firendly when were were discussing the rour of the city. The lady--not so much. She managed to make me feel as if I was bothering her or that she had something better to do than answer my questions.

We did eat in the restaurant in the hotel and the food was good, but I did not know how to take our server Charles, he rolled his eyes at our questions, had a smart answer to some of our queastions and actesd like we were disturbing him, but by the end of the meal it was okay. I guess he had not encountered anyone like us in his restaurant. I will admit, we can be a handfull but I'm not sure that his behavior was okay until we had at least established some kind of relationship. It was a bit off putting at first, but all well that ends well. As I said it all turned out fine and our meal came out as we requested.

Our room was clean and while I did not pull out the couch bed (too lazy) I did sleep on the couch, it was comfortable enough. The beds, according to my family were xomfortable. There was a balcony that was attached to the room and that was nice. There was no real view to speak of.The only real complaint that I have about the room is that the curtain steing was broken and so I was unable to raise the curtain, I had to fix iy so that the light could come into the room, but not the way it was intended. The curtain had not been raised as a long time probably because the string was broken because a dust storm hit me when I tried to raise the curtain.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Byram, Mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I am a frequent visitor to New Orleans and this is my second time staying at this hotel. My first stay was for a girls weekend get-a-way with some friends. This time my boyfriend and I stayed for my birthday weekend.

Let me start by saying you can always find some pros and cons at any hotel, even 5 star ones. With that out of the way, I will begin my review. After reading the reviews the first time and prior to my most recent stay, I knew I needed to ask for an inside room and one not in the Lofts. We didn't get there until after 9pm so I was worried a king size wouldn't be available since there were several concerts and events going on that weekend. I asked for one anyway when we checked in and we were able to get one!

The room was on the 2nd floor of the main building. The hallway looked a little worn, as did the door to our room. However, inside, it was nice. The carpet was clean, furniture was clean and modern as well. Bathroom was small like most Embassy Suites, but clean. While the suite was nice and clean, it did appear a little small for what I'm used to from an Embassy. The sitting area was of a decent size, but the bedroom was small. However, we scored a room that had a door that led to a very spacious private balcony that had some chairs and a small table. Very nice! Sheets on bed were fine and room was very clean.

One of the reasons I like Embassy is because of the breakfast. The breakfast was much better this time than when I visited in December, especially the coffee! Even though they messed up my omelet order the first morning, I was still pleased with breakfast each day of our stay. However, we never went to the manager's reception, so I can't review it.

Overall, we had a nice stay and I have already made my reservations for this hotel for my trip in December.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the main building.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Franklin, Tennessee
1,275 reviews 1,275 reviews
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

The Embassy is in a great location because its near casino and the river walk.. Also, close to the WWII Museum.. The hotel over all is pretty dirty or worn. The hotel has great colors and decor throughout the building and foyer. As typical the breakfast is good at Embassy along with free drinks at happy hour.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Mississippi
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

We stayed here because of the location and because breakfast was included. We have had great experiences with Embassy Suites in the past. This one doesn't measure up. The carpeting in our room was filthy. The sofabed was dirty and way past it's prime. We called for extra towels (4 towels for 6 people in our suite even though we had already requested extra towels prior to check in). 2 hours later still no towels. It took 3 calls to get them and by that time I was irate. With small children you can't put off bedtime waiting on housekeeping. The room had 2 full size beds, not queen beds. We paid for internet access and then found out you have to pay for each computer hooked to it, not one fee for the room. I've never had this problem in other hotels. With 4 kids with internet devices that was unacceptable. The breakfast was really great. Good variety. The cocktails and snacks in the evenings would have been nice, but the lines were very long. My advise is to stay elsewhere. I would have given it one star, but the breakfast was a good feature.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Embassy Suites New Orleans-Convention Center? Share your experiences!