“I didn't know what a beignet was but now I know!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #159 of 1,606 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: American, Bakery, French, Café
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
“I didn't know what a beignet was but now I know!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

Delicious beignet, with sugar on top. The cafe au lait was also spectacular. Only thing is that the floor is full of sugar, I suppose they clean only once a day...

• 5 of 5 stars Food

76% Recommend
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Valley Forge, Pennsylvania
“Beignets and cafe au laits!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I love historical things. And as beautiful/historical as parts of New Orleans is, what made it for me was sitting in this nostalgic cafe, eating beignets and drinking a cafe au lait. When I return to New Orleans (for I surely will) this will be the first place I go for a good beignet!

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Houston, Texas
“It's all about the location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

This might not be the most popular opinion; however, I have to tell you that I don't care for anything this restaurant serves. The coffee doesn't taste good to me. I like my coffee very strong, sweetened with raw sugar, and lightened with just a dab of heavy cream. This is not possible at Cafe du Monde, where you can get your coffee either black or served with milk (not cream), alias "cafe au lait." Then you can add white refined sugar to it. The net effect is similar to what I drank when I was six years old. Order it black, and the only thing you can add to it is sugar, because they do not offer cream or half-and-half on the side. This is unfortunate. Now, the beignets. They are fine. They are better when dipped into the coffee. Since I've cut down on fried white flour, I can eat only a couple of bites of one of these things; my husband can have the rest. Okay, you get it that I'm not wild about the limited fare served here. So why do I even bother? Because there is nothing else in New Orleans like the experience of sitting under that green-striped awning watching the constant flow of passersby, a veritable melange of society. It's highly entertaining and especially delightful when it starts to rain.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
Dwight, Illinois
“Gotta stop for cafe au lait and beignets!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

You haven't visited NOLA without stopping for these yummy treats! Service is haphazard, patio is crowded with tourists, but the little fried pastries slathered in powdered sugar and served toasty warm as so good - who cares? Don't visit NOLA without trying these local ledgends!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“A NOLA must, hangover cure, and growing addiction”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I went to Cafe du Monde after a great night in the French Quarter. We had forgotten we can't party like we did in our 20's so were paying the price. We hit the cafe and got done string coffee, bengets, and hot chocolate for good measure. It. Was. Heaven. Grease and caffeine while soaking in the history and atmosphere helped fuel us for another day of sight seeing. We stopped by the next morning as a treat!!! It's not luxurious, but it's iconic and fun. Enjoy it for what it is: unique!

• Visited October 2012