“Hot, fluffy beignets” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cafe Du Monde

Cafe Du Monde
800 Decatur St, New Orleans, LA 70116-3306 (French Quarter)
(504) 581-2914
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #150 of 1,515 Restaurants in New Orleans
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Dining on a budget, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Takeout
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Kingman, Arizona
“Hot, fluffy beignets”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We ate at both Cafe Du Monde and Cafe Beignet and found the beignets here to be better. They are lighter and not as large. The food was also a tiny bit cheaper.

The service was something else. We laugh at it now but at the time I sat there with my mouth open. It all started when I order milk to drink. The waitress said "okay, Cafe Au Lait." I said no, milk. She repeated Cafe Au Lait. Once again I said no, milk. She gave up at that point and handed me the napkin holder that had the menu on the side and said "point". I pointed to the milk and she left. Time came for our order. My husband and I both had ordered beignets. She started to put an order in front of me. She looks over at my husband and crosses her arms and puts the plate that she was going to give me in front of my husband. When we looked at our plates we noticed that my husband had three nice fluffy beignets in front of him while I now had 1 fluffy one and two flat ones. I guess I didn't rate the first class beignets.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
“Yummy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

You have to go to Cafe Du Monde when in New Orleans. Can't be missed. Go at off hours and you will have shorter wait. It is a busy place.

Visited October 2012
King City, Missouri, United States
“A French Quarter destination.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

A travel tradition. The Cafe Du Monde is as great as it's fame. It's always a treat with good coffee and tasty beignets, fair service, and great people watching. A return favorite in the French Quarter.

• Visited November 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
NewYork
“Cafe du Monde on Riverwalk”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

There is a Cafe du Monde within the Riverwalk Shops. Although it does not have any atmosphere (as you are inside a Mall) nonetheless, the beignets were fabulous and the coffee to die for. (I drink de-caf and yet, because it also has chickory in the blend -- it was a great cup of coffee.) As they say, do not wear a black top when eating those beignets as all that confectionary sugar is all over the place. Very, very yummy. You can sit outside on the deck with a view of the River instead of inside the mall. Think it was 3 beignets for $2.50.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“It was just ok.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

We thought the beignets were pretty tasty but you definitely have to develop a taste for their coffee because it is very strong! I had the frozen cafe au lair and loved it but my husband had the coffee black and couldn't drink it. The wait time was a little long and the cashier at the take-out window seemed disinterested in the customers.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere