“Great New Orleans Experience” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   1415 Prytania St., New Orleans, LA 70130   |
Ranked #31 of 144 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Boston, MA
“Great New Orleans Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2007

I stayed at C.G. for three weeks while doing volunteer work in the city. I could not have asked for a more friendly, convenient, and enjoyable place to stay.

Uly, the property manager, generously made arrangements that allowed me stay at C.G. while keeping within my budget; there is no way that I could have made the trip and done volunteer work without his help. Andi, the resident chef, greeted me with a hug each morning, and always cooked up a great breakfast. People came to C.G. from all over the country both to volunteer and to visit, and it was a joy to meet all of them in the courtyard and breakfast room.

If you are looking for an authentic New Orleans experience and want to surround yourself with friendly people, this is the place to be. I can't wait to go back.

Stayed January 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2007

Not only have I had the pleasure of staying in this wonderful spot, I have personally booked rooms for friends and business partners at this location. The staff is amazing, the rooms clean and comfortable and there is no better way to greet the morning than with coffee and breakfast in the cozy dining room. Stay away from the big, faceless hotels and make your time here a true New Orleans experience at the Creole Gardens.
B. Dykes - NOLA and beyond...

Stayed January 2007
Louisville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2006

...if you are planning for an extended stay in New Orleans. It is very centrally located and the rates are reasonable. The Bordello rooms are very nicely decorated and the staff works hard to respond to your needs.

The breakfasts served are also the best.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Bed was squeaky.
  • Stayed December 2006
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Jacksonville, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2006

My husband and I are big b&b fans and we love New Orleans. We try to stay in a different b&b every time we go,but after staying at the Creole Gardens, we may have found a permanent spot!

We have seen the CG website before and have always been curious about it. We e-mailed Uly (the owner) to tell him our budget and to see if he had a room within that range. He offered us one of the best rooms in the inn at a very generous discount.

It was just too good to be true, but got even better when we checked in and got to see the room. It was stunning! A huge, COMFY king size poster bed, a claw-foot tub and beautiful antiques everywhere. Charlotte gave us the grand tour and you can tell she takes a lot of pride in the house. We even discovered a few goodies that Uly had snuck into our room when we had gone out. We had champagne on the roof top, overlooking the city and a great view of the newly restored Superdome. We would have loved to have had breakfast there, but unfortunately I got sick and we had to leave early, which bums us out because Charlotte bragged a lot about the pancakes and grits. Sigh.

Of course, when I told Uly I wasn't feeling good, he rushed to get me a cup of hot tea. It's just little details like this that make this place so special. You really do feel like a family member.

We will certainly be back and I have already started telling all my coworkers and friends about this gem!

• Liked — can't choose 1 thing!
  • Disliked — neighborhood
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2006

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Creole Gardens and it's wonderful people! Initially drawn to it by the sheer beauty of the house, it's gorgeous rooms, and the lush courtyard, it felt like home away from home to me from the very first visit, and I've stayed there several times over the past years. It's the best place with the sweetest people ever, and they always make sure that every visit is a special treat. Whatever you need, you got it - This is Naw'lins, baby! And, yes, I've had my very own ghost experience when I stayed in Cottage room #4 a little while ago ... I was sitting on my bed one night, and my cell phone was lying on a sidetable on the other side of the room with the cord hanging down, plugged into the wall outlet. Suddenly, I watched the cord move as if someone or something had touched it while walking by. At the same time, the temperature in the room dropped significantly, and I felt a cool breeze. Nothing else happened, though, and we concluded that it was probably a cat's ghost that hasn't found it's eternal rest yet. But ghost sighting or not, a stay at the Creole Gardens is a true and enchanting New Orleans experience, and I can't wait to be back there again hopefully very soon!

Sabine, San Francisco, CA

• Liked — very friendly and attentive staff; convenient location; beautiful place
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Johannesburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2006

I've just returned from a visit to New Orleans where I stayed four nights at the Creole Gardens Bed & Breakfast, located very conveniently two blocks down from St Charles Avenue in the Lower Garden District. The Downtown area and the French Quarter lies to the one side, and the Garden District proper on the other, and a 15 to 20 minute walk puts you within easy reach of both. (And if, like me, you are a connoisseur of 19th century architecture, you really won't mind walking! I'm also pleased to report that most of the fabulous buildings in those areas seem to have weathered Katrina with little or no adverse effect.)

Being on a budget, I chose the least expensive option offered, a $99-a-night 'cottage'. This provided a comfortable second floor room with attached bathroom. I had a bed, couch and wardrobe (the latter a bit funky but still serviceable), and a dresser, toliet and shower-bath - in short, all the essentials. Everything worked and the place was clean. I did wonder how that small space would cope with NOLA's notorious summertime heat but there is large fan mounted right over the bed! In November, however, the weather was cool and one night I even needed an additional blanket.

The real glory of the Creole Gardens are the breakfasts, produced by Annie, a warm friendly woman who calls everyone "baby" and who takes a real pride in her cooking. She will cook anything and everything you want to your order, and is genuinally concerned that you walk away well satisfied. If like myself you now live outside the US but still get those terrible unrequited longings for an old fashioned, high carb start to the day, Annie's breakfasts are a Southern-style ultimate. Grits ( a particular favorite of mine which are simply unobtainable in most locations), biscuits, hash browns, hotcakes, eggs, bacon, fruit, coffee and all the rest....yum, yum, yum!

connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2006

Creole meets Caribbean..gracious and charming rooms
have stayed there 4 times..each room is unique in spirit and decor. Perfectly situated between French quarter and Magazine street. The best of both worlds without the noise and smell of beer. You need not look any farther..

The B&B has a wonderful spirit and the manager makes you feel at home...New Orleans..style
great recommendations. from the local places to the 4 star...just tell him the mood and price point you want and you will be put in the right direction
also the bestnight sleep I had in weeks...great beds

• Liked — ccharming unique and spacious rooms..different themes..l
  • Disliked — can't think of anything..freate rooms
  • Tips/Secrets — get recommendations form the manager
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Creole Gardens Guesthouse Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!