“Like Staying with a Family!” 4 of 5 stars

Creole Gardens Guesthouse Bed & Breakfast
1415 Prytania St., New Orleans, LA 70130   |
Ranked #35 of 145 New Orleans B&B and Inns
A TripAdvisor Member
“Like Staying with a Family!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2005

We stayed in Cottage #4 for 4 nights in May, 2005, coinciding with Memorial Day Weekend. On arrival, John welcomed us and assisted us with our luggage to our room which was on the upper level of the slaves' quarters at the back of the guesthouse. Location is 1 block from St. Charles Streetcar and Magazine Street architectural treasures. St. Charles Tavern was a real find. We didn't experience any ghostly apparitions but we did feel a bit unbalanced on the slightly sloping floor. We found Rhonda and Annie to be a delight with their genuine hospitality and kindness. We met Uly after 2 days and liked his humour. All in all, a true experience away from the big hotels in Nawlins.

Stayed May 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
horn lake, mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2005

I had never stayed at a B & B until this visit to New Orleans but wanted
the historical aspect of the city since the kids went too. I may never stay at a "regular hotel" again ! Beginning with lots of questions about the facilities
via e-mail and phone and ending with a last minute change in travel dates, the staff could not have been more accomodating.
The Creole Gardens is just a block off the ST. Charles streetcar route so getting around could not have been easier. If you need a break from the French Quarter there are several resturants very close by.The buildings have been updated without losing the charm of the 1800's.After talking to Andy (one of the owners) I realized that there had been a lot of research to find out as much as possible about the history of the mansion and it's original owner. Somehow this makes the atmosphere more real since they have tried to maintain that.
We had been online and knew that Creole Gardens is reputed to have a ghost or two so my teenagers were hoping we would see one.When we checked in we were told about a few sightings during the renovation but we saw nothing out of the ordinary.(Maybe next trip)
I can't say enough about how nice the staff was. Being from Mississippi, we are used to Southern hospitality. Creole Gardens really does a fabulous job of making you feel welcome. They go out of the way to help with tips on getting around or something extra for the room. Annie's kitchen with a good breakfast to start the day and always a "hello" made you feel like you were at home. Our next trip will be when it is a little cooler so we can enjoy the courtyard between the properties where guests gather and visit.
I don't think you could go wrong staying here and getting to know these people!

Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2005

The facilities were very nice at the neon-pastel coated Creole Gardens, but that doesn’t really matter, 99% of all bed and breakfasts have nice facilities. The variables which make or break a B&B experience are the people, and here, Creole Gardens passes with flying colors. If you relish emersion in the lost art of the gift of gab this is your Mecca. I’d gladly lodge in a urine soaked cardboard box in Omaha if I knew I’d awake to the wonderful personalities that inhabit Creole Gardens. Luckily, I need not go to such extremes. Creole Gardens is a fabulous place with terrific people. You’d be so lucky as to have an opportunity to stay there.

• Stayed July 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2005

Always having had a preference for Bed & Breakfast's during my holidays, I decided to book for the first time a B&B for a business trip to New Orleans. The problem with B&B's is that you don't know what you get as there is no 'Hilton-standard' for this type accomodation.

After staying at Creole Gardens in the Big Easy, there could be one. The place, located in the Garden District, still breathes the atmosphere of the mid-nineteenth century, although it has been thoroughly renovated.

Don't expect - at least the single room I stayed in - the luxury of a hotel room . However, there are other rooms which are outfitted with all the modcons. Check out their internet-site for more info.

The best asset of Creole Gardens, however, is not the furniture, the showers, tv-channels or other 'dead' stuff. It is the people that make CG truely a place worth a visit.

There's Annie, who cooks up a lovely breakfast and always has a nice word for you, and Uly and John at the reception desk. They all have made me feel so much at home in Nawlinz. As a result, my homesickness has been kept to a minimum.

In the end, it is the human factor that counts. Impersonal hotels are not my scene. If you share this opinion, go visit Creole Gardens and experience Southern hospitality with a capital H.

Thornton, Colo.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2005

We just wanted to say how delighted we were with our stay at Creole Gardens,It was everything we had hoped it would be! The entire staff was so nice, accomadating and made us feel like family. Every morning we would awake to a wonderful full southern style breakfast ample in portions and flavor (my husband is now spoiled and is still talking about it to anyone who will listen)
There is an overall feeling of comfort and ease in the rooms and in the relaxing courtyard. This B&B has so much character and history. It was a hilight of our trip to New Orleans! We also loved the proximity to everthing which was streetcar or within walking distance. We will definetly recommend this B&B to all our friends and hope to stay again real soon.

P.S. Our 5 year old loved it too, she felt very welcome.

The Nelsons

Dallas, texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2005

My husband and I decided to get away from the kids for a weekend. I just happened to hit Creole Gardens website and decided this was the place. We had a wonderful time in the bordello annex. We loved the breakfast! On the way home he surprised my by asking, "when can we come back and stay in our room at the Creole Gardens?".The staff was extremely helpful. Thank you guys, once again. See ya next year.

• Stayed May 2005
Atlanta Metro
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2005

Stayed there during large convention last fall.

Good Points: Excellent location, helpful staff, renovated cottages, made-to-order breakfast, courtyard, free DSL (bring your own cords), general atmosphere.

Bad Points: Wierd shower configuration (no space and shower head pointed at shower curtain), after 3 days same offering for breakfast got a bit boring (switched to cereal), some rooms are very small and dark (friend had small older bordello room), noise factor from guests in courtyard or neighbors, room heater loud, tv reception poor, no where to sit inside the room besides bed.

I think I stayed in Cottage room #5.

So....I loved some things....and didn't care for others.....overall I think I would stay there again if I had a larger remodeled room.

• Stayed November 2004, traveled on business

Been to Creole Gardens Guesthouse Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!