“It's all good...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Vero Beach, Florida
“It's all good...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2009

One of things I’ve learned about spending time in New Orleans is one had better “check their attitude” before you arrive. If you’re in a hurry, place expectations that are pristine or hold prejudice of any type…don’t go. The Frenchmen is authentic old New Orleans and possesses none of the aforementioned. Located one block downriver of the French Quarter in the Faubourg Marigny it serves as a resting spot for an array of interesting people. This hotel does not pretend to be anything other that what it is. If you’re looking for shiny chrome pretties, new carpet smell, polished glass, and a doorman, The Frenchmen isn’t for you. We had a king suite, room 300. The room is huge, about 800 square feet. Complete with full sized refrigerator, (no ice maker) double sink and microwave in the kitchen. The dining area can accommodate six people. Separated from the living and dining area is the bedroom with highboy king bed, dresser, armoire with television and bedside nightstand. There is a small, uncovered shared balcony with table and chairs overlooking Frenchmen Street off the bedroom. In the evenings music from several of the near by clubs can be heard from the balcony. The living area is complete with large sofa that can become a full-sized bed, armoire with television, comfortable wing chairs and coffee table. The décor is Victorian throughout. Room 300 faces west and has two glass pane doors to the balcony. The Frenchmen is an ideal hotel for location and budgets. There is secured, covered but limited parking on site with a fee of $15.00 per day. Public parking is nearby at a cost of $20.00 per day, non-event. You’ll find a lovely courtyard with small, clean pool and hot tub as well as a large sun deck on the rooftop. Hot coffee and simple continental breakfast is available in the small, quaint lobby. All in all this is our kind of hotel…simple, comfortable, convenient, and affordable and we’ll stay there again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2009

We stayed at the Frenchmen through a deal offered by Bookit.com. The hotel was small but charming. It is composed of two old Creole townhouses that have been linked together. There is a center courtyard with a very small pool and even smaller hot tub. It is used a lot by smokers who are not allowed to smoke in the rooms, but is a nice place to meet your fellow guests. The rooms are very small, on the advice of this site we booked a loft suite and even it was pretty tiny. My primary complaint was that there was no place to store folded clothes like swimsuits, t-shirts and undies. There were very few hangers in the closet, but as soon as we asked for some more they brought them. The air conditioner worked well, since the bed is on the upper level we needed it even in April. It is located just on the corner of the French Quarter, so it was quiet but still within easy walking distance of everything. It is just steps from the Riverfront Streetcar and not far at all from the French Market. I had some difficulty signing on to their wireless internet and they actually called their computer consultant to come over and help me! The continental breakfast on Mon-Wed is just toast and cereal, but on Thurs-Sun they bring in fresh pasries that are excellent. I would recommend, since the hotel is relatively inexpensive, booking the largest suite they have if you intend on spending any time in your room. The staff were friendly, knowledgeable, and gave great advice on places to go and things to do. I did discover, on the day before we were to check out, that the "design" on the tile floor was actually a significant layer of dirt! (I dropped some ice cubes and used one of the towels to pick them up so we wouldn't slip - it came up black!) However, if we had asked them to send someone to clean it up I am sure they would have been cooperative.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
negaunee, mi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2009

My daughter and I stayed during her spring break and had a wonderful time. We walked into the courtyard and she got very excited right away saying that it was like a big dollhouse. Had a loft room which was perfect for the two of us. Had room to move around and store our stuff. My husband came down for the last two nights and we had less room when we had to pull the couch out, but it was comfortable enough. The bathroom was older, but didn't expect much more. Everything was clean, the bed was comfy and the staff was friendly and helpful. Location was perfect for us - we walked everywhere. Breakfast was minimal, but just right for starting the day. Made new friends at the pool in the evenings. Even managed to have some wine on the beautiful upstairs deck, which no one else seemed to use. Already planning on doing the same next year.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Denver
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2009

This should have been a great hotel but so much went wrong. It is in a great location- one block from the Quarter and on a great funky street with great little clubs. First, we got a room right on the street (#302). It was so noisy. I would not get Room #101 either since it is right on the street too. The room has 2 large stained glass windows (without curtains) that let in the street lights, you could read by the light at night. The bathroom fan did not work and we reported the malfunction every day and the clerks acted surprised each time. Bathroom was grungy and mildewy everywhere. When we got there the bathroom had USED soap in it and i seriously doubt it had really been cleaned between guest visits. The maid made the bathroom dirtier every time she came. I had to 'mop up' the dirt, hair, etc. she tracked in each day with my used towel each day. The one blessing was not seeing cockroaches or getting bitten by bed bugs. The towels give 'battleship gray' a new meaning. The Continental breakfast is highly exaggerated on the website. The staff acted like I was insane when I asked for just ONE luggage stand (didn't have anything to put your suitcase on). Also acted like I was crazy when I asked for a chair (there was only one- room was a double queen). You have to be blind drunk to appreciate this room.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Mississauga, Ont.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2009

Booked our reservations through BookIt. Loved the hotel - not your usual 'cookie-cutter' type of hotel. Our room was a loft style - our daughter slept on the sofa on the main level. She found it lumpy, but she's 15 - she'll get over it. Our queen size bed was upstairs - very soft, but comfy. No problems with the sheets.

The location was ideal - across the street from the French Quarter. We found it to be an easy walk to anywhere we wanted to go. We never had any concerns about safety when walking anywhere at night. The hotel seems to be well locked down at night, with a gate in front of the parking lot.

Breakfast choices included toast, hot cereal, cold cereal, donuts, coffee, tea and juice. Pretty much what I would have at home. No fruit - but you can always go out and buy some.

The staff was friendly and accommodating.

We would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a comfortable hotel, somewhat off-beat and off the beaten path.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2009

My husband and I decided to stay at The Frenchmen for our 1 year anniversary/honeymoon. We booked through Book It, and got a great rate. Staying the week of St Patty's Day, some hotels tripled their rates for St Patrick's Day, so we decided to give the Frenchmen a chance. Our first day, we had a room on the second floor. Nice room, VERY small bathroom, but nice room. We spoke to the front desk, and requested to be moved to the first floor, due to some health issues that make it difficult for me to climb the stairs. Clark, the one man show, was SO gracious about it! First thing the next morning, there was a room waiting for us on the first floor. We moved into the room, which had a big closet and a bigger bathroom.... and it was right next to the courtyard, so it was very convenient to the pool and hot tub. We'd read in the reviews that the sheets were scratchy, so we brought a set from home... but we never bothered to use them. We didn't have any problems with the comfort level of the bed OR the sheets. We had a light bulb out in the closet of our second room, and the maintenance man showed up within minutes of requesting that it be fixed. The cleaning staff was incredibly nice, and Clark....the front desk guru... was AMAZING. I don't know what he gets paid, but I'm betting it's not enough!! The entire staff was very accommodating, and incredibly friendly. The other guests were wonderful... and although the breakfast was small... it was plenty to get you started in the mornings.

We didn't venture out onto Frenchmen St much, because I'm a Bourbon Street music lover. That's where we spent most of our evenings. Days were spent by the pool at the hotel, and nights were spent on Bourbon St. Speaking of which... the Sing Sing bar. GO THERE. Wed - Sat nights, there is a house band called The Sing Sing Trustees. AMAZING!!! The lead singer, Queen Pleshette, had a voice that left me speechless. If you like Aretha, Patti Labelle, and Etta James.... this is the place for you! Trust me folks, you won't regret it. Typically, I hate when people sing Aretha's stuff.... because quite honestly, they usually mess it up. Not this lady! It's Aretha the way that Aretha would want it done!

There is also a new restaurant on Decatur, just down from the hotel. Magnolia Grill. They've been open less than a week, but their food is REASONABLE and YUMMY!! Try their cheeseburger and fries.... very good meal for a great price.

The only negative thing I can find with staying at the Frenchmen..... the walk to Bourbon St was horrible. My husband and I didn't realize how long the walk was. With having some medical issues that make walking difficult, some nights it was MISERABLE trying to walk back to the hotel after an entire evening of walking Bourbon. We did, however, learn that if you'll walk up to the Street Car #1 stop (next to the French Market), you can grab a street car to the corner of Canal and Bourbon and save your feet alot of heartache!

All in all... our stay at the Frenchmen was very pleasant. We love New Orleans, and will certainly go back. When we do, we will check the rates at the Frenchmen. Now that we've figured out the street car trick... I can't find a NEGATIVE with this hotel.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2009

I have been to New Orleans many times, and make an effort to stay in a different hotel each trip. However, I may break my streak this summer to stay at the Frenchmen again. Since I spend the bulk of my evenings on Frenchmen St. at the music clubs, you cannot beat the location. My room was clean, any minimal encounters I had with staff were pleasant, the pool was great. The breakfast was ok by me, everything was fresh. The other guests were quite nice. I got a fabulous price, and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled solo

Been to The Frenchmen Hotel? Share your experiences!