“New Orleans experience!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Frenchmen Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in New Orleans
The Frenchmen Hotel
417 Frenchmen Street, New Orleans, LA 70116 (Marigny)   |
Ranked #30 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Winnie, Texas
“New Orleans experience!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

If you want the New Orleans experience, stay here. If you prefer modern comfort I wouldn't stay here. This hotel is New Orleans to the bone. It's old, small and small. The rooms are small and the bathrooms are much smaller. This is New Orleans!
If you want a true New Orleans hotel, this is it! No commercialism, no convenience, just neat, quaint, what it was like in the late 1800's. Courtyard hotel right in the French quarter. Would I stay here again? You bet! It's neat! Would I stay here every visit to New Orleans? No way! Sometimes I want to stay in modern comfort!
As always... I hope this review helps someone.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
ChucLav, Manager at The Frenchmen Hotel, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
What a great review. You have got to be a seasoned traveler. We appreciate your time and your eye. We do strive to be Naturally New Orleans (to use the words of a recently deceased New Orleans commentator) and we are gratified to be recognized for providing such. We cannot wait to see when you next find yourself in need of some New Orleans immersion.

348 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
La Jolla, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

This is a terrific boutique hotel for the following reasons location, the rooms, staff and the restaurants and bars on Frenchmen street. Location: five minutes from the Bourbon, cafe du mode, french market,and Jackson brewery. Rooms: standards, nice size bathrooms, comfy bed, every morning continental breakfast,Staff: friendly, efficient, helpful. I arrived after midnight and the gentlemen checked me in very quickly so I could go straight to bed. Another helped me a few days later when I had trouble printing my boarding pass. Restaurant: I highly recommend Adolfo's and Elizabeth's is a big plus. I will definitely visit the Frenchmen again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
ChucLav, Manager at The Frenchmen Hotel, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Thank you so much. We love our location and could not be happier that you find the staff helpful and pleasant. It's our goal to make our guest feel at home and to ensure, as much as possible, a truly positive experience of our hotel and our city. We are looking very much forward to seeing you again.
Beaumont, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

This hotel is very old and it needs some serious work. We were in room 107 which has not been updated in years.

There is some good news. The location is pretty good. A two block walk to the streetcar stop. From there you can go to most of the major locations in the city. The Bourbon Street tourist area is a very short walk. Frenchmen street is a more "locals" area with some good places to eat, drink and listen to music.

But, this is not a "boutique" hotel. It is just old. The TV was a 15" CRT that had a remote that did not work. The furniture was just plain old. The bathroom was missing floor tiles and the rest of the tiles were either painted at some point or were really dirty. The wall where the shower curtain rod was has a hole in the plaster. The wall paint is chipped and was the victim of a terrible paint job. The shower is a tub with a shower head that barely works, there are no grab rails and it seems dangerous. There is a bar right next door where the band plays outside really loud and really late.

"Breakfast" is some bagels and cereal. Coffee is also available.

This could be a cute and comfortable place with a large amount of money and work.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
ChucLav, Manager at The Frenchmen Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Thank you for the review. We appreciate all feedback. We are indeed putting a lot of work into the hotel and the money that goes with it. We're sorry your experience wasn't what we hope to provide. The rooms are being done one at a time and being given the attention that you pointed out they have been lacking. The hotel's new owner wants to make sure that the details of each room are attended to completely. We hope that you give us another chance soon.
Lima, Peru
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

A well known and superbly located old hotel founded in the late 1800. Its right on The French Quarter, one block away from all the action.
Small rooms and even smaller bathrooms, but clean.
It has a heated pool
Service is great and cost is fair

• Stayed November 2013
ChucLav, Manager at The Frenchmen Hotel, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
What a nice thing to do, posting about us. We appreciate it. It is nice to hear such an astute observation as we do rather pride ourselves on being perfectly located. I'll let the housekeeping staff know that you appreciated the cleanliness. Hope to see you soon.
philly
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

I found the Frenchmen through Tripadvisor reviews, so I'm adding my own. The property is located on the right street if you like music. And the pool is wonderful. The non-loft rooms are small, and the bathroom was the size of my (small) bathroom at home. This is absolutely not a complaint, as I enjoyed my stay and thought the price was reasonable, but it may be helpful to some Tripadvisor readers to know. The courtyard is beautiful and I felt everything was very clean. Unfortunately, and I imagine my experience was not typical as I didn't read anything like it in all of the reviews I saw, the hotel ran out of towels during my stay. Ran out. None. With 2 people in a small bathroom (and no good place to hang towels to dry) and a pool, we went through our towels pretty quickly. I don't mind re-using a towel at home, but I don't like to do that in a hotel (especially since a small bathroom leaves you no place to air things out, as I said). I even checked the towel storage chest at the pool, but there were none there. And since I'd already taken our wet towels out of the room to the pool hamper, I literally had no towels left. This, to me, is inexcusable. Not so much that it happens (allegedly a dryer broke, and when you have housekeepers who aren't on site all day--nor should they be--there may be some confusion about who has been alerted to a problem) but there seemed no mechanism in place to FIX the problem once it happened. I'd ask one person about towels, but then get no towels, and ask the next person who said: What, we have no towels? At one point I thought: listen, someone needs to drive to the Walmart and buy 20 towels already! So, I wouldn't encourage anyone to stay away from the Frenchmen b/c of this experience, as I think it's a great place to stay, overall, but I do want to be sure to offer this feedback to the hotel mgmt. Problems happen, but recovery is key!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
ChucLav, Manager at The Frenchmen Hotel, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us. We appreciate all feedback. We are actively looking for ways to increase our guests experience so more towels it is. We hope to you back again soon.
Lexington, KY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Let me begin by saying that I have stayed in “boutique” hotels in other large cities, so I expected smaller rooms, dated décor, etc. And although I feel that the Frenchmen could make some updates (neater paint, hang curtain rods so that they are not slanted, fix the hole in the wall behind the door, replace the missing smoke detector) to improve the overall look of the establishment, that’s not really what upset me about my stay at the Frenchmen. All those items could easily be overlooked and dismissed (or repaired). We had a large group that traveled to the hotel for a friend’s birthday. We had at least five rooms at the hotel, and I believe most people were satisfied with their rooms. The other rooms that I visited throughout the weekend seemed just fine. Unfortunately, I can only review the room that I was given and the service I received. I booked the room (a “suite”) online several months in advance. There was apparently a glitch and my credit card was not charged. I noticed the error when I received the confirmation email so I immediately called and had the situation corrected. I spoke with Kenesha and she was very helpful and very nice. I confirmed with her that two married couples would be sharing this room and she assured me that the room had adequate space and accommodations for four adults. I called back a few weeks later and extended our stay to three nights. Again, the staff was super helpful and I once again confirmed with them that this room was to house four adults for the time frame requested. I was again assured that it was adequate. The website indicated that there was a queen size bed in the loft and a sofa bed in the downstairs area. My husband and I volunteered to sleep on the sofa bed since the other female in our group was six months pregnant during our stay. I’ve never slept on a sofa bed that wasn’t uncomfortable, so we prepared ourselves. What we did not expect upon our check in was a room that had a queen bed in the loft and a very small faux leather futon in the downstairs area. When the futon was unfolded it was perhaps almost as wide as a full size mattress, but was not even long enough for my 5’7” height. My husband is almost 6’3”. (I have included a picture of my brother who is approximately 6’1” lying on the futon in our room). With the futon, we were provided one pillow and one blanket, no sheets of any kind. I immediately went down to the front desk and advised that the room we booked was supposed to have a sofa bed, not a futon. The girl at the front desk then very robotically repeated to me several times that my room indeed had a “sofabedfuton.” I agreed that my room had a futon, but explained that I do not believe a sofa bed and futon to be the same thing. Never at any point did she say “I’m sorry that you’re unhappy” or acknowledge my complaint in any way. She just repeated that a “sofabedfuton” was in my room. So, I decided to give her an out and make my own suggestion as to how she could fix this situation. I told her that I would use the futon if she could provide my husband with a cot for no additional charge. She then advised me that she would check to see if she could find a cot for me, but that there would be a daily charge. At this point I admit that I became so frustrated that I was rude. I asked her if I could speak to her manager. She said he wasn’t there. Another guest then showed up to check in and she showed them inside. She came back to the counter where I was waiting to leave my number for the manager and she just stared at me. I asked again if she could have the manager call me. At that point the phone was ringing. She turned away from me and answered the phone. I was so frustrated that I picked up a pen and wrote my cell number across the top of our receipt which was still lying on the counter and slammed the pen down. Management, please pull the receipt and verify this if you need to. I have never encountered such poor customer service in my life. I’m sure she is a very nice girl, but she could benefit from some training in basic customer service skills. I went back to my room and fumed for a while. Finally, another front desk worker called our room. I explained the situation to him and he robotically recited the “your room has a sofabedfuton” line. I told him I’d heard that before and he confirmed that that’s what management had told them to say in this situation. I let him know that the website very clearly stated “sofa bed,” not “sofabedfuton.” I did not get his name, but he was much nicer and acknowledged my complaint and advised he would discuss with a manager ASAP. He was calm and helpful despite the fact that I was almost belligerently angry at this point. As I mentioned earlier, we went into this with expectations on the low end of the spectrum. But I feel that the hotel’s website and staff misrepresented this room both on the website and in my phone conversations with them. This room is NOT adequate for two adult couples. Since every hotel room in the city was booked the weekend we were there, we had little choice but to stay at the Frenchmen at that point. The young man I spoke with on the phone was able to bring us a queen size air mattress to use during our stay and did not charge us extra for it. The air mattress was fine and probably ended up being more comfortable than a sofa bed, but I do not like being mislead about what I am purchasing. A few other issues we encountered…..The sheets that accompanied the air mattress were stained and housekeeping did not change them during our three day stay. We also had to ask for the correct number of towels every day. Despite booking a room for four people and reminding the front desk of this, we never had four of anything left in our room. And they never left the same number of towels/washcloths. We also ran out of Kleenex and bottled water the first night and neither was ever replaced. I think it may help the housekeeping staff to be provided a checklist of items to replenish and restock. We also had a gigantic waterbug type critter visit us the last morning of our stay (pics provided). I understand that NOLA is swampy and buggy, so I tried not to be super freaked out about it. My suite mates confirmed that it was NOT a roach, so that was comforting. We also found out when we returned to the hotel that first evening that the front door requires a passcode. Everyone else in our party received the code at check in, but it was not mentioned to us, nor were we provided any wi-fi information. At the end of the futon issue, the manager was willing to speak with me, but I did not feel like dedicating any more of my celebration weekend to the “sofabedfuton” issue. I wanted to move past it and enjoy the time with friends and family. I REALLY wanted to like this place. It was recommended to me by friends and the location is awesome. Other people mentioned the noise, but room 212 is in the back. We could hear the music and talking, but it wasn’t loud enough to keep any of us from sleeping. This place has SO much going for it, and some of the stuff above may seem nit-picky, but when you combine all these little problems and inconveniences with the “sofabedfuton” issue, it made for a really unpleasant stay. As I mentioned at the beginning, others in our party had great experiences with both their rooms and the staff. Since I can only base my review on my own personal experience I, unfortunately, cannot recommend that anyone stay in the loft suite at the Frenchmen Hotel.

Room Tip: Queen loft suite will not comfortably sleep 4 adults
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
We do apologies for any inconvenience. There was a sofabed in that room when you booked it. Unfortunately that furniture was damaged by guests at some time between your booking and your arrival. The futon was a hasty compromise. I'm afraid the agent with whom you dealt was new to the property and didn't have the experience to deal with an issue of that magnitude. We do hope that you will give us a chance at some point in the future to provide you with the experience that the other members of your group seemed to have had. Again, our apologies.
Tinley Park, Il
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

This hotel does not honor reservations made on their website. I booked a suite online (using my credit card to guarantee it) for 3 nights and received a confirmation number from the hotel. I received an email from them 12 hours later, in the middle of the night, saying that the room type that I booked was not available for all 3 nights but that I could switch to another room type for the third night. I responded via email that I really needed two beds which was why I booked the suite in the first place and asked if they could accommodate this request. In the middle of the night, I received another email telling me that now the hotel was fully booked for the third night. They then had the audacity to ask if I still wanted to book the first two nights. I simply cannot understand why they would not hold a room for me when I gave them a credit card and received a confirmation number. I emailed them that this was completely unprofessional and that I would not be staying with them. I received no response at all. I guess customer service is not their strong suit.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
ChucLav, Manager at The Frenchmen Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
We must apologies for any confusion. Our website sends a confirmation of reservation request and the credit card is not attached unless the room is guaranteed so please know that we wouldn't effect your card. It does sometimes happen that a room type will go very quickly, especially if there is some sort of event going on in the city at that time. Given that we sell a great many of our rooms over the phone it sometimes happens that the website can lag a little in its inventory correctness. We are endeavoring to find a solution to this issue. We do apologies for any inconvenience that this may have caused and hope that you'll try us again.

Been to The Frenchmen Hotel? Share your experiences!