“Do not stay here (Room 202)” 2 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #38 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Greenwood, Mississippi
“Do not stay here (Room 202)”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

Recently stayed here with my daughter who was having a bridal gown fitting and we wanted to stay close to the bridal shop for early am appointment. First let me say the bed was comfortable however that was the only positive. the room was filthy. Carpet had really bad large stains everywhere. The room itself was small and the windows had no view except the roof with large rusty compressors on top. We had a window unit a/c attached to the wall. Hair was all over sheets and pillowcases had make up rubs on them. the worst was when the commode did not flush. We would put on our warm ups and used the lobby bathroom. We do not eat breakfast it did look ok but we were trying to leave so fast I did not even take my morning coffee. All this for $216.00. when I told the clerk all that was wrong she just said sorry. we LEFT NEVER TO RETURN!!! I had asked for a late check out needless to say I did not want it the next morning.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Tallahassee, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2011

We have stayed there previously. Location is convenient, most front desk people are very helpful, breakfast is all right. Rooms can be noisy.

However: we were given room 209 which had its only window 3' from the restaurant exhaust system. The smell of food permeated the room. And, the A/C could not be used because it, too, was adjacent to the exhaust. We thought we would give it a try until my wife found hairs and red spots on the sheet.

The front desk lady was extremely nice and pleasant as she is always. We moved to another room that had a roll away in it. Quickly I noticed black residue appearing on the white sheets. A quick check of the A/C filter showed it must not have been changed since Katrina...........black mold was all over the filter. And, on the sheets. The bathroom was not cleaned well. Hairs were around the tub and elsewhere. In short, housekeeping is not good. Cleaning is not acceptable. We elected to stay because we were tired of moving rooms and did not want to try and find another motel. Perhaps we should have done so.

Overall, this place has "potential" but it needs a thorough cleaning as it has become mediocre Close off the room next to the restaurant exhaust. Clean the carpets and clean the rooms thoroughly.
We will try the next door Hampton Inn next visit.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Jackson, Mississippi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2011

I've stayed at this hotel three times since 2008.

Value. Especially during Mardi Gras, when this area is near parade routes, but even at other times, this hotel is more expensive than the Best Western St. Christopher (on the edge of the French Quarter). I think the biggest difference between the two is the location that you prefer. I don't want to pay more to stay in the Garden District, but I could think of people who would.

Rooms. These are a little smaller than normal and don't have work desks or in-room safes. My room faced the parking lot behind the hotel and was fairly quiet. On previous visits I didn't have a problem with noise either. I love the room decor which is bright and contemporary. It looks better than most BWs I've visited. Also, there is an extra sink next to the closet space near the door, which works well when there are multiple people in a room.

Location. It is on St. Charles with a streetcar stop almost in front of the hotel. St. Charles and its nearby areas have more good restaurants than the French Quarter IMO and the streetcar is an incredibly efficient way of getting to them. Also, the French Quarter is not walking distance from the hotel, but the streetcar takes you to Canal Street, which is the border of the Quarter. The hotel is also quite close to Loyola and Tulane Universities as well as Audubon Park/Zoo. This particular area of St. Charles is residential. It should be noted that part of the hotel is built on top of a restaurant, Superior Grill. This is convenient, but it enhances the possibility for noise. It hasn't bothered me, but I've never been in a room directly over it.

Cleanliness. The room was reasonably clean. I was there for a half-marathon and spent more time than normal in the bathroom to ice my legs. I noticed that the bathroom wasn't exactly spotless, but it wasn't anything you'd notice unless you spent 30-45 minutes in there looking around.

Service. The front desk staff struck me as nice, but in a couple of cases simply weren't able to accommodate me. I arrived around 3:15PM and my room was not ready. Since the hotel was fully booked, they couldn't give me another room. I waited in the lobby for a little more than an hour and two calls by the clerk to the housekeeper and my room still wasn't ready. The clerk agreed to hold my bag while I went next door to Superior Grill to eat dinner. I returned about 6:30PM and my room was ready. I was not the only person waiting for a room. (Throughout my stay, I noticed that housekeeping seemed to occur late in the day, about 1-4 PM. It wasn't difficult to notice because the housekeeper on our floor blasted music in the rooms she was cleaning.) Second, I asked the front desk for some information about street closures occurring that weekend and they weren't aware of them. It's a relatively minor issue, but there were multiple people asking and they never got answers.

Sleep Quality. My room was quiet and the bed relatively decent.

Notes. The surface on the second floor slopes a bit which can feel weird initially. …
They have a bookshelf with books for guests to read while there.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
Kerrville, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

We stayed at this hotel on our way to Florida. The hotel sits above a restaurant that emits a putrid smell into the rooms/hotel. We had to change rooms due to clogged toilet, then after my family was alseep, the toilet in the 2nd room clogged up! I had to go down to the lobby restroom in the middle of the night. Halls are dimly lit and closed in and somewhat "creepy", especially in the middle of night by yourself. After using the lobby restroom, I told the staff member about our 2nd room having a clogged toilet. She made me feel as if it was our fault and said something like "well, this will be our 3rd room and you're going to have to move your family". I told her my family was asleep and all I needed was a key to another room close by for bathroom use, and proceeded to explain that whether I move my family or not, it would still mean a 3rd room so why would I need to move my sleeping family? She then told me she would have to charge me for that 3rd room! I immediately asked her to call her mgr. and she did get on the phone, but to the maintenance staff who told her to give me a key to another room. Then finally I got into the 3rd room where I slept so I could be near the bathroom because I had an upset stomach. This room overlooked the roof, and I heard loud talking in the middle of the night and looked out the window and saw plumbers on the roof cleaning out some type of plumbing pipes with gloves! Disgusting! It was a terrible experience and wish we would have moved over to the Hamptom Inn next door at the first sign of trouble. Although it is in the garden district, there are many vagrants on the streets nearby and I didn't feel comfortable knowing that basically anyone off the streets could walk into the hotel lobby and into the halls where the rooms are at any time...no security or room key swiping to get into hotel required. The only positive thing I can say is that the beds were comfortable, although small since they were double beds. Rooms are pretty small too, but there is a 2nd sink area which is helpful.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2010

Delighted with our accomodations at the St. Charles Inn-right on the trolley line so you can hop on and be in the French quarter/Canal street yet enjoy a neighborhood that is quaint and close to great restaurants. My favorite things: pillows and bed very comfortable, wifi, two sinks and mirrors to accomodate folks getting ready, in room coffee maker,micro and refrigerator, parking that was convenient, secure and free, breakfast that served eggs, sausage, bagels,granola,juices,coffee and pastries. Front desk staff was friendly and a large bowl of fresh fruit- oranges, bananas, and apples set out to welcome guests at all times of the day. So many amenities-I almost forgot to mention the computer in the business office next to the lobby open for all guests, work out room and in-room safe. Great view from our room 205 ( I think) overlooking St. Charles Avenue. You will find all the comforts of home at the St. Charles. Conveniently located next door is the restaurant called the Superior Grill. We did not eat there but it has a great menu well suited for families. I recommend a little quirky restaurant called Domilise's located about 1 mile away for a shrimp or oyster po-boy. We enjoyed two great meals at restaurants located within a 1 mile radius-Clancy's and Dominiques. Other side trips via the trolley include the WWII Museum, Civil War Museum and Art Museum. Shopping along Magazine Street is fun and the Saks Fifth Avenue on Canal Street is pretty amazing too for shopping. We visited Beckham's Bookstore (vintage used book store) located on Decatur Street in the French Quarter. Lots of fun things to do in NOLA and the St. Charles is a great place to stay.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Napa, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2010

The St Charles Inn was a middle of the road place. It is at the lower end of the Best Western places. It was reasonably comfortable but not outstanding. We went for a wedding and 4 of us stayed there. The beds were fulls which was a disappointment. It would have been much nicer with queens. The breakfast was good as was the location. It was easy to get around on the street car. Around a 20 minute ride to the French Quarter. Staff was very nice except for one person. It was over the Halloween weekend so it was crazy. Maybe that was why she was not so nice or helpful.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

I liked the proximity of the trolley, right in front of the hotel. Continental breakfast was elegant, including bacon and eggs as well as cereals, waffles and fruit. Parking was convenient and free.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS St. Charles Inn? Share your experiences!