“hisotric hotel, quiet location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Soniat House

You added Soniat House to your Saves list
Soniat House
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1133 Chartres St., New Orleans, LA 70116 (French Quarter)   |
Ranked #61 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Vancouver, Canada
“hisotric hotel, quiet location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

My husband and I recently spent 3 nights at the Soniat House. It came highly regarded by a trusted friend, and I am pleased that we chose to stay there.

Room: We booked a junior suite, but was upgraded upon our arrival. Our room was across the street and overlooked a beautiful courtyard. The room itself was large, with a bedroom and living room. The size of living room could have accommodated more furniture and perhaps a larger sofa would have been nice, but the pieces themselves fit with the antique aesthetic of the property and room. The room otherwise was tastefully appointed, and the bed was comfortable and the bathtub was large and very nice. My only complaint about the room would be that the window shades should open. I understand that it may be for privacy reasons, but there were times when I wanted to see outside and not being able to made me feel a little claustrophobic. There was one large window that had drapes that could, but otherwise the room was quite dark.

Services: There is an honour bar, and good wifi. The staff was all lovely and I enjoyed chatting with them. The biscuits and coffee in the morning are a nice option, but perhaps a bit $ for what you get. Nevertheless, eating them in the courtyard was so peaceful and a great way to start the day.

Location: I loved the location. It was far away from the craziness of Bourbon, and there were some great options for food and drink nearby. Also, its proximity to Frenchmen street was perfect.

This hotel allows you to enjoy the historic aspect of the French quarter. It is not perfect, but that is what's charming about it. If you like old houses, or appreciate architecture and history then I think this would be a great choice. If you are a sucker for straight up luxury, then you may be left wanting more.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Toronto, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with a stay at Soniat House. Unless you have little regard for historic sites and genuine southern hospitality and charm. Yes, there are modern luxuries you may need to live without here (like one other reviewer, our bathroom didn't have hooks for robes!) but, really, why would you choose a modern hotel in a city such as New Orleans? That seems counter-intuitive to me. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The people here are lovely (Irvin, Calvin!) and extremely helpful - we asked so many questions about NO history and directions to here-and-there and recommendations (what's the best burger in town - Port 'O Call!) - and every question was answered. The courtyard at night is absolutely lovely - candle lit. What a treat to sit out there in the evenings.

I do agree with another reviewer that the breakfast biscuits ought to be complimentary ($12.95 per person is a bit steep). But that's a minor point.

Thanks to all who made our stay so enjoyable~

Room Tip: We were in Rm 29 (higher floor). Lovely. Not a huge room, but big enough. And very private. Loved it...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Upon entering the the doors, it felt as if we had arrived in a magical land of peace and quiet. The busyness of the street and the people didn't enter those doors at all. My husband and I spent three nights here and were elated at what we found at this perfect retreat. We had made last minute plans to elope and the only room available was the superior room recommended for the single traveler. However, the room we had (10) was plenty for us. The bed was like sleeping on a cloud, the amenities were of the highest quality and modern. We had everything we could possibly want and need. The staff was personable and very knowledgeable in every way. We felt like royalty at all times but especially while eating a scrumptious breakfast of homemade biscuits, jam, coffee and fresh squeezed orange juice each morning. Fine restaurants, music venues, and any other activity is within walking distance. It's close enough to anything you may want and need. I cannot recommend this gem of a hotel enough. It's a perfect blend of old and modern with a distinct personality and charm that's all it's own. I've been to New Orleans many times over the last 20 years and have stayed in many hotels but this one, to me is by far the very best. We plan on celebrating every anniversary here at Soniat House. Thank you for wonderful memories past and future.

Room Tip: Our room (10) was in the front of the building and we were concerned about street noise but there wa...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Collierville, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

I have stayed at the Soniat House several times since 2007, alone and with my husband. When you walk through the green doors into the courtyard, you step back into time, into a world where service and soft spoken manners were once considered de rigeur. I have stayed in two of the grand suites, #64, which is located across the street, and #28. Each one is appointed with treasures from the past, and if you enjoy soft sheets, and exquisite decor, then this is your oasis.

Wrought iron balconies, ceiling fans, the smell of creole coffee wafting up the stairs. One of New Orleans' best restaurants is just a block down the street. Located in the Quarter, you are within walking distance of just about anything your heart may desire.

The Soniat House is my retreat whenever I am in New Orleans, and I would urge anyone who appreciates the elegance of the old over the new to make sure to make this your choice of respite.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
London, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

My husband and I were celebrating our 10 year wedding anniversary having stayed at the delightful Soniat House in 2004, we wanted to return. It was all the things we remembered and more. We had a magical stay in this little idyll within the French Quarter. Our room was as gorgeous as we remember it and the team at Soniat House were so accommodating we didn't want to leave!

For a relaxing, tranquil, romantic and beautiful stay, this hotel has it in spades!

Room Tip: We have stayed on both sides (in the main hotel and the opposite building) and loved the suite that...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

I can not recommend this place enough. The Soniat House is the perfect place to stay if you are visiting the French Quarter. The room was the perfect mix of old world charm and modern day amenities. The entire staff was not only super friendly but super educated and informative of all things New Orleans. Once we got there they helped us set up tours, gave restaurant advice and let us know any special events going on. It was like having a personal vacation planner. If you stay at the Soniat House I promise you will love it.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Frances S, Owner at Soniat House, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
We look forward to your return to Soniat House, soon and often.
Mill Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

I hate to admit it, but I've stayed at Soniat House three times this year and it gets better and better.. I met a lady my age who has stayed five times this year! It's fun moving around to different rooms. I've stayed in at least six different rooms since I was in my 20's, 21 being my favorite.
There is nothing you can't love about this one of a kind hotel. Many thanks for making me feel comfortable Bill, Irvin, Edina, Scott, Jamal and Mr. Calvin.
See you next time! Kate Novak

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Frances S, Owner at Soniat House, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Oh Kate

Thank you so much for being so loyal and writing such glowing reviews. I really needed to receive this one today while I was attempting the reply to the previous reviewer.

Hurry back. We will always be here for you.

Been to Soniat House? Share your experiences!