“Fabulous place to stay right in the Quarter” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
Suite Special
Ranked #33 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Sydney, Australia
“Fabulous place to stay right in the Quarter”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We stayed 2 nights, it really feels like your living right in the French Quarter. The service is fantastic....only a couple of blocks to Jackson Square. Lovely hot biscuits each morning. Lovely cozy living room with a very complete honour bar. We enjoyed staying there so much and would go back for sure.

Room Tip: Choose the room with the private courtyard veranda
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
soniat1133, Owner at Soniat House, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
I know that it is a very long and difficult trip to come all the way from Australia but we would love to have you back. Two days in New Orleans is just not long enough.

181 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I have just returned from yet another fabulous vacation in New Orleans. After staying in two of the city’s larger hotels, I decided to look for a more quaint accommodation. The Soniat House has been restored and each room or suite is furnished in its own style with antiques. There are of course, current conveniences, but it has the feel of a bygone era. There are no cell phones allowed in the common areas, so you can enjoy the courtyard and balcony in a peaceful environment. The hotel is located in a quiet area of the French Quarter within walking distance of restaurants, music, and shopping. The staff is very knowledgeable, helpful, and filled with Southern hospitality. The housekeeping is excellent. When I am at the Soniat House, I feel like I am living in New Orleans, not just staying in a hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
soniat1133, Owner at Soniat House, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
May you always feel "at home" at Soniat House.

Thank you for your lovely expression of feeling for " our house."
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

This was my third stay at the Soniat House - it is my favorite place to stay in NOLA! I love the old world charm as I walk through the front door and into the peaceful courtyard. You are
conveniently located in the French Quarter, but you only experience quiet once inside this House. The staff is professional, friendly and so helpful. Each room has antiques and decorated differently but are so comfortable. This is a well run and well kept hotel, however, I enjoy that everyone goes quietly about their work. It is so peaceful! I especially enjoy having their breakfast of homemade hot biscuits, jam, OJ and coffee with hot steamed milk while sitting in the courtyard.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
soniat1133, Owner at Soniat House, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
As most users of Trip Advisor tend to be very observant I will take this time to explain why all reviews posted since early February and a few even earlier are all receiving responses today - and possibly into tomorrow. Trip Advisor sends an email notice to the hotel when a review is posted. For some reason which Trip Advisor could not explain when I called yesterday our email notifications became sporadic and then ceased around the beginning of the year. I have no explanation for why I didn't notice earlier that we were not being reviewed at all. Trip Advisor assures me that the email alert has been reset . I am going to try to "catch up."
Why did I choose this review to explain the situation? As we are this reviewers " Favorite Place to Stay" I assumed that she wouldn't mind.
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

This was our first stay at Soniat House and we enjoyed it. It is a lovely property - quaint and quiet - in an excellent location in the French Quarter. It is an easy walk to just about everything, yet far enough away from the bars and restaurants to ensure a quiet, peaceful stay. The couryards are beautiful, and we understand the rooms are all different and furnished with antiques. We stayed in a standard room on the ground floor (#14). Although our room was nicely decorated and the king bed was very comfortable, the HVAC (air conditioning, bath exhaust fan) were noisy. Additionally, despite the air conditioning (or perhaps because of it) the room felt a little damp and had a trace odor of mustiness. I suspect this is a challenge with many of these century-old buildings, but for what one pays to stay here it should be addressed. Absent the HVAC issue, this is a 5-star property.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
soniat1133, Owner at Soniat House, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
You are so right. The challenges of maintaining buildings which are nearly 200 years old in our damp climate are almost insurmountable but we never stop trying. We have undergone a major refurbishing since your visit. Please do give us another try.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

This hotel is very much a little bit of old New Orleans.There are three houses and they date back to the mid 18 hundreds. They are furnished with beautiful antiques and every room is different and special.The service is fabulous especially from this one gentleman named Calvin who was so helpful and kind. It's on a quiet and beautiful street (Chartres St) next to General Beauregard's home. I would definitely recommend this hotel

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
soniat1133, Owner at Soniat House, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Calvin was very pleased with his "review." If you check out our photographs on the Trip Advisor site you will find an excellent photo of Calvin serving breakfast which you might enjoy seeing. It could bring back happy memories.
Please return soon. It would be a pleasure for all of us to welcome you again.
Lockport, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

This was our first visit to the Cresent City and we could not have been more pleased with the room and service received at the Soniat House. We were within walking distance to most things and yet we had a place to retreat to for old world charm.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
soniat1133, Owner at Soniat House, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
I can't tell you how good is feels to be appreciated.
All of us at Soniat House thank you and look forward to welcoming you back someday.
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I recently stayed at Soniat for the 6th time in the last 5yrs, and I'm so sorry to have to give it an average rating, but it's due (I'd give it 3.5 stars if I could).
In many ways Soniat is analogous to NOLA itself - in both the good and the bad. The aesthetics here are gorgeous, from the beautifully and uniquely decorated rooms (all are filled with antiques and different from one another) to the darling courtyards with fountains and candles. No where looks or feels like this place, just like NOLA. As many have said the location is absolutely perfect.
But on the this last stay the negatives really started to outweigh the positives. The place needs a facelift. The bathrooms in particular are feeling shabby, with chipped paint and fixtures, threadbare towels, ripped low quality shower curtains and low water pressure.
There was a pervasive smell of mildew and mustiness throughout our rooms that was so strong that we had to wash our clothes twice upon our return home to remove it. In fairness, it did pour for days while we were there - perhaps the smell is unavoidable in an old structure when it pours, but regardless it's very unpleasant. Facilities are in desperate need of new a new HVAC system (which might help with the smell) - it's loud and unreliable.
The service was charming if a bit slow and confused (NOLA). Acquiring their famous and delicious biscuits within an hour or housekeeping within a 3hrs was a serious challenge.
I so wish the place were up to the standards of years past, when it was pretty close to perfect. It's still a magical and special place, but a lot of the luxury and comfort have faded. I sure hope they invest in some upkeep. In the meantime, I'm sadly going to start exploring other options.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
soniat1133, Owner at Soniat House, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
It breaks my heart when I read a negative review from a regular guest. Judging from the time frame and the mention of rain I suspect that you were with us for Jazz Fest. That was some rain!
We are in the midst of our annual refurbishment now. Hopefully you will come back to New Orleans soon. I think that you will be pleased.

Been to Soniat House? Share your experiences!