“Best Hotel in New Orleans” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Place d'Armes Hotel

You added Place d'Armes Hotel to your Saves list
Place d'Armes Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   625 St Ann Street, New Orleans, LA 70116 (French Quarter)   |
Special Rate
$89 Weekday Rates
Ranked #33 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Boles, Ark
“Best Hotel in New Orleans”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2007

I have never been dissappointed while staying at the Place D Armes, and again it was a most rewarding stay. This is the only place we will stay in New Orleans, it's in the center of the French Quarter and t he rooms are always clean and comfortable. The employees are very friendly and courteous and are always willing to help an any way. The courtyard is remarkable and very well kept and the pool is large and always clean and sparkling. If you want to experience real southern hospitality, you need to stay here.

• Liked — It's location, c;lean rooms and friendly staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2007

My stay at this hotel was very pleasant. The staff was very nice and helpful. I recommend this hotel to everyone.

Stayed June 2007
Brooklyn, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2007

My best friend and I took a road trip from Wisconsin to New Orleans. When we arrived we were hot, tired and ready to settle in. We were greeted warmly by the garage attendant who flagged down a bellman for us. I was really happy to have such easy parking connected to the hotel and to know it was reasonably safe (staffed 24/7). Check in was a breeze but we were told our room would not be ready for a couple of hours (we arrived at noon). Our luggage was put in storage and off we went to explore the Quarter.

We ended up at some sort of Italian restaurant, Mona Lisa I think, was quite tasty. Went back to the hotel and were able to check into our room. We had requested two beds and courtyard view. The room was great. It was on the second floor of a two story building and directly overlooked the courtyard, had a small balcony to enjoy and we never met our neighbors.

The room was of average size, exposed brick, ceiling fans, lots of windows. It was very quaint to stay here. The bathroom was a bit small without a lot of counter space but we managed. Shower pressure was great.

We were always hot in New Orleans but our air conditioner could more than keep up with our needs in addition to having ceiling fans. I loved the windows during the day time but I prefer a totally dark room at night and there was no way to achieve this as they are simple shades covering the windows. However, it was very quiet and private so that was a minor inconvenience.

Our room was old, as the building itself is well over 100 years old but it was in good repair and always cleaned perfectly.

The front desk people almost always greeted us when we left or returned and were full of good suggestions for dining or tours.

We loved the location of the hotel. Lots of shopping and great eateries within a few steps in either direction. Would gladly recommend this property to others and would stay there again myself.

• Liked — Old World Charm
  • Disliked — Room not dark enough for sleeping
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
apdva
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2007

The best thing about this place is the courtyard. It's an awesome escape from the obnoxiousness of Bourbon street. Our room was fine - without the balcony though, I don't think I would have been so pleased. Didn't try the breakfast - couldn't find it and preferred to head to Cafe Du Monde anyway - which is incredibly close. The bathroom was the only thing really lacking. There was no "real" light in the bathroom - only this really weird red light - and no fan. I also did see a rather large bug in the bathroom - but that is to be expected in an old, tightly built neighborhood - so I don't fault the hotel for it. Fine hotel - not fancy, but if you want to sit outside at night and don't want Bourbon Street, this is the place....

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2007

We were here in May for 4 nights and then returned a week later for another 4 nights. This is a beautiful hotel. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The courtyard is a beautiful setting for the very yummy breakfast in the mornings and a perfect place to relax in the early evening and chat to other guests. The swimming pool as very refreshing after a day of walking. The location of this hotel is perfect. It is quiet but you are right by Jackson Square and a street back from Burbon Street. Easy to get home too if you overdo the drinking in the bars!!!
We found the staff always friendly and willing to give advice and arrange tours away. They were also very helpful as i tried to locate my luggage that the airline had kindly left behind.
We will return to New Orleans, as it is our favorite city and needs more visitors!! PLEASE VISIT and help get things going. Ignore alot of the lies said about the state of the city and go! Its as safe, clean, happy and colourful as it always was. And when we return you will definatley find us in the courtyard of the Place D'Armes.

milford,ct
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2007

Nicely decorated very large room with king size bed, on the top floor of the main building. The only objection I had was that it was a "courtyard" room, so top price, but the view of the courtyard involved bending over and peering through the curtains, since the ceiling is slanted at eye level, due to the mansard roof line of the hotel. The breakfast was very good - coffee, orange juice, croissants or cinnamon coffee rolls, and the brekfast area very pleasant.. We especially recommend the coffee rolls. You can take your breakfast out into the lovely courtyard with flowering bushes and trees and a tinkling fountain - so pleasant. We tried the recommended Cafe du Monde one day, and neither the atmosphere (busy, dirty, noisy), nor the food matched up to the Place D'Armes.
The hotel is idellly located right in the middle of the French Quarter, within wlaking distance of all FQ attractions

• Liked — atmosphere
  • Disliked — top floor level of room
Northwest US
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2007

I booked this hotel after lots of research and reading the reviews on this site. I called the hotel directly (you get a reservation line for 3 New Orleans hotels, all owned by the same company). I got a great rate with a AAA discount for a King deluxe room. It was $109 per night.

My husband and I arrived at night. I was immediately charmed by this place. The garage attendant (there is a private garage) jumped right up and helped unload suitcases from the taxi and brought them into the lobby. The woman at the desk was funny and welcoming and put us right at ease after our long travel day. She assured us that we would love our room.

We were in room 302, which overlooks St. Anne street with its own balcony. The room was spacious and clean with a king bed, armoire, table and chairs. The bath was small but very clean. One walls of the bedroom was exposed brick. There was also table and chairs on the balcony. The room was charming and comfortable.

The bed was great and we got a good nights sleep. I woke early, grabbed cafe au lait and beignets at Cafe du Monde just a block away and sat on the balcony. There is a bit of morning noise each a.m. as people open stores and hose down sidewalks. But there is no nighttime noise or noise from other rooms. We never even heard the elevator, which was just across the hall.

The courtyard is beautiful, lush with plantings. I didn't use the pool. It is small and I didn't see anyone use it. We did sit in the courtyard for breakfast one morning. The croissants, coffee, and juice are complimentary, but with Cafe du Monde and Croissant d'Or just blocks away, we usually got breakfast at one of those places and sat on our balcony to eat. We also got a muffaleta at Central Grocery (2 blocks away) and ate it on the balcony.

The staff was friendly and helpful. Our room was promptly cleaned every morning when we left for any amount of time. The front desk staff called cabs for us when we needed it and recommended places to eat.

Muriel's restaurant is next to this hotel and is a wonderful place for a quiet meal.

I can't wait to visit New Orleans again, and I will definitely stay here. I will ask for the same room!

• Liked — location and architectural charm
  • Disliked — some minimal early morning street noise
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Place d'Armes Hotel? Share your experiences!