“Rooms - hit or miss but great location & summer price!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Place d'Armes Hotel

You added Place d'Armes Hotel to your Saves list
Place d'Armes Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   625 St Ann Street, New Orleans, LA 70116 (French Quarter)   |
Announcement
New Bedding In All Rooms
Ranked #35 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Houston
“Rooms - hit or miss but great location & summer price!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

I totally agree with the reviews about the rooms. I specifically reserved a room with the hotel website hoping to get a good review, but that didn't work. Our room was on the 5th floor and it had a very strong musty/mildew/funky smell. We learned that if we turned the air low and kept the fan on high it helped. I tried to upgrade but they were full. She offered to have us try another room the following day but I didn't want to mess with moving rooms. The smell was much better than some of the smells on the street & for $69 I wasn't too upset. I was worried the room would feel like a dark cell like some reviewers mentioned, but not having a window really didn't bother me. I also made sure to look for roaches because of another review and there were none. The room was extremely clean (they even cleaned the tub each day) and I didn't get the heebies about sleeping in the bed like I do at some hotels. The beds were comfortable. Breakfast is quite boring so don't book just because of the free breakfast. But the coffee was good. We had great fun talking with the tourist in the courtyard. The hotel felt very safe - good place for a girl's weekend. Location could not be any better. The hotel had families and young kids. Really the only drawback was the funky smell.... but if you know that is a possibility like we did it's not so bad.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
Newark, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

We stayed here twice during our last visit to N.O. Our first stay we had a room that was a double/double....but actually it was a queen/queen which was a big plus. The woman at the front desk who seems to work weekday mornings was not particularly friendly or accomodating, in fact, I felt like she hated me. The day of our check in we arrived at about 10:30 am to be told that the room would be ready in a little while. It was a very stormy day. We left, had breakfast and saw an IMAX show. We tried to stay away as long as possible in hopes that the room would be available upon our return. We returned at about 1:00pm to be told the room wasn't ready. We had given our car to the parking attendant already and were in the lobby with our belongings. With no options left, exhausted from our 3:00am departue from our house in NJ, wew alked in the rain over to St. Louis cathedral and sat (like homeless people) in the church for about an hour. We returned to the hotel and sat in the lobby till about 3:30pm & was finally given a room. This room was OK. It was a courtyard room.
We left the hotel for 3 days to visit family and upon returning, we stayed in a King Jr. Suite. "WHAT A DIFFERENCE!" Spend the extra money it is well worth it. we met people with a balcony room and when they saw ours, they said ours was so much better then theirs. We had a courtyard room that was sparkling clean, beautiful and in the best spot. Our doors opened right to the pool area. My teen daughter and cousin had a different queen/queen directly across from the one we stayed in during our first visit. This room seemed a little bit newer and nicer, but there was this horrible stench that was covered up by a very strong perfume smell. I couldn't bear it for more then a minute or two, but the girls said they didn't mind it at all. Being that we had 3 room during our visit 6/29-7/09/10 I noticed a huge difference in the rooms.
OK so the bottom line is: If you get a great room your gonna be happy. The breakfast is just the same old cherry, blueberry, apple or cheese danish every single day. Croissants, apples and oranges, coffee, tea or OJ. If you get there later then 9:00, you probably wont get danish or there may be one or 2 left. They need to order more then they do.
The pool is cleaned almost everyday. the trees surrounding it tend to drop petals in the pool, but it isn't dirty by any means. I think it may be a salt water pool, water seemed slightly salty to me. There are alot of mosquitos in the court yard....so bring bug spray or better yet yard gaurd! The courtyard is nice enough to just hang out in or entertain friends. There was a wedding performed in the courtyard one afternoon.
The guys who get the cars do an amazing job. Just call them when getting ready to leave your room and there is really no wait. My husband did tip them well, so maybe that was why :)
The entire staff (except the one woman in the morning) was great and went out of their way. At night, the woman who watches the desk, locks the door, and only buzzes in people staying at the hotel.
The location is as good as it gets. Even though its right in the heart of the french quarter, its quiet. My husband is from New Orleans and we visit alot. This was by far my favorite hotel we have stayed in. If you wanna feel like you are in N.O. and love being able to access everything with ease, this is the place for you.
If you want a modern chain hotel, I do like the Sherraton on Canal St., because it has a pool on the roof...........but it's just an ordinary chain hotel. Not as convienient, on an awful street that has no charm whatsoever, and without a car, you are gonna be doing alot of walking.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

This hotel is located a stones throw from Jackson square and Cafe Du Monde. We paid for a room with a balcony and when we got here there was a balcony but it was not accessible through our room. The hotel was very accommodating and gave us a junior suite instead with a balcony- a great upgrade for a family. We chose not to have made service because there was no in room safe and we were pleasantly surprised finding a bag of fresh towels on our door when we returned in the afternoon from exploring. The breakfast was okay, some good coffee and cheap pastries. We were also happy to find that they had free wi-fi. The worst part of the hotel was the bed. It was very hard. All things considered though, we would forgo the bad bed for all that this hotel offers at the very reasonable rate.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

Out the gate I was not happy with the staff at Place D'Armes because of the poor attitude I was getting from the the lady taking reservation. She made me feel as though I was putting her out. I other words don't bother me. But becasue the location was so great and the pricing reasonable I made the my reservations; 2 months in advance.
The customer service rep (I use that term loosely with her) never verified any of my information. Hey, maybe she's better than I thought. Noooott. Nearly a month later I had to call them for my confirmation email. They didn't get my email information correct. I have to say the second lady I spoke to was much better. She sounnded professional and educated. They got the email address corrct this time ans I recieved and email. The problem is that they then got the dates wrong. The confirmation showed 8 Jun to 11 Jun. I was due for the Jul. Well as you can see the abriviation look pretty similar, I missed itm butr they charged me. I recieved the confirmation on the 28 or so of May so a few days came and by the time I realized what happened... they charged me.
So not only did I not have a room for my visit they charged me for it. I tried to work this out wtih the GM and it was at that point I realized why this place operates the way it does. I was to recieve a call back from Bobby Valentio; it never happened.
I'm from New Orleans, I was trying to help the local economy by patronizing some of the local businesses. Let's just say Marriot was grateful to see me. Katrina, BP oil spill. you guys need to think before you .......

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

Place D'Armes is located a half-block from Jackson Square in a great area of the French Quarter. It's clean, comfy and charming - with a small but nice pool and a lovely courtyard area. Breakfasts are basic but good. They have valet parking.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Bucks County
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

We were so taken by the charm of this hotel, that we have booked a return visit in the fall. I read some of the reviews the night before I headed to New Orleans and was a bit worried. No need to be!! Yes, there was some natural debris in the pool, but it was in a lovely courtyard full of foliage. That is to be expected. My friends & I just loved the character of the hotel. My flight arrived early & I couldn't check in, the young lady pointed me in the directions of some good food & checked my bags. When I returned, still before check in, she had a room ready for me!! In the mornings, I enjoyed fresh crossiants and coffee in the courtyard, followed by a refreshing swim before heading out for a day of shopping & sightseeing. Lovely!! If ya want New & Shiny, try the Westin........if ya want character & charm........go for The Place D Arms!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

I have been staying at the Place d'Armes for several years. Amazing location, helpful and friendly staff, perfect beds, and charm by the buckets!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo

Been to Place d'Armes Hotel? Share your experiences!