“Our Annual New Orleans Trip and Hotel Stay at the Place D' Armes” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Place d'Armes Hotel

Save Saved
You added Place d'Armes Hotel to your Saves list
Place d'Armes Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   625 St Ann Street, New Orleans, LA 70116 (French Quarter)   |
Special Rate
$89 Weekday Rates
Ranked #36 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Houston
“Our Annual New Orleans Trip and Hotel Stay at the Place D' Armes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2009

This is the very first time that we are writing a review on the Place D'Armes...but, we have been going to New Orleans for the first week of December for the past 4 years and have been staying at the Place D'Armes each time we have went.

We at first chose The Place D'Armes because of location and price. What better location can one have....right in the middle of Jackson Square? You are 2 blocks from Bourbon Street, just on the other side of the St Louis Cathedral is Pat O'Briens, and one block down is Cafe Du Monde and the ever famous French Market. So, as you can see, you are right smack in the middle of it all!!!!

One of the other very pleasent items we encountered was the hotel staff and the GM (Mr. "Bubby" Valentino). The hotel staff is very friendly and will make sure to geaux out of the way to make your stay simply out of this world. It is very nice to have the experience of having the hotel staff, as you enter the hotel upon arrival, smile at you, and ask, "How may we help you". Each time we have stayed, we have asked various hotel staff members for restaurant suggestions and they have been just "spot on" for what we were looking for. One time my wife and I were in a food discussion with the front end staff and the GM, Mr. Valentino, came out of his office (after overhearing the discussion) and gave us a few suggestions as well.

One very nice surprise was that the hotel also provides you a "free" breakfast to help you start out your day. It is just a wonderful idea to start out your day by stopping by, having either a fruit filled pastry or a croissant w/jelly, a fresh brewed cup of coffee and orange juice, and being able to read the morning paper.

Another one of the items that we simply adore about staying at The Place D' Armes is the history of the buildings and the way that the Valentino's have kept the hotel in that old world style and charm. I learned about the history of the hotel from one of the very old hotel staff members and from Mr. Valentino himself. The building was first used as a slave trade building. You can actually stay in one of thier Junior Suite rooms, which was the actual room where the slaves were kept. The room still has the steel bars over the window...and there is even a part of the wall, by the door, where the slaves carved out to show what part of Africa where they were taken from. After the slave trade was abolished, it was then turned into the very first school (all boys) and stayed the school until one of the boys started a fire in his dorm room and burned most of the school living quarters down. The building was then rebuilt and made into a ware house building. Then it was purchased and made into a hotel (why not, the rooms were already there because of the design of the school and the dorm rooms). The room that my wife and I enjoy to stay in, room 122, was actually the room provided to the "Head Master" of the school. The room has a king-size bed, full bath, a wet bar set-up, and is right in the back of the courtyard, on the first floor of the old dormitory area. The only thing that we ask is that you DO NOT request our room on the very first weekend of December...besides, I think that Mr. Valentino has us booked for that room for next year already! :)

Now, on all good reviews, there should always not just be all good items....because there is always something that can be improved upon. This year we did notice that the old matresses have been replaced with new ones (so, our previous years item has been resolved). We still think that paying $28.00 dollars a night is way to high for pareking your car (if you are staying in the hotel)....but, the affordability of the hotel makes up for the extra cost of parking your car. The only last complaint that I can give is that the coffee provided in the room is horriable....LOL....my wife and I always stop by the grocery store (one block away - up Royal Street) and purchase some Community Coffee and filters.
Hopefully this will give you a little look into the hotel, the history of the place, and why we will keep going to this hotel every year that we visit New Orleans.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

1,530 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
Memphis, TN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2009

Place D'Armes is certainly not the worst hotel...the location is fabulous, the staff is friendly and the courtyard is gorgeous.

That's where the good things to say end.

The website is VERY misleading as far as "balcony rooms" go. I saw another review in which the reviewer mentioned that she felt lied to because she had to walk out of her room and down the hall to the balcony. Same here. We got one of those same rooms. And then she mentioned that she got switched to a room that had a window that opened up to the balcony...all i can say is that's got to be better than having a room that is adjacent to a balcony that ANYONE in the freaking hotel could access (with a window to said balcony that is directly behind the headboard of the bed).

The walls are paper thin. My husband and I were woken up at around 6 am by other vacationers in the next room who we discovered were actually talking at a reasonable volume.

There is absolutely NO bathroom privacy. There are two slatted doors and approximately 10 feet separating the toilet from the bed. Not so awesome.

The continental breakfast - coffee, oj, water, croissants and some danishes - was mediocre as best.

The rooms were pretty shabby. There was a layer of dust on the walls from the ac/ceiling fan. Clearly the walls had not been cleaned in several months.

The blanket (not bedspread) had lots of holes (cigarette burns?), the mattress was on beyond firm to "hard."

I felt like the room could have easily been broken into - there is a physical key instead of a card and the deadbolt is only able to be engaged when one is in the room.

Sunday our rate was $90. Place d'Armes _might_ be worth that...but Sunday our rate was $160 and I feel incredibly ripped off by that.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Florence
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2009

My daughter and I enjoyed the most delightful weekend in New orleans. My only disappointment was when we got to our room at the Place D'Armes I immediatly went to the balcony and discovered that we didn't have a balacony.
I had spent two weeks searching for the perfect place to stay with a balacony in New Orleans. There were many hotels that I could have chosen but because the Place D'Arems assured me a balacony, I made my reservation.
When I called down to the desk I was informed that the balcony was there I just had to go out the door and down the hall to acces the balcony. Mind you the picture on the internet that was labeled "balcony room" showed a door from the room leading directly to a private balcony. I was very upset and offered a discount on the room and was assured that as soon as a true balcony room opened up, we would be moved. We were moved two days later and found that a balcony room does not include a door but a Window to climb through. Our room was wonderful, the pool was great, the location was the best but I don't like being lied too.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Bayonne, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2009

Place D'Armes Hotel is located in a historic building, the site of Louisiana's first school in 1725. The hotel is kept in beautiful condition, with a charming courtyard in the center. The hotel pool is located in the courtyard, it is relatively small, though large and deep enough for doing laps; I only wish that it were heated! My room was a ground floor "deluxe room" facing the courtyard, and was quiet and restful. What an attractive room! The room's furniture fit the historic ambiance of the hotel. Bathroom was large, with plenty of towels. Breakfast is included with the room rate, but that consists of danishes, croissants, bananas, tea, coffee, and orange juice. However, with the abundance of Creole restaurants in walking distance for lunch and dinner, a light breakfast seems in order anyway. A great Creole restaurant, Muriel's, is located next door. Half a block away, the Royal Street Deli is a good place for breakfast and lunch. The hotel's location is fantastic, half a block from Jackson Square and right around the corner from St. Louis Cathedral; this is literally the center of the French Quarter. Definitely a five-star hotel at a three-star price!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Americus
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2009

Place D Armes has been a home away from home each time I am in New Orleans. Location is great and a real New Oleans feel. Only draw back is, parking rate is high with no discounts the longer you stay and beware of the bedding, like sleeping on a board. I would recommend this hotel but just be ware..........

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2009

We have been staying in the Place d'Armes for approx 15 yrs; it is my bday present and we go every yr. As I have been in love w/New Orleans for many yrs, I have a ball walking & taking pix. My husband thoroly enjoys sitting on the balcony of our rm and watching the world go by. Altho we miss very much Miss Pat, the concierge who is gone every Aug, we have found ALL the employees extremely helpful to assist you in any way. Neither of us prefer a larger more contemporary hotel; this one has a great deal of charm which this incredible city exudes. We look forward to our return in 2010 are thinking seriously about Christmas this yr too. sue kubecka

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Goldsboro, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2009

If you and your partner are looking for the perfectly romantic place in the French Quarter, then this hotel is the ticket. It's centrally located to most anything anyone would want to see or do - most importantly, the courtyard is indescribable and the most integral part of the romance and intrigue of this hotel - not to mention the history behind the several buildings that makeup the hotel (be sure to ask "Bubby" about it). The general manager (Bubby) and his staff are absolutely excellent at making sure your stay is perfect. We were married in the courtyard and will NEVER forget he experience! The prices are fantastic, considering what other surrounding hotels in the French Quarter charge. Sure...the fancy, well known hotels of the French Quarter are very nice, but my wife and I find that lots of marble and brass and mirrors are a little on the "cold" side; in contrast, the lush foliage - especially the two magnolia trees, which are over 100 years old - make the courtyard of Place d'Armes so romantic and captivating that it's worth staying there JUST to see it, but the rooms are each so unique and perfectly appointed that you won't ever want to leave! We had the opportunity to stay in three totally different rooms and loved each one of them for different reasons. There are many balconies facing the courtyard, as well as one facing Chartres Street, which gives you a spectacular, juxtaposed view of the St. Louis Cathedral and Jackson Square. You CANNOT ask for a better location or a better place to spend a romantic time with your "special" person. Do yourself a favor...book a weekend NOW! and see for yourself - you'll not regret it! And be sure to ask for the general manager; he is absolutely the most warm and personable man I've met in the hotel business, and he'll give you some historical "tidbits" that will leave you hungry for more!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Place d'Armes Hotel? Share your experiences!