“Wonderful Hotel, Great Location, Lots of Charm” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Place d'Armes Hotel

Save Saved
You added Place d'Armes Hotel to your Saves list
Place d'Armes Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   625 St Ann Street, New Orleans, LA 70116 (French Quarter)   |
Offers & Announcements
$89 Weekday Rates
Ranked #34 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Baltimore
“Wonderful Hotel, Great Location, Lots of Charm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

My friend and I decided to spend a long weekend in New Orleans to catch up. We chose this hotel because of it's good reviews here, it's affordable price, and it's amazing location. We arrived on a Friday morning and we able to store our bags while we wandered around town.

We had a double room with a window, but no balcony. It over looked the street and we had a great view of the Cathedral. We were able to walk EVERYWHERE we wanted to go in the city from here. The nice part is that it's so central to all the stores, restaurants, tours, Jackson square, etc. but it's not noisy or crazy at all. Our room was beautiful, lots of old style charm (although I'm fairly convinced it's haunted, I've heard rumors).

They provided breakfast each day, but we usually chose to go to Cafe Du Monde instead. For the value, you can't find a better hotel in town. I would go back in a heart beat.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

You couldn't beat the location and the price! The hotel was in the middle of the French Quarter, so walking to all our New Orleans destinations was easy. We had an easy walk to public transportation, including the street cars. The company we took our swamp tour with picked us up at the hotel, as did the rental car agency when we rented a car for the day to tour some plantations. All in all, it was a very easy city to get around in without having a car for the whole trip.

The price, $79.00 for all days except Friday, couldn't be beat! The courtyard area was charming- a great place to just relax and read a book during the late afternoon before heading out for the evening again. The pool was small but clean and well kept.

The choice of restaurants in the city was outstanding, and the people at all of the places both in and outside of New Orleans that we went to were very friendly. Some of our favorite restaurants were Mulate's (great Zydeco music and dancing), Cafe Dumond, The Court of Two Sisters. We even learned how to eat crawfish, which is not a skill most Californians possess!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

From the moment I got on my airport shuttle I heard great things about this hotel. The driver who had lived in N.O. his whole life said it was a great place to stay because it wasn't directly on Bourbon Street, but close to it. It looks basic from the curb but I loved all the flags representing the countries of the guests and the old lanterns that burn throughout the night.

I had only reserved a basic room but when I told the front desk clerk it was my first time in N.O. and I was alone until my friends met me the next day...she most definitely decided to take care of me and placed me in a balcony room. Which it seemed online was a higher charge for the night, and after talking to my neighbors on said balcony...it was confirmed they had paid $50+ more for their room than I did for mine! (I even booked for under $100 before taxes)

The room was decorated with an old french country feel...I imagine like most non-chain hotels in N.O. But I liked the decor. The bathroom was a little out of date but not in anyway the worst I have seen. The room had a king bed, armoire with TV and some storage drawers, small table and two chairs. There was a small closet as well.

The balcony was a dream come true. It was amazing to enjoy a sunset before dinner and hear all the sounds of Jackson Square and Bourbon Street in the distance. In the morning you can walk up to Cafe Du Monde since it is literally half a block from the hotel and enjoy beignets on the balcony...or enjoy the free breakfast in the wonderful historic little cafe off the lobby. I spent my post breakfast/pre check out time in the goregous Southern courtyard, book in hand, feet in the pool.

When I come back to N.O. I will for sure check the rates for the Place D'Armes and might even spring full price to get the balcony room again...it was exactly what I wanted for my first New Orleans experience.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
St. Louis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

We had a great experience at the place d' arms. We would stay again. The staff was fantastic. The hotel sits right off of Bourbon. The hotel has a pool which is a great relief after a hot day. The rooms are a little outdated but if you are disappointed with the room you are spending too much time in it and need to go out and explore New Orleans. The rooms are reasonably priced for the quality. If you prefer a better room be ready to pay a lot more for it in New Orleans. Great hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
NYC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2009

Can not agree more with the previous review; aside from the location, I can not say anything good about the hotel.

We arrived at the hotel at 3:35 PM on Thursday, September 02. The staff at the front desk was counting money; it took about 3 minutes before they finally looked at us. "Last name?" - that was the first phrase we heard. No welcoming, no "HI", no smile.
After I provided the information, the next thing was "His name?". His name was not of a dog, but of my partner standing next to me. Never mind that she could have asked him directly; for some reason she decided not to and stick to her prison-like questions.
Finally, after taking his information, she said - " The check- in time is 4 PM, you are too early and you room is not ready" . She asked me to leave my phone number and said that she would call when they room is ready.
She did not offer to us to wait at the court yard, or in the dining room, to read a paper, etc.
We went for a walk in the FQ. By 5 PM, not hearing back from the hotel, we went back. The room was ready.
Even though I made my fully prepaid reservation in January and specifically asked for a courtyard room ( and confirmed my request at least 3 times), I did not get what I requested.
I am not complaining about the room because I knew from the friends (who stayed there before ) that the rooms are a bit outdated.
But there were dead plants on the balcony and the pots were being used as garbage cans. Judging by the amount of garbage,I don't think they were ever cleaned.
In 3 days of our stay we never heard a word of greetings from the front desk staff. One day I asked people by the pool about their experience, and it turned out that they all had the same treatment. There was actually one front desk person who made a point of turning away when you looked at her.
Since our flight was at 6 AM, we asked for a wake up call. The person who took our request ( the same slim lady that would tun away) sighed as if I asked her to carry us to the airport on her back. No wonder that the wake up call neve happened. Luckily we had called the car service in advance and the driver woke us up.
The person who was at the front desk at that moment was actually very apologetic to us and very friendly ( may be that's why they keep her at night?)
Not sure how the hotel made top 10 - once again, aside from the location, there is nothing going for it. The breakast is very basic ( the breakfast serving staff was very nice, I have to mention). But the rooms are very outdated and in need of repair ( once again, something we knew and expected - so no complain about that).
But the staff rudeness of Place d'Armes was something I never experienced in my 7 years of travel to New Orleans.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2009

Not sure how this hotel got to rank #9 in the top 10 hotels in New Orleans. It is in a great location, but that is about the only good thing about this hotel.

Inhospitable staff behind desk, which is rare in New Orleans! Very disappointing! It was our first (and last) stay at this hotel. We should have been informed about things like the time and location of breakfast, but were not. A piece of paper with this information would have sufficed. Neither were offered.

Our room was dark, musty, noisy, shabbily furnished, and the bed was uncomfortable, and our pillows were lumpy. My husband and I did not sleep very well, because we were itching all night. Could have been due to the poor quality bed linens.

I have been visiting New Orleans and staying in the French Quarter for at least 20 years. This is the worst experience that I have ever had.

Newlyweds, stay away!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2009

the hotel was in the perfect location! room was big with window I belive the deluxe room, tucked away in our own hallway, the courtyard and pool area was charming! Enjoyed the feel at the hotel, like old New Orleans! the continental breakfast wasnt much but good coffee and tea to start the day before the real New Orleans food!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to Place d'Armes Hotel? Share your experiences!