“Flawless New Orleans Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Place d'Armes Hotel

You added Place d'Armes Hotel to your Saves list
Place d'Armes Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   625 St Ann Street, New Orleans, LA 70116 (French Quarter)   |
Special Rate
$89 Weekday Rates
Ranked #33 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Denton, Texas
“Flawless New Orleans Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

I stayed at this hotel with a friend of mine from August 11 to August 14 of 2009, and it was absolutely fantastic. We had an interior room with two double beds. The room was clean, and the beds were extremely comfortable. I love the layout of the hotel; it definitely feels old, what with the smaller scale of everything, the fact that there are rooms in the main building as well as auxiliary buildings out back (redone carriage houses, etc.), and the beautifully old-fashioned French Quarter décor, but I certainly didn't feel that the amenities were old. The internet service was fast and reliable, the concierge was very kind and helped us find good restaurants for dinner, and the courtyard was lovely (although we didn't have a lot of time to spend in it). I would DEFINITELY stay here again, and I hope to do so perhaps this upcoming December. Also, New Orleans itself is in great shape. This is my third or fourth visit, post-Katrina, and it's looking better than ever. We had great fun and thoroughly enjoyed the shops, restaurants, and people of the French Quarter, which reminds me: the location of this hotel is UNBEATABLE. Right next to the cathedral and just down the street from Café du Monde -- can't beat that!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
West, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2009

We stayed 4 nights in late August. This hotel has a wonderful and caring staff and our Courtyard room was roomy and very nice. Hotel price was very attractive, and being just at the corner of Jackson Square, very near the St. Louis cathedral--it's the very heart of the French Quarter. We'll definitely stay there next year if they keep their reasonable prices. Only minor comment is: the pool needs a cosmetic makeover. But, this didn't really bother us--we were too busy combing the streets of the French Quarter and didn't even use the pool. All in all, the Place D'Armes is a Big Thumbs Up!

Milwaukee, Wisconisn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2009

When I found out this hotel is owned by the same company who ownes the hotel we stayed at last year I tried to change reserfvation to another hotel. I was suprised and releaved when we got to the hotel. It is clean, other reviews complained about mold in the shower and dirty smelly carpet. I found none of this. The bathroom appeared to have been receintly redone. The ony cmplaint is that the shower rod feel down a couple times. We got a room with no window, which was just fine by me. I don't go to New Orleans to sit in a hotel room looking out a window. There is a continental breakfast, nothing great but it is coffee and juice to get the day started. They have a killer courtyard, with different seating areas. The pool is large and clean. Criss was the door/bell person. He does a fantistic job. Helps people with luggage, packages or anything he can. Opposite to the other hotel where the bell operson never moved from behing their stand. Criss is always anxious to answere questions, give directions or assiste guests with whatever they need. He does a fantistic PR job for the hotel. The only complaint I had is that our room was never cleaned until after 3 or 4 in the afternoon. Thats when I wanted to go back to the hotel and relax befor heading out for the evening. But I could not because the room was not clean. One day they came after 5 pm to clean the room. They did not leave soap or shampoo in the room for several days. The location can not be better, location is on the corner or Jackson Square close to just about everything in the quarter. Over all we had a good experience and will stay there again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Zanesville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

We were traveling to New Orleans to bring our daughter to Tulane and thought we would take advantage of the trip and stay in the French Quarter. We arrived before noon and our room was not ready, we were referred to a place for a great lunch and they offered to put our bags in the room when it became available. When we returned, our bags were brought to the room. Although we booked an interior room, we were not sure what that meant. The room had no windows, which I found to be a bit annoying, but after you come to grips with it, it is not that bad. The room was quiet and the air conditioning was fantastic. The hotel is quite charming and has all of the appeal of the French Quarter, without all of the noise of Bourbon St.! The location could not be better as it is in short walking distance of all the things one wants to see in the Quarter, and just a short stumble back from a night on Bourbon St! The ONLY downside of this hotel is the parking. It has a garage on-site, but all the cars are transported upstairs via an elevator 1 car at a time, and on Saturday night we waited 30 minutes to have our car brought down, which caused us to be late for a reservation. In the future, we know to call ahead...no big deal!

San Antonio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

This hotel is for people who love history and the quaintness of the local flavor of their destination. It is in the heart of the French Quarter and within walking distance to many great shops and restaurants. The rooms are lovely and very authentic but still extremely comfortable and modern. The first morning there, I awoke before my family and went downstairs and had coffee and a croissant in the most lush green, serene courtyard next to a fountain. It was so peaceful. The employees at the hotel are very friendly and helpful and I will go back again and again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

My family and I just got back from spending two nights in NOLA. It was wonderful! It was our first time visiting the city and we wanted a place which had the feel of New Orleans while still being convenient to all the places we wanted to visit. This hotel was perfect! It's located right beside the Jackson Park, but it's tucked away on St. Ann's Street away from people.

We booked a balcony room which is highly suggested. It was large and really nice! Our two young kids LOVED started their day sitting out on the balcony and feeding the little sparrows crushed Cheese Its. We had some concerns about how noisy it would be, but the street sounds are minimal. Except for the nightly collection of garbage around 10pm, there wasn't another peep heard (the collection process lasted about five minutes only).

The other couple with us booked a courtyard room. Though they overlooked the beautiful courtyard, the room was a bit small. I'm not sure if they're all the same size or if they vary, but the extra money for an upgraded balcony room is well worth it.

I had read the reviews here about how beautiful the courtyard is. I had high expectations and I wasn't disappointed. It IS wonderful! You can sit and relax there all day if you wanted - and some do! There are chairs and reclining chairs around the pool to do just that.

Bourbon Street is two blocks away. We were a bit nervous taking our two young kids (ages 6 and 10) to see the sights on the street, but were told we'd be fine during the week (Sunday through Wednesday), but stay away from the western part of the street during the rest of the week. We walked the street on a Wednesday night and it was fine. No flashing at all. However, my husband left the kids with our friends for a bit the following evening and it was quite different. Flashing of chests and vivid pictures could be easily found.

I would stay at this hotel again and again. The location is perfect, the price is perfect and so is the atmosphere.

RECOMENDATIONS: We took the swamp tour by Airboat Adventures. It was one of the best experiences of our lives! The airboat keeps you cool and takes you on a fun rip roaring trip (not scary at all, but lots of fun for people of all ages). It also slows down and stops to allow plenty of time to see the wildlife - especially the allegators in which some are handfed and come right up to the boat (and even partway into it as well!). It's about a 40 minutes trip from the French Quarter, but well worth it.

Though Bourbon Street is known for it's rowdiness, it also has some GREAT music for FREE! My husband and I bar hopped from place to play listening to music ranging from the Blues, Ragtime and Rock and Roll. They don't charge a cover which is wonderful! You can spend as little or as long as you want at each place. Also, the blocks up near the hotel end of town are fairly "rowdy-free" meaning mininal "chest showing" and no strip clubs. The further down Bourbon Street you head (towards the sky scrapers), the more rowdy it gets. You people of all ages.

Parking: I would suggest you park in the hotel parking lot. The price of $25 is the going rate around town so you won't find any lots cheaper. However, should you have a car that is perhaps "older" or with some dents and such, feel free to park in front of the hotel for free. Others do, but they tend to park close so there may be some "tapping" against your bummers with the cars in front or behind of your car while they try to get out of their spot in the morning. However, it's well lit and I think fairly safe.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

We stayed at the Place D'Armes Hotel for a week to celebrate our anniversary and attend a friend's wedding. The location is absolutely superb! It's mere steps to St. Louis Cathedral, the French Market and Cafe du Monde, Jackson Square, and even Bourbon Street if you're inclined to that sort of experience. Truly in the heart of the French Quarter. Yet, it remained a quiet, serene little respite from the hustle and bustle of the Quarter. Like New Orleans itself, the Place D'Armes Hotel has a rather shabby chic aesthetic. We loved this, but it may not suit everybody. This is not to suggest the hotel isn't clean, but rather that it isn't vanilla or sterile. The lovely hotel courtyard teems with vegetation and lots of small, local wildlife like birds, lizards, dragonflies and the like. Each room is carved out of a series of old town houses and each is unique often featuring exposed brick and strange little nooks with writing desks. The staff are polite and helpful (though some exhibit the New Orleanian brusqueness that has sometimes been compared to a softened version of New York toughness). They were quick to offer sugestions about what to do, see, or eat when asked and always knew directions to anything we needed from grocery stores to nail salons.

On top of all that, New Orleans is a traveller's dream. We experienced everything from Bourbon Street carousing to prayers in St. Louis Cathedral to book shopping in the rooms where William Faulkner wrote to food, food, and more food. It was our first time back since the storms and I'm kicking myself for waiting so long.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Place d'Armes Hotel? Share your experiences!